Puppeteer

Author Topic: Which brand of ST-Head?  (Read 9073 times)

Hampster

• View Profile
Which brand of ST-Head?
« on: November 16, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »
Hi guys.

I want a couple of ST heads, and since I'm in Norway I'm not interested in paying for the markup and shipping from a US-supplier - I'd rather import them directly myself.

As with the Listeroids, there's alot of manufacturers of these heads, so I was hoping for a pointer to the ones who deliver the good stuff :)

Here's a couple of links to the results from a crude search at a couple of the bigger manufacturer-directories - some of you may appreciate the links in general aswell - lots of stuff:

http://www.made-in-china.com/productdirectory.do?subaction=hunt&style=b&mode=and&code=0&comProvince=nolimit&order=0&word=generator+st&x=52&y=18

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=generator+st

Some guidance through the jungle would be highly appreciated...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:27:57 PM by Hampster »

Doug

Re: Which brand of ST-Head?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:09:05 PM »
Good question.....

Miss Juddy keeps phoning me about ST heads...

There is a fellow in China that sells medical suplies and will put small orders of  things like ST heads together.
I aborted my attempt to import heads untill I get all the kinks out ( if ever ) a good quality Petter engine. I'll find an email and contact name for you on the ST heads. If it works out for you you owe me 1 bottle of Scotch.

In a perfect world I could get an ST head with AVR and a Petter with Duetz FL 912 guts and package this for around 2500 Canadian. I'm still searching for this combo Hampster better luck to you.....

Doug

BTW don't sell crap.
Lots of crap out there, if you end up with junk don't pass it on......

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:56:01 AM »
Wouldn't it be fun if someone would build an open frame, large diameter generator head that looks like the old sets from the 20-30's?  It could have 12 poles and be direct connected right on the shaft so that the rotor would provide more flywheel and the stator could have mounting feet that 'matched' the height of the base to crank dimensions. 

It would have great eye appeal!  Oh, can we have this for $200 for 5kw?

Dreaming George

Doug

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:40:58 AM »
Before I comitted to the Petter type I talked to John F and George B about matching a direct drive Listeroid to a such a generator. I did all the math, desinged a winding ( simpler than an ST and needing an seperate exciter and power suply ) and went looking for parts. I found a Chinese company to make laminations, a foundry to cast rotors and worked around a Grindex pump frame cut in two for a stator.

Sadly no one wanted this, no one asked for more information, no one cared.

Doug

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:57:50 AM »
Who says 20s or 30s?  I was in a generator room built in the mid fifties that meets that description.  The whole generator on the 300 KW units was probably 5 ft in diameter (field rotor was probably 3 ft dia) and the 750 KW (I seem to remember them being about that size) units were another foot or so larger.  All ran synchronous at 900 RPM.

I've thought more than once about how to do this by mounting the fields directly to the listeroid flywheel.  As much as anything, the availabliity of chunks of laminated silicon steel in the right shape has made me skeptical.  60 HZ at 600 RPM with 12 poles seems to make the most sense.

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

Doug

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:07:10 AM »
Want some laminations?

I have a box special ordered for the task, trouble is the thickness is wrong....

Been there, done that, gave up.....

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 03:20:07 AM »
aargh.  That sounds expensive...
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:24:13 AM »
Hampster,
        I have a Chinese mfg.  who seems reliable and builds nice product.  I have a brushless head with AVR from them, contact me off list if you are interested in some contact info, but I'm not sure they'd be interested in a one-off sale.

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »
Who says 20s or 30s?  I was in a generator room built in the mid fifties that meets that description.  The whole generator on the 300 KW units was probably 5 ft in diameter (field rotor was probably 3 ft dia) and the 750 KW (I seem to remember them being about that size) units were another foot or so larger.  All ran synchronous at 900 RPM.

I've thought more than once about how to do this by mounting the fields directly to the listeroid flywheel.  As much as anything, the availabliity of chunks of laminated silicon steel in the right shape has made me skeptical.  60 HZ at 600 RPM with 12 poles seems to make the most sense.

The field does not absolutely need to be laminated, it is DC at that point, a lot of motors and generators have been made with nothing more then cast iron in the field poles.

If you could find a burned up motor with a large enough diameter it should have enough stator laminations to make alternators for several listers.  Would have to look hard at putting the field poles on a listeroid flywheel, may be better to just make up new flywheel.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 11:28:10 PM »
There are issues with converting a motor to a generator. This requires serious math and some understanding to do.

Cord factor
Distribution factor
Core density
Winding type
Copper current density.
Air gap
Leakage flux
Possible odd grouping coils
back iron thickness

It can be done, but there's a lot to consider

Doug

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 03:03:12 AM »
  Changfa builds matched single and three phase gen sets up to 10KW with ST alternators and hopper cooled horizontal  single cylinder diesels.  Frame, wheels starting battery, the whole nine yards.
  Maybe worth a look? 

Hampster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 09:01:24 PM »

Doug

BTW don't sell crap.
Lots of crap out there, if you end up with junk don't pass it on......

Thanks alot Doug.

I hate crap, tries to avoid it at all costs, and wouldn't pass it on if my life depended on it...

A bottle of nice Scotch is a very cheap price to pay for premium advice...

I have some miss Zhu who seems like she would utterly enjoy to suck my dixx if I only bought a couple of welders from her... A bit anxious would be my description of the chinese sales-pitch...

Doug and trigzy: thanks alot for the input. I'm in a research-phase here still, and will take some more advice and pointers from George's cd when it arrives.

I'll let you know when I'm in the buying mode - I hope to have both the 6/1 and 12/2 ready by spring - but I have comitted to lots of chores and shit regarding the farm and wife aswell...

It seems like I have a woodlot to clear, a full house to re-decorate, and a 300 cubic-metre pond to dig out - as well as some fencing to do before spring...

We'll see ;D

I'll keep at it - and let you know when I'm past researching.

Thank you.

I'll do my best ;D.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 09:51:43 PM »
No problem, advice is free good advice is priceless....

I will also give you a couple of words of wisdom from a pair of guys long in the Roid buisness.

"India Cares not and the learing curve is steep" This from a fellow whom I asked about different brands of engine and quality ect....

This I recieved from another fellow who knows the first.

" The other fellow lied, India enjoys taking your money and hurting you. The learning curve is very very steep "

Keep these words of wisdom in the back of your mind Hampster....

Doug