Author Topic: Onan 603cc diesel  (Read 3583 times)

Jim_in_Omaha

• View Profile
Onan 603cc diesel
« on: November 28, 2006, 01:29:08 PM »
I bought a military surplus MEP-016B diesel genset from the local surplus store. The generator was bad, which I knew. All I wanted was a small diesel to mess with. The injector pump was sticky but I was able to free that up with carb cleaner. Primed the fuel line to the injector, heated the glow plug for about 30 seconds and it started right up. The engine was made by Onan and is 603cc.

I was wondering for those who have worked with the 406cc Yanmar or Chinese copies how are they compared to say an older side valve  10-12hp Briggs regarding noise and vibration? I understand that a diesel knocks and is louder, but this engine is beastly, cast iron case, and very heavy.
Thanks
Jim

Doug

Re: Onan 603cc diesel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:37:11 PM »
That might be a DJ engine, regardless its better than any Lister or Petter you buy from India. Its likely has a taper shaft this can be a problem....

Doug

Jim_in_Omaha

• View Profile
Re: Onan 603cc diesel
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:24:48 AM »
That might be a DJ engine, regardless its better than any Lister or Petter you buy from India. Its likely has a taper shaft this can be a problem....

The end of the crank is flat with a 32mm center outset. There are 8 10mm threaded bolt holes around this. I modified a PTO shaft with a flange from Surpluscenter.com that bolts to it. Its about 5" long. The military manual calls the engine an Onan Q106D. When I removed some of the shrounds it is white under all that nice green paint that seems to flake off.
Jim