Author Topic: The "Roid" game  (Read 2236 times)

Doug

The "Roid" game
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:04:32 AM »
I read a lot, listen to people and read as many posts as I can.

Lately some patterns have emerged after a couple of years since my interest in stationary engines and alternative power began and I think all of you Newbies should read this and ponder these points before you spend on an Indian engine....

First:

Not all roids are created equal. In the city of Rajkot many companies and interests manufacture and package engines for the domestic and export market. So far in the west we have seen a lot crap and a lot of good ones to why?

Well you get what you pay for but thats not the only reason. As many people from around the world have posted here with their experience we can start to make some assumptions about the people who build these engines and the markets they are intended for. Many small shops are building engines uinder contract for export companies whom have little interest in after sale service. They never speak to the end user and could care less they made the money and in order to make the highest profits nothing went to waste even the junk that should have been reject. Perhaps as a least one person has sugested day labour is actulay building engies in some places.
One poster here even was screwed to the extent he claims to have been sent a container of used engines repainted to look new. Obvioulsy some exporters have dumped engines on the hapless importers that normaly end up in African back waters where no one can make much a stink about it and be heard.
And some engines are realy good ones generaly reserved for the home market where people quickly will reject junk and make a dealer or engine builders name mud.

Second the importer:
A lot can be said about importers, and even more questions raised. Why risk money on a product that may be a pile of junk unless your sure you have a good one. Then there are the guys who don't care if they have good ones and just sell them. How do you know what your going to get before you spend?

I'm going to cut this short now and I'm not going to name names but there is at least one man in the USA and possibly a second that I don't know much about  selling engines that apear to be the best. Then there are two very good sales men selling engines that are not what they apear to be or worse are what they apear to be but have been cleverly hyped and continue to see for what they are.

Worse still there are hidden issues. My main interest is in Petters and its odd that so many mini Petters from one particular brand came in from the west coast and went on to develop problems while other imported from an eastern importer of a different brand have been truely excellent engines.

I put many peoples feet to flame in polite but direct questions that never were answered if you read my posts. So if your new and eager read, ask questions, think about the answeres and then spend your money.

A good Listeroid should come with a warrenty I know a fellow who sells them like that.
A good dealer shouldn't be alarmed and warn it voids the warrenty if he offers one if you want to strip your engine and inspect it.
A good dealer will tell you about the engines, where they came from, who built them and what to expect.

A good brand will have its own foundery and machine shop, good tooling and they also should be able to provide you with information and pictures. Don't be suprised if they don't reply to an email since they already have dealers and aren't interestsed in one off sales.

Roll all these things into a webpage and the only hurdle left is the EPA. There are even EPA complient engines now as well as kits for those that couldn't make the emmisions cut or were not interestsed in spending the money to do so.

This leaves the buyer with a lot to think about doesn't it?
And I haven't even begun to talk about alternator heads....

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The "Roid" game
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:46:13 AM »
Doug:

you raise some interesting points, and i would like to expand a bit upon them.

aside from engine importers and suppliers, there are those on this board that will take numerous stands on various subjects, all the while standing on credentials that no one can varify.

the moral

don't believe everything you read, even if it makes sense!
be critical and ask questions, ask for proof, ask for and explanation or clarification
do your own research and come to an informed decision.

don't believe anyone just because it "feels" right, or agree's with what you want it to be.

question everything and everyone

especially  me  :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

listerdiesel

Re: The "Roid" game
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:58:53 AM »
You probably need to sort out the 'business opportunity' importer(s) from the 'interested in engines' importer(s)

Once that is done you can see where there is a purely monetary situation between the engine maker and the importer and those that are really interested in what they are making/selling.

This whole area has generated a lot of business and interest over the past 10 years or so, and a few people have made some decent money out of what are sometimes questionable advertising claims.

Peter