Puppeteer

Author Topic: Original Lister fuel filters  (Read 5452 times)

Stan

Original Lister fuel filters
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
Does anyone know if the center cartridge for the lister fuel filter is still available?  The snaky think in mine is hard and plugged on the bottom 3 or 4 spirals no matter how long I soak it.  The "cage" is also kind of deteriorated in places as well, it might be time to replace (as the scottish sargent major said).
Stan

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
Re: Original Lister fuel filters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
Well, I know that the filter on my Metro listeroid uses the same snaky thing.  Presumably other internal parts are also the same? 
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
If you go buy a Crosland fuel cartridge, type number to be advised, but it was used on Scania and Volvo trucks in the 1970s. You can fit a centre hollow bolt and use that paper filter and still keep the unit looking original. There are other makes that do the same job, it has rubber bushes each end and is designed to slide over a centre bolt.

Just found it under the desk:

Cartridge is Crosland #457 or equivalent.

One of these days I must get a drawing done of the centre bolt as it is such an easy mod to do.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:05:58 PM »
Forgot to mention, the original filter wick was supplied in a tin, all rolled up with a wooden stopper over the thread that fits the filter housing and a washer for the joint.

I have one of these in unsued condition, I'll post a picture over the weekend, and it is NOT for sale! :-))

Later supplies came in cardboard boxes...

Peter

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:35:13 PM »
Hi This outfit has a fuel filter listed. Cast iron with the fabric tube.

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/erol.html#463X0

If you order from them let us know how it works out.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Stan

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:24:49 AM »
Thanks Dennis and you too Peter, I think I will send an order to them for the filter wick, and possibly some other parts as well.  I got the head off today, a couple of whacks with a plastic deadblow hammer did the trick... then I saw an inch of water on top of the piston and my heart sank.  When I got it all cleaned out I decided to try turning the flywheels and voila! they turned sucking the piston down.  When I wiped the cylinder wall clean with a rag I saw there was no rust?????  It must have been a miracle.  A stuck engine, but no rust on the cylinder walls.  I imagine I'll need a set of rings but there seems to me absolutely NO wear on the cylinder.  When I get it off and all cleaned up I'll know more however.  Maybe I'll have lucked out and all it'll need is a good hone.  Now on to the bottom end.
Stan
PS....the head has at least 1/2 inch of black carbon on it.  I'll take a picture as a "why you should decarbonize your engine" poster!

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »
Thanks Dennis,
for the link to Paramount Stationary Engine parts....that is amazing and just what I was looking for...Shipping may be a bit pricy but where else can you find parts like that. Many thanks binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 07:51:31 AM »
When I wiped the cylinder wall clean with a rag I saw there was no rust?????  It must have been a miracle.  A stuck engine, but no rust on the cylinder walls.  I imagine I'll need a set of rings but there seems to me absolutely NO wear on the cylinder. 
Stan
PS....the head has at least 1/2 inch of black carbon on it.  I'll take a picture as a "why you should decarbonize your engine" poster!

It will probably have the chromed bore, so leave it alone and don't hone it.

The carbon is probably the result of running at low loading for many hours.

Peter