Author Topic: Member in need---  (Read 13816 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Member in need---
« on: December 02, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
To all ----

One of 'us' has suffered a tragedy and needs some help.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2006/12/02/helena_top/a01120206_04.txt

Ken ran a 16-1  GM-90 on WVO for his power and is a dedicated do it yourselfer that's in need of some support.

I urge all to do what you can.   Addresses at the bottom--

Blaze destroys home
By EVE BYRON - IR Staff Writer - 12/02/06

George Lane IR Staff Photographer - Firefighters with the Montana City Volunteer Fire Department hose down the last remaining hot spots. For the second time in his life, Ken Gardner’s home was destroyed by fire.

Gardner lost his first home during the Warm Springs Creek fire in 1988. On Friday, the house he shares with his wife, Jodi, and four children on Strawberry Lookout Road, south of Montana City, burned to the ground.

All that is left are a few blackened, standing walls from a nearby shed, the home’s rock foundation, and a swing set in the back yard. Tires smoldered on a small tractor, as firefighters pulled apart the rubble to make sure all the hot spots were hit with water. One of Gardner’s dogs suffered minor burns, and the family’s two cats died.

Montana City Volunteer Fire Chief Rick Abraham said they were paged out about 9 a.m., and the structures were “fully involved” when they arrived at the rural home. No one was home at the time.

“We received a cell phone call reporting a structure fire,” Abraham said. “But it took us a long time to get here, because of the weather conditions and it was a long way from the fire station.”

The road to the home, past the Saddle Mountain subdivision, was snowpacked and icy, with temperatures hovering in the upper 20s.

Officials are investigating the cause of the fire.

“Everyone who knows Ken said he was extremely careful with fire, and the cause is undetermined at this time,” said Karen Semple, public information officer for the Montana City VFD. “This was a log house that they had recently put an addition on.”

She added that Gardner was recently laid off when the Montana Tunnels mine was temporarily closed, and he had no insurance on his home. The family, including two girls, age 16 and 13, and two boys, age 2 ½ and 5 months, are temporarily staying at a Montana City hotel.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Semple said the Montana City VFD is putting together a benefit for the Gardners. Donations can be sent to the Ken and Jodi Gardner Benefit Fund, 9 Bankers Lane, Montana City, MT 59634. Donations also are being accepted at the Boulder Bank.

Montana City firefighters were aided by volunteers from the Clancy, Eastgate and Lewis and Clark County fire departments, with about 25 people responding to the fire call.

Info box: The Montana City VFD is putting together a benefit for the Gardners. Donations can be sent to the Ken and Jodi Gardner Benefit Fund, 9 Bankers Lane, Montana City, MT 59634. Donations also are being accepted at the Boulder Bank.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

listerdiesel

Re: Member in need---
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »
Never, ever, let insurance lapse, it is always the case that when it is needed most you haven't got it!!

We have 664 members in this group, if we all chipped in $20 each, that would be a start, and not such a big sum that we would miss it.

Could one of the USA members with a PayPal account co-ordinate payments?  I can send mine off now if I had somewhere to send it to. PayPal will deduct about 4% so it needs to be $21.00 to cover admin etc.

One one of the other engine groups we had a guy with a disabled wife who had an accident just before Xmas, and we organised an almost worldwide collection for him which worked well.

Peter

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »
Count me in for the paypal option if someone can get one organised - it's a little too far for me to post a cheque.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 02:20:29 AM »
one more for pay pal/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

VTXLister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 10:42:34 PM »
Crap - just before Christmas too.

PM me when Paypal available.

One thing about Paypal which ay help: I have 2 x Paypal accounts. One of them is a personal account, which will accept up to about $500 per month without charges as long as payments are made from a funded account, ie not using a credit card.

If you can open 2 x paypal accounts, and make it clear to everyone which account to pay into

a) if they are using a credit card and
b) if they are paying from a funded Paypal account

...more of the funds would get to Ken. Just a thought...

listeroidsusa

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:43:56 AM »
If Ken has a paypal account or would open one we could all just donate directly to him. Could someone contact him and let us know how we can help? Ken is a good customer of mine and I'm sorry he has to go through this tragedy. I'll donate and I hope all of you will too, especially here at Christmas time.

