Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hi!: First Post: Exhaust Smell  (Read 7037 times)

Ray C

• View Profile
Hi!: First Post: Exhaust Smell
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:09:17 AM »
Hi Folks,

I discovered Lister-type engines a couple weeks ago and have been lurking here for a couple days.  First, this seems like a very nice Forum and I'll be very respectful of the tranquility here...  Second, I have a fairly good technical background in both electrical engineering and auto mechanics but, I haven't worked in either of those areas in over 15-20 years.

I'm planning to add a house addition next year and it would be really nifty to augment the power and heat with a Lister-type engine.  If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a couple basic questions.

FYI: I also discovered George B's info CD and I'll order one as soon I dig-up my PayPal password.

#1:  How strong is the exhaust smell?  I'm on a 1/2 acre lot and have only one neighbor that is near me.  If the smell is no worse than my motorcycle with the choke on then, we can go on to step #2.  If the exhaust smells like a city bus, I'll have to consider a different option.

#2:  I live in the US near Annapolis, Maryland.  Does anyone know if there are any Lister-type engines near me that I could see/hear/smell in person?

Much thanks!

Ray

Procrustes

• View Profile
Re: Hi!: First Post: Exhaust Smell
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »
Diesel stinks IMO.  On the other hand the 6/1 burns very little fuel.  You'll definitely smell it on your clothes if you work near the exhaust for long.  I can't see anyone getting up in arms about the smell, but it is at least a slight annoyance.  If you burn vegetable or waste vegetable oil the smell will be similar to being downwind from a McDonalds or its ilk.

The noise and vibration are greater concerns.  You will need to muffle the exhaust, at least with an automotive style muffler, and perhaps a gravel pit.  If you don't mount the engine correctly you can see ripples in water glasses and china rattling in the cupboard, even in the neighbor's house.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:45:30 PM »
Hi If you get to the point where you have some sort of permanent set up, You can run a vertical stack up through your engine shed. Some of the sound wave will go up. Also the smell is up high and should not be a bother.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

phaedrus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
vibration transmits through the ground and may disturb neighbors - that can be good, depending on your feeling toward the neighbors! smell is minor as there is essentially a clean burn if you don't overload. Sound? That depends, we aim it toward the neighbors...
if ya don't ask permission they can't deny it...

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »
My wife can smell a fart in a windstorm from 100 miles away....She never complains when the 6/1 is running. But if I spill a drop on me I am banned!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:47:47 AM »
Dave,
  Perhaps if you used a fuel that was based on something from her kitchen she wouldn't be so offended. :D
                                                Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 09:23:08 AM »
Isolation from your neighbour would help! :-))  but generally you shouldn't have a problem with noise or exhaust smoke/smell unless you are just starting up or there is an engine/injection fault.

A mechanical noise barrier can be useful, Rockwool clad panels around the engine will attenuate a lot of direct noise, and there are plenty of other techniques to take out objectionable frequencies.

Talk to your neighbours and get them involved, they are likely to be less concerned if they are aware of the unit and your own interests.

Peter

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:24:16 PM »
offer them some 110V if the grid connection fails so at least their fridge stuff stays cold.  We had a power outage here during a windstorm a few months ago.  Power went out and didn't come back for 20 hours.  Kept the fridge closed etc but towards the afternoon I borrowed some extra 10ga extension cords and begged some power from my neighbor behind me (they still had power) so I got the fridge to cycle and cool down, then ran to the chest freezer, then put a pigtail on the oil hot water and boiled up some water for a shower.

This only works if the distances are short enough though.

It just made me that much more sure I need a petteroid gen set.

Ray C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »
If I ever get a listeroid setup, my old Coleman 5kw generator will be dedicated to my two neighbors.  One of them is an elderly woman who lives alone, the other is a guy (and his family) and he couldn't turn a wrench to save his life.  I have 150' of 10ga wire spooled-up and they each run an extension cord off it into their houses to keep their refrigerators (or furnace blowers) going.

No, I don't think they'll complain too much about a Lister but; nonetheless, I want to be considerate about sound, vibration and odor...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 03:25:03 AM by Ray C »

Flyingpony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 12:15:40 AM »
If you don't like the the diesel exhaust smell, pour some vegetable oil in and it'll smell different.
Best description would be unscented candles.