Author Topic: Fuel pump pawl  (Read 24137 times)

Stan

Fuel pump pawl
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »
HI all....I've just discovered my 6/1 (heavy) is missing the fuel pump pawl (and associated check pin, check plate fulcrum pin and nut).  It's part # 10-2-189 and its the thingy that looks like a misshapen fishing weight that hangs off the "back" end of the fuel pump rod.  I don't know if it will operate properly without it and am seeking advice.
Stan
PS....saw the 10/2 I was phoned about, today, it looks pretty bad, basket case would be a good description.  Don't know if I will get it or not..

Chaz

• View Profile
Re: Fuel pump pawl
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 02:23:55 AM »
It's nice to have for the sake of completeness, but it's not really required. If you were to run the engine with no load, you would flip it over to limit the movement of the rack ( hence engine speed ).
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:48:34 PM »
It's nice to have for the sake of completeness, but it's not really required. If you were to run the engine with no load, you would flip it over to limit the movement of the rack ( hence engine speed ).

That is not correct.

The 'Overload Pawl' as Lister calls it, allows the fuel pump rack to move further towards the full fuel position allowing extra or excess fuel to be injected for starting. As soon as the governor brings the rack back the pawl drops out of engagement and the rack cannot move that extra bit of travel.

It was introduced at engine #6479 Spec 21, and deleted on the 8/1 and 16/2. Many pumps had theirs rusted up through lack of use and were deleted when the pump was overhauled or replaced.

Peter

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 09:34:53 PM »
Is it a safety device ?. Will it stop the engine from running away?.
Ive bought a complete fuel pump just so i could get the pawl and now from reading your post
ive learnt my engine is to early to have one anyway. :)

Stan

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 10:45:18 PM »
OK...Is there a source for purchasing just the pawl, I don't want to have to buy a new fuel pump just to get it.
stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 07:51:40 AM »
Is it a safety device ?. Will it stop the engine from running away?.
Ive bought a complete fuel pump just so i could get the pawl and now from reading your post
ive learnt my engine is to early to have one anyway. :)

It has no safety stop function at all, and if your engine starts OK then I wouldn't bother.

If enough people need them I could get a batch lazer cut by our metal bashers, they are only 10g or maybe 3/16" thick material.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 07:53:42 AM »
OK...Is there a source for purchasing just the pawl, I don't want to have to buy a new fuel pump just to get it.
stan

I don't think you'd get one with a new pump these days, CAV/Bosch don't make that pump any longer, and any NOS units would be for the later 8/1 engines which didn't use the pawl.

See my other post re getting a batch made.

Peter

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 03:26:10 PM »
My Petter PJ-1 single has that starting pawl on the Bryce-Berger fuel injection pump rack.  Works well for starting.  It is gravity operated.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

listerdiesel

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 09:08:06 AM »
My Petter PJ-1 single has that starting pawl on the Bryce-Berger fuel injection pump rack.  Works well for starting.  It is gravity operated.

Gravity returns it to the 'off' position, but you have to set it by hand first?

Peter

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 03:17:45 PM »

Gravity returns it to the 'off' position, but you have to set it by hand first?

Peter

Yes.  You lift the hinged block over the throttle full speed stop by hand just prior to starting the engine.  When the governor sees enough revs to start closing the fuel rack it pushes back over this hi-speed stop and gravity pulls the hinged block so it then sees a new, lower max fuel stop position.  The hinged block has a setscrew to set the max rack position in the regular run mode.

The `more than max` fuel rack position is essential when hand starting the engine cold.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

listerdiesel

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »
OK, that's the same as the Lister arrangement, just wanted to make sure we didn't have another variant! :-))

Peter

Stan

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 09:03:29 PM »
Any idea where I might find a pawl to purchase or could they be home made easily enough?  I imagine it would take a detailed drawing with the exact measurements.
Stan

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 09:32:11 PM »
Any idea where I might find a pawl to purchase or could they be home made easily enough?  I imagine it would take a detailed drawing with the exact measurements.
Stan

All it would take would be a closeup photo to a good machinist.  Too bad this forum doesn`t support photos ot I could post one.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 11:19:27 PM »
UPload the photo to coppermine, right click on the photo in coppermine, choose copy picture location, go to a post reply screen, choose the square box that will say "insert image" if you hold the mouse pointer over it, click it, don't move the cursor do ctrl+V and it will post the picture onto the image.  Enclose a couple of dimensions and I can probably make it myself.  I can sit cross-legged on the floor in my bare feet and use a file. ;D
stan

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 12:36:30 AM »
UPload the photo to coppermine, right click on the photo in coppermine, choose copy picture location, go to a post reply screen, choose the square box that will say "insert image" if you hold the mouse pointer over it, click it, don't move the cursor do ctrl+V and it will post the picture onto the image.  Enclose a couple of dimensions and I can probably make it myself.  I can sit cross-legged on the floor in my bare feet and use a file. ;D
stan

As long as there are alternatives the owners of this fine site will never see the need to support picture hosting.

Better idea, send me your email address by pm, oh crap, fsocket issues, that won`t work.  Oh well.  I wish the owners would fix the fscocket problem that prevents email from working.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1