Author Topic: PS Power salutions and Ashwamegh  (Read 7673 times)

schoust

• View Profile
PS Power salutions and Ashwamegh
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:58:41 PM »
   Are these two company's one and the same??

Doug

Re: PS Power salutions and Ashwamegh
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 01:19:16 AM »
Thats the Million dollar question....
I don't think so, but the guy selling the PS motors and generator heads appears to be "re branding them" an Indian and Chinese gen head with his own name.
Quite a clever way to protect your source when you think about it. I asked him the same question some time ago when I asked who were good people to deal with for engines and parts before I decided it was a realy dumb idea to try and import a few myself.

"India cares not.

It will be a good and costly experience to learn the ropes."

He has invested a lot of time and effort from what I read in providing good affordable engines and manufacturing his parts. Most every person I hear who bought from him is happy, so I think he may be on to something. Do your homework, ask questions look at one in the flesh if you can

Doug

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 01:31:51 AM »
Hi, I believe the PS "brand" is actually made by the JK SON company.  See:  http://www.indiamart.com/jkgroup/  As you mention, I think the PS is a "rebrand", and the engines are made to specifications of the importers.  Seems like other companies could do the same, importing of Listroids  is an evolving market.  My $0.02.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 03:37:06 AM »
Well I believe that if you buy from JKSON you will not be getting a PS engine, even if they make them. PS wouldn't be a 'rebrand' more like a 'Contract Specification Engine'.
If the current manufacturer can't cut the mustard, they lose the contract and another builder gets a chance.
I have seen inside a new PS, as I mentioned earier. The idler gear fit was perfect, unlike my Ashwamegh. The inside was clean and the quality was pleasing to look at. The single has an oil pump. I wish I had one and may buy one yet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:44:21 AM by SHIPCHIEF »
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 04:18:02 AM »
What I find so interesting and at the same time difficult to understand is the truthful answer to the very simple question "Did your company build the engine?" can have so many answers.

It's as if there is a whole industry surrounding the selling and reselling of engines, each claiming to be the "real" source / builder. One one think the real engine maker would step forward and sell their product through official distributers or even direct to the customer from the "real" factory.

At times, I find myself actually thinking of taking a trip to India to seek the truth as well as greater engine enlightenment from what must be the one true engine builder. Gee......   
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 04:56:06 AM »
Power solutions (Joel) sells only JKSON lister type engines as far as I know. The only ashwamegh engine that he still sells is the mini petter. JKSON also makes a mini petter, but I think Joel still has quite a few of the ashwamegh mp's so I guess he will sell out of them then switch to JKSON petters. They quality seems ok on both engines.

Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

quinnf

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 04:41:28 PM »
Forgive my longwinded reply, but it's my propensity. 

Shipchief is right.  If you read George's site completely, which will take some time, or peruse his CD, he says over and over that there are many manufacturers/assemblers of these engines in India.  Some are literally back alley operations and others are first rate.  When one engine assembler/seller gets flaky with quality or fails to live up to the agreement, he's toast.  He and Joel recently said "So long, and thanks for all the fish" to Ashwamegh.  The engines are certainly made to contract specifications.  George says as much on his website.  When the manufacturer no longer meets those specs, he's history. 

Apparently George and Joel once imported and sold Metro/Metex, and if you look at the pics on the website, those are the engines that apparently had some of the greatest problems at that time.  Ashwamegh recently met the same fate.  Just like taxis, there's always another one just around the corner.  Some are clean, and others smell like vomit.  These engines are commodities.  They're so generic, and parts are so interchangeable, competition among the various suppliers and assemblers must be fierce.

From the comments I'm reading it appears that the assumption being made is that there are several engine manufacturers making these engines in India.  I think "assemblers" is a better word to use.  Just as PC parts in the US are available from many sources, so are the components for Listeroids.  Just like computer manufacturers do, somebody buys all these parts and assembles them, and somebody else exports them.  It's not like a Ford, where you'll see FORD stickers on all the parts of the car.  Remember when the media breathlessly broke the story that the Mercury Mountaineer was found to have FORD stamped on the valve covers, and what a ruckus that caused?  Lawsuits were flying!  We in the West clearly have different expectations. 

For example, my Ashwamegh 6/1 has a crankcase casting bearing one manufacturer's stamp, the cylinder another's, the head another's, the timing gears say "Swastik," the connecting rod has a swastika cast into it (probably same company), the bearings say Asiatic, and somebody else made the beautifully machined piston and cylinder sleeve.  Those were both absolutely top quality parts, by the way.  Who knows who made the crankshaft?  Then, take my flywheels...PLEASE!  Then you look at what's cast into the crankcase cover plates and engine ID plate, and it says Vijay Engineeriing (probably the assembler), and then after it was painted, somebody stuck "Ashwamegh" stickers all over it.  Go figure.

So Bruce, the answer to the question, "Did your company build the engine" sort of has to be qualified.  By "build" if you mean "manufactured" then the answer is probably "no."  If you mean "assembled" then probably "yes,"  but that's not what you asked.  I don't think anyone is being coy with you, it's just when you ask that question from a Western frame of reference of someone in India, or even someone selling an Indian product, he might have a difficult time comprehending precisely what it is you are _really_ asking.

Quinn

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 04:46:09 PM by quinnf »

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:13:03 PM »
I also noticed that the spares that I ordered along with my engines have the PS stamp on them. They are NOT the same parts as what is inside the engines. I am not sure if the quality is different, just the make. Both appear to be of high quality.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

quinnf

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 06:42:54 PM »
Chris,

That's the beauty of the Listeroid.  Parts are available from a bunch of sources, which is one reason the engine is still being produced with little change for over 75 years.  Many Indian websites indicate they manufacture, or at least sell, components and complete engines.  Parts is parts, as they say.  Some are better than others.  As long as you're buying from someone you have confidence in, you can expect that there is a reason they now carry that brand.  We know Timken makes equivalent roller bearings and Perfect Circle has plants in India that make rings. 

Quinn

clickclackboombang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 01:50:48 PM »
hello there   vijay is the enginering co. Ashwag?? is the assembler.  I think    I just got  14/1 looks good... besides the guys shirt i found in the sump. the engine will need a teardown i finaly looked in the engine with a good light.  a bit of sand  a shirt and believe it or not new oil!  There was however vertical scratchs on the cylinder boar.  So apart I will take her 

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »
A whole tee shirt kind of thing?  perhaps a rag based sump oil filter!  It's a good job you cracked her open to check before running that could have gotten ugly in a hurry.

Were there any bones in there?  Perhaps that's the new body smuggling operation?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 12:33:44 AM »
Was the Ashwamegh logo on the tee shirt?  :o
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.