Puppeteer

Author Topic: why there are problems with listeroids from india  (Read 24105 times)

OM

• View Profile
why there are problems with listeroids from india
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:03:58 PM »
I just happened to go through this site today and have spent the last 3 hours reading the comments of various individuals regarding listeroids from India.
I am from India , no , I am not trying to sell any engines or spares , but know the full manufacturing process of these engines as my father ( who expired last year ) used to sell them to various countries in Africa.
I started my career in Nigeria selling these engines and got out of this business as I did not like what I was selling.
Let me tell you how these engines are made:
They are all made in a city called rajkot.
There is no other centre in India which makes these engines , if anyone tells you otherwise they are lying.
No engine manufacturer is a manufacturer of more than two or three parts out of the total parts required to make an engine.
It is a cottage industry , where each part ( leaving out a few critical parts ) is made by small manufacturers who supply them to the so called engine manufacturer.
The manufacturer will then hire people on daily wages basis to assemble the engines.
After the engine is assembled it is put on the test line to see that it is working properly.
Immediately after the test is over it is packed in wooden cases , this is the reason why you will always get oil in the crankcase which makes you feel that you are buying a used engine.
As far as casting pieces are concerned this problem will never go ( believe me I have tried ) as the manufacturer never bothers to machine them out and the exporter of these engines sitting in Bombay ( now Mumbai ) never sees what is being packed and exported.
You can get these engines made in any name as all you have to do is put the name on the crankcase cover ( which does not cost much ) and get plates printed in your name                    ( minimum qty. of plates can be as low as 100pcs and again the cost is not much ).
Parts catalogues and instruction manuals can also be printed in your name , as there is only one printer who supplies everybody , all you have to do is to change the cover page and put your brand name.
The reason why I am letting everybody know all this is as follows :
Quality : you only get what you pay for ( pay peanuts and get monkeys )
Problems : have been , will be and will never go away as the people of this town do not understand what quality means , the few who do are not interested in exporting as their engines sell at better prices in India.
I hope I have put some light on this matter and it is of help to everybody and may help reduce their frustration regarding these engines from India.
I would also like to add that quality products are being exported from India and please do not judge the country by one product.
Once again believe me this not a sales pitch , but is being done without any malice towards anyone.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:59:27 PM by OM »

hotater

• View Profile
Re: why there are problems with listeroids from india
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:08:57 PM »
Great post, OM--

Your's is a valuble insight and a confirmation of what I've come to believe must be the case.

INDIA, where quality takes a sense of humor to appreciate.   

;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:11:56 PM by hotater »
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:46:15 AM »
Hoater,

What are you doing with my rocker shaft. Yes mine is almost that bad too.

OM,

Thanks for a good post. It does seem (from others posts) that quality is improving a bit. Lets see if it lasts.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:07:53 AM »
Wow, day labor to assemble engines!

Thanks for the interesting post!

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 01:33:10 AM »
Wecome to the board OM and thanks for the info. I am sure you will be a vaulable addition to the people here on the lister forum.
                                                                             Loren

listerengine2006

• View Profile
Welcome, and thank you for sharing your experience.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:35:25 AM »
OM,  you are very kind to share your experience in this industry.  Not everyone believes that the engines from India are of such poor quality.  Some feel the quality is improving. Why do you think so many people love these engines?  What parts are you referring to, when you stated "except for a few parts? "

I work with a friend from India, who loves his country as much as you do.  My sympathy for the loss of your father, Im sure he was an honest man who also worked very hard all his life.

My thinking is to always look for a positive aspect of any situation.  If the cost is low, I can afford some spare parts.  If the castings are not clean, I will clean them.   Although the people who work to build these engines may not be highly skilled, they are being paid for this labor, and those of us hear in North America are helping those people by purchasing these engines.
With the experience you have gained with these engines, can you offer some information about the people in India who buy these engines for use in that country? 
Welcome to the list.  I am sure all of us here would value your comments greatly.  Thank you for the post.
Listeroid 6/1 5KW

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »
Thanks for the great post OM! I haven't seen all of the different labeled engines but the two I have with different names on them seemed to have the same issues. I always suspected they were all from the same place. Now I know more of the story! Why a bunch of Yankees are so intrigued with this engine baffles me sometimes. I will start it and just let it thump away and it will sooth my soul?!???!! Being in the manufacturing business myself I just wish I could tell the guy putting in the cam idler hole make this little adjustment....or don't start it with the sand in it I'll do that! Yes you are right about peanuts and monkeys......But it is like Christmas when I open a crate and tear into it. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!
Keep in touch!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

buickanddeere

• View Profile

listerdiesel

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:05:32 AM »
I think OM's post pretty much confirms what I and others have already said about the situation.

Peter

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 02:52:18 PM »
Gee, everybody sure seems pleased to see this post.

My opinion; not that anybody asked:

I'm not sure this passes the smell test. It seems a little too convenient and black and white.

That being said, those peanut workers sure did a good job putting my GM-90 together. It runs like a top.

jimmer

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »
In browsing the businesses of Rajkot, it was interesting to see manufacturers of piston & cylinders, tapered roller bearings and machine tools.  Fabric finishing machines were big too, but not so relevant.  Regarding OM's post, I assume the Mico injector pumps (and possibly the injectors themselves) are all manufactured by that company and not by any independant entities.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

OM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 06:50:23 PM »
In India the listeroids are used primarily for drawing water.
The petteroids are used for drawing water , generators and in rural areas as an engine in a locally fabricated vehicle.
The parts made by good manufacturers are :
Fuel injection system by mico or motorpal
Pistons and piston rings by goetze , usha , india pistons or perfect circle ( but most manufacturers use locally made ones )
Crankshafts should be in en9 grade steel but most manufacturers use mild steel
Please let me know if you need names of manufacturers for any other parts.
I hope this is of help.
Regards
OM

Doug

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 11:20:35 PM »
OM you are a god send!!!!!

Please, please, please tell us who makes quality parts, castings machining anything you know.

Sadly we all know the Lister Petter clones of India aren't going to be as well made as the original engines they are based on but for as long as parts production continues we stand a chance to get soem of these engines.

Even if they are border line junk, a lot of these things can be fixed and at the end of the day we have hobby engines that run.

Doug

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Trip to India next week for a month....... problems with listeroids from india
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:21:18 AM »
     I happened to meet a co-worker "VK" this week whose family is native to India and his Father runs an injection molding business there.
     VK is leaving for a months vacation in India with some spare time on his hands while there. He's offered to at the least ask and check around what the Listeroid/Petteroid situation is. VK has the info on Rajkot from this site and other data.
  As much business outside the western countries is based on who you know, know of, family, clan, connections etc.  VK is going to check around through his family's network in case they know something.     

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »
OM, I purchased a number of different pistons. I do not know who made them, as I do not know what the symbols mean. Can you please shed some light on what symbol each manufacturer uses?

Thanks, and great post!!!!

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence