Author Topic: Fuel pump pawl  (Read 24222 times)

listerdiesel

Re: Fuel pump pawl
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 08:41:06 PM »
I guess that would work too but I see the cap as part of the delicate stuff (it sets the injector break pressure for example and deforming it would not be helpful) and the ears as for putting mechanical pressure on.  In a pinch you have to do what is available to you.

Hopefully got the quote marks in the right place! :-))

The internal thread in the body is quite long and in steel, so as long as you screw right into it there should be no problem. If you cannot get the studs out or bring a puller to bear on the injector, then it's another option. No adjusting parts are involved, it's just the internal body thread.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:37 PM »
First I'll try and get the studs out.  I tried once with 2 nuts but they just slipped, I'll put a washer between them and cinch them well for a second try.
stan

Yippee but this stuff is fun ;D  The injector studs turned right out (thank you Peter) and soon after I had the injector out.  It just needed a little judicial turning to and fro and pulling upwards at the same time.  No undue force was needed, just getting those danged studs out of the way was the secret.  Now where was that exploded drawing of the injector that I saw somewhere on the net a few months ago ???
Stan in Kimberley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 09:31:38 PM by Stan »

listerdiesel

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 07:18:07 AM »
Now where was that exploded drawing of the injector that I saw somewhere on the net a few months ago ???
Stan in Kimberley

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Injection/CAV7.htm

Peter

Stan

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 07:36:18 PM »
Here's my injector.  It doesn't look like the diagrams but I guess they made them in many different styles.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:04 PM »
Here's my injector.  It doesn't look like the diagrams but I guess they made them in many different styles.
Stan

That's a for real Lister BKBL injector, the parts pictures are 1955 and probably didn't have the old body showing as it was dropped in the war years.

It all came from Bosch originally, and a joint company, Bosch-CAV was set up to bring diesel equipment into the UK.

That all fell apart in the war years, but there are still many books etc with the Bosch-CAV logo on them.

I think the original bodies were machined from the solid, while later ones were machined from castings.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 09:34:51 PM »
OK, while I have the engine apart, can I test the injector by pressing a rubber tipped air nozzel against the input pipe (the long one) and squirt air through it?  I could fill the injector with diesel and the shoot air through it to see what the pattern was like as long as I'm not going to screw up anything inside.
Stan

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »
Hi Stan

It sounds like you don't have an idea how much pressure you need to operatethe injecter. On the order of 2000lbs
To test the injecter you need to reconnect the injecter line from the pump. Bleed out the line by turning the engine with the crank  with the nut loose. after the oil comes out by the nut without bubbles you can tightn the nut.

Big Warning!
When you are cranking the engine with the injecter out.  Keep your fingers away from the tip. The oil when it is sprayed from the tip is just like those medical injecters the doctors use. Fuel oil injected  under your skin is bad.

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:57:50 PM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Stan

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »
Thanks Dennis, nope I didn't know it took 2000lbs pressure.  Even if I could pump up my little compressor to that range I'd be ducking for cover long before I could get those pressures.  OK, I'll just have to wait till I get her back together and then do the injector test.  Hopefully I'll get the bearings and rings after xmas so that can happen.   Then all I need is some warmer weather.
Stan in Kimberley

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 11:05:04 PM »
Stan,

I emailed you a big pdf file that is an engine manual.  On page 41 you will see a nice exploded view of a petter injector.  Other stuff of interest there too.  I`m sure you will find the manual useful.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2006, 04:10:15 AM »
Got your file, lots of interesting things in the Petter manual that apply to Listers, thanks.  One piece of data I can't find is the total volume of the liquid cooling system on a radiator equiped 6/1.  Since I have to mix anti freeze 50/50 I need to know how much to purchase.  I could fill the rad and measure and then fill the head and measure and then fill the cylinder water jacket and measure but it might be simpler if anyone knows and could inform me.  :)
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »
Got your file, lots of interesting things in the Petter manual that apply to Listers, thanks.  One piece of data I can't find is the total volume of the liquid cooling system on a radiator equiped 6/1.  Since I have to mix anti freeze 50/50 I need to know how much to purchase.  I could fill the rad and measure and then fill the head and measure and then fill the cylinder water jacket and measure but it might be simpler if anyone knows and could inform me.  :)
Stan

It's all on the website:

Water capacity on this data sheet:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/51P1data.htm

Setting pressures for Lister engines on this page:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Injection/Listfuel.htm

Peter

Stan

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2006, 11:29:52 PM »
Thanks Peter, I'll print all that off and take it into our diesel injection shop.  They're supposed to be really good as we have a large logging industry around here.  I'll go to the oldest guy in the place and give him the injector and I'll be able to tell from the look on his face whether I can leave it with him or not.  I'll let you know how it works out.
stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2006, 09:18:48 AM »
Just a quick note re the new pawls:

The drawing was dropped into the laser profilers last week with a promise that they would get it done asap.

I suspect that will be after the Xmas break, but I will call Andy Bee this morning to get an update of progress.

The holes will have to be opened up by drilling, as Andy is just going to spot the positions for us with the laser.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 04:27:52 PM »
No problem Peter, I'll be away for about a week after Christmas but will be checking into the site.  Let me know how you want me to pay you when you get the numbers.
Merry Christmas,
Stan in Kimberley

listerdiesel

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:23 AM »
I spoke to Andy on Monday last, the fuel pawls are probably ready for us to collect, but we have a large batch of rail charger chassis and bodies being made so will wait until they are ready before we run over and collect them.

I have asked for 20pces to be laser cut.

Peter