Puppeteer

Author Topic: Listeroid Price Increase?  (Read 16888 times)

T19

Listeroid Price Increase?
« on: November 14, 2005, 03:02:37 AM »
When I started looking at installing a Listeroid I was getting prices in the $975 range to $1100.  Now everyone site seems to have a price of $1490 for the same unit.  So what gives??? :(

I hope it is because we North Americans are demanding a greater deal of quality from India and that is the difference. :)

Any ideas?? :o

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Listeroid Price Increase?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:17:07 PM »
while i have seen a small price rise, i dont think it is as much as you are thinking. joel kock in oregon is selling high quality 6hp singles starting at 895 on ebay. i have an engine listed for 1400 on the for sale, but it includes the price to bring it into wisconsin. shipping has been most of the price increase because of the high price of fuel. i hope to be in the position to bring engines into the midwest by the container which would lower the price considerably. until someone in the midwest does, it seems only those on the coast are bringing them in large numbers

quinnf

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 05:34:07 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed there are prices and there are prices.  Somebody was selling GM-90s for $795, recently. 

I think for an engine you intend to run the Indian versions are fine.  They wouldn't be able to sell them there if they weren't long-lived.  But for the aficionado, I wonder what it would cost to bring a _real_ Lister in from GB.  Sounds like they are still available there from time to time. 

Quinn

crash922108

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:29:37 PM »
I have been in contact with Mr. Atul Patel with Anand Enterprise, the same company that manufactured rocketboy's listeroid. He quoted me a price of $778 shipped to the port of Houston, Tx for the 6/1. Of course port clearance charges, import duties, shipping agent fees and inland transportation will be extra. I wont have to worry about inland transportation charges because I only live 80 miles east of houston.  The 12/2 that I want is $1391.

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 01:06:54 PM »
Hi Listers,

I bought all my original Lister CS engines fromebay UK.

The price varies a lot depending on the quality and condition - most of these engines were built before 1950!

A few years ago, nobody wanted a big heavy diesel that only produced 6hp.  A lot were scrapped and lost forever.  Some enthusiasts then started to restore them, and they would change hands for about  US$ 70.

The problem with the CS is that it is generally too big and heavy for most people's cars here (no pick ups).  Enthusasts normally go for smaller engines like the Lister D which will easily go in the back of a station waggon.

Lister CS engines were generally unpopular for this reason, and so remained cheap until George B, started a rennaissance.

I paid $455 for my first 6/1 and generator and it ran without any rebuild work.  Other engines have varied in price from $230 to $430.

I guess if I investigated the shipping costs, I could send a few of the ol'boys over!

regards,

Ken

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:47:43 AM »
 I live only 3 blocks from the Oldstylelisters.com seller and he has raised his price from $995. to $1495 for a 6/1 Lister. His price for a 12/2 is $3000. Sounds like some of the dealers are making extra buck on the EPA thing. That is why I went with John Alvin in lebenon, Oregon at Power-co.net to get my 12/2 650rpm Lister. Saved $1100. bucks even though I have to go down and pick it up.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 11:35:26 PM »
Is John still selling the Metro brand?
Stan

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 12:13:33 AM »
 Stan, Yes John is still selling the Metro brand but now getting the better quaility ones. Have you had any expirences with him good or bad?

Stan

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 02:06:22 AM »
Hi Loren....Nope, I'm not in the market for another 6 - 8 months due to an impending move.  I't be silly to purchase 800 lbs of engine and then turn around and move it 1000 miles, 8 mo later.  I've done more than the normal amount of research though (I'm that kind of guy) and have some serious notes on the various engines.  I don't want to "publish" them though because of the volatile nature of the market.  Different makes vary tremendously with the "batch" number under which they were made, and even within the same batch.  It seems that some of the manufacturers are listening to the internet publicity and taking steps to remedy the imperfections such as casting sand etc.  The whole business is in a state of turmoil that we here in N. America cannot even imagine.  I suspect that if the listeroid market becomes as widespread as it seems to be getting, a few of the more astute manufacturers will "corner the market" and then prices will really skyrocket.  For now the best advice I have heard is that if you want a good engine, you just have to cross your fingers and buy one THEN tear it down and make it into a good engine yourself, (or pay someone else to do it for you).
Stan
Actually, there might even be a profitable business in buying some of the less desirable makes and whipping them into shape for the DIY challenged.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 03:49:35 AM »
"Actually, there might even be a profitable business in buying some of the less desirable makes and whipping them into shape for the DIY challenged."

Big time BINGO!!

Show it, offer to help move it, and it's sold!

The worst quality Indian iron is still better than high grade plastic!  There are more and more people that have had enough polymolybutyl-glassfibre-BS and recognize the beauty of things that outlive us while outworking us so we can be working less and living more.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

T19

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 11:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking at getting a unit form John up here in Ottawa.  I beleive he is using the same units as George.  He is more expensive (about 20%), but thats to get the unit 20 miles from my house, verses somewhere in the states and shipped up, or getting it myself and dealing with Canadian Customs.... worth more than 20% !!!
http://www.woodnstuff.ca/new_page_2.htm

I've visited his site and he really knows his stuff and is friendly as all hell.  More importantly for this Computer Geek, He gives the the unit a once over, so that it should work when you power it up.  So, that is value for me, and I'm prepared to pay for it.  Course this is one of the reasons I've taken so long to buy a unit, doing my internet research.

Cheers

Andrew

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 05:36:58 AM »
 John360, I have not picked the 12/2 up yet. I did check with oldstylelisters. He wants $3500. plus $280. tax for the 12/2 & gen head. Would you mind if I asked you how much you hade to pay for yours?

John360

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 06:13:24 AM »
John360, I have not picked the 12/2 up yet. I did check with oldstylelisters. He wants $3500. plus $280. tax for the 12/2 & gen head. Would you mind if I asked you how much you hade to pay for yours?

If you want one like John sells I see the price starts at $850.00 and goes up from their. I did a lot of research before I went ahead and ordered mine. There are a lot of differences in the lister clones. I would check back with them and ask them about their plain models. I got mine six months ago for $995.00 that was with extras at that time.

John

Willem_Andree

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 07:59:37 AM »
Hi Loren,

John emailed tonight and informed me that you are looking into a lower cost engine. The engine price I quoted you was for our top of the line engine that comes complete with serpentine pulley. Our lower price models start at $450.00 for the 6/1 and $850.00 for the 12/2 and is the same engine that John sells. Let me know what you decide.

Thanks,
Willem

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 09:59:18 AM »
  Willem, thanks to you and John for all the help and price info. If I decide to go for the cheaper model you will have saved me a bundle of money. Thanks man! No matter which way I go I have decided  to buy my Lister from you. And by the way, welcome to the board. It!s a pleasure to have someone like you around to help out us Lister nubees. Thanks again(you to John). Talk to you soon.