Mike Montieth
Listeroids/USA

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:43:34 AM »
If Ken has a paypal account or would open one we could all just donate directly to him. Could someone contact him and let us know how we can help? Ken is a good customer of mine and I'm sorry he has to go through this tragedy. I'll donate and I hope all of you will too, especially here at Christmas time.

Mike Montieth
Listeroids/USA

Presumably Ken lost his computer gear with the house, so it would possibly be easier if it went through a third party.

The receiving account needs to be able to accept CC payments, ours comes straight from our bank, but not everyone has cash in their PayPal account.

Peter

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »
Count Me in.

Elk County Dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 01:46:44 AM »
Guess I'm just a gearhead, so before the rural mail carrier got here for his daily pickup/delivery I got out the mailing stuff, wrote out a check, put it in and it's on its way. My paypal works ok for ebay, but i need help otherwise. Back to the KIS. It's better to give than recieve. Gene

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:25:40 AM »
Guess I'm just a gearhead, so before the rural mail carrier got here for his daily pickup/delivery I got out the mailing stuff, wrote out a check, put it in and it's on its way. My paypal works ok for ebay, but i need help otherwise. Back to the KIS. It's better to give than recieve. Gene

For us members that are not in North America, it is not so easy, which is why I suggested Paypal.

Peter

Elk County Dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 02:52:32 PM »
Hey Bob, Didn't mean to ursurp anybody or thing.  Paypal is a wounderful thing, only my last try (thru no fault of anybody but me) took a couple of phone calls to Fairbanks and some patience and explanation on the other end to get a couple of gasket sets paid for. Postal delivery on gaskets was about as fast as the transaction time,lol. So, ya gotta do what works best for you. No offence to anybody. Sometimes my logic is not the same as others.

listerdiesel

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 03:34:30 PM »
Gee,
I have my fireproof suit on so here goes.

My income and resources do not allow me to make a contribution.  I am certain that there are some others here in the same boat.

As a constructive comment (hopefully) are there any members in the Helena - Montana City vicinity that might be able to help Ken get his G-90 going again by supplying any damaged parts?  I find it hard to believe that the engine is totally destroyed although major damage is possible and even likely.  I see several generous offers here and on the biodiesel forums - most being good hearted and well intentioned but an engine without a gen-head might not be very useful to Ken.

Certainly dollars would likely be the most help to Ken and his family, but let me assure all of you that in my younger and more resourceful days I would have driven perhaps several hundred miles with my tools and wallet to try to help Ken solve some of the problems he faces now (or since you can't "feed all the starving children in the whole world",  just go on about my own business and not even comment on it).

Bob

Bob:

No need for the Nomex, we are all pretty friendly here :-))

Whatever is most convenient for the individual member is what should be acted on. As a member in the UK it is far easier and quicker to shoot a payment off to someone via PayPal than go to the bank and get a transfer done in a currency other than £Sterling.

Physical help is bound to be of use to Ken as well, but if he is staying in a hotel with wife and 4 kids then money is going to be a first priority.

Peter

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »
I spoke with Rick Abraham,  the Montana City Volunteer Fire Chief, last night about setting up a Paypal account for Ken and his family.  He is going to talk to the people at the bank that is taking donations about setting up an account with Paypal.  Hopefully they will have it set up soon.  If they do get one set up I will post the details here.

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »
There's a new engine and genhead on the way.  That part is handled.    :)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

listerdiesel

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 04:02:43 AM »
I spoke with Rick Abraham,  the Montana City Volunteer Fire Chief, last night about setting up a Paypal account for Ken and his family.  He is going to talk to the people at the bank that is taking donations about setting up an account with Paypal.  Hopefully they will have it set up soon.  If they do get one set up I will post the details here.

Scott

Well done, Scott, let's hope he can get that rolling.

Peter