Author Topic: 12/2 vs 1/14  (Read 10690 times)

GIII

• View Profile
Re: 12/2 vs 1/14
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 12:48:35 AM »
We have a 14/1 and at rated speed it sounds very busy and the power impulses are real.  At 600-700 RPM it is much more fun to be around, though.  There is combustion noise from the DI but that's why I like a diesel!  I have thiought about getting another Listeroid for a plaything but am also undecided on single or double cylinder.  I would hate to have the gear problems that some have had with the twins.  I will attract flames for this opinion, but if you need lots of hard part spares, I believe that you have bought the wrong thing.

George

clickclackboombang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »
hello I am a new guy...   just had a 14/1 delivered from colorado to CT  at a cost of 479 for shipping.  can't wait to start working on her.  I will post my progress and data with the 14/1.   I am putting together a 12KW gen.  I plan to link to an inverter/charger with a battery bank. 

dieselhead

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 07:31:21 PM »
Hello Clickclack,

Did you buy from Eric at RMPS ?   If yes,  let me know how smooth the engine runs & who is the manufacturer ?

I am thinking of trading my shaking/jumping 10/1 for a 12/1 or 14/1. 

Also, how much did you pay for it ?

Thanks , Jeff

hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 01:57:01 AM »
I'd love to hear a review. 

George, aren't you using yours to run a compressor on a boat?  I think I read something about it while searching.

I was thinking about the AL piston in the 14/2's being considered a liability, but wouldn't it make it smoother running without so much reciprocating weight?

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 02:45:49 AM »
There is an amount of liability in everything we do; aluminum pistons have been used in diesels for decades with good results and were, infact, used first to help deal with unbalance.  The Listeriod exhaust temperatures are so low that it is hard for me to imagine piston damage for heat at any reasonable power level.  Scuffing and seizure are common even with cast iron pistons if care isn't taken during running.  Lube and break in issues are far more important for long life than materials of construction on a low specific output  slow speed engine.

There are always backups in marine service, too, so that if the Listeroid should fail for ANY reason there is another generator and another air compressor.  I think AN engine of ANY manufacture is a liability if it is the sole source of power for a life support system, but thankfully most applications are not life support.

In any case, the 14/1 Metro I got from Sam Crosby is not a hopper.  When running on a shipping skid in the shop it slowly precessed in a circle, taking about two hours to transit it's course.  Once the whole assembly was ready to install I test ran it for a week under load with no precession or hop while resting on four pieces of rubber on the concrete floor.

Standing by, ready for flames and criticism,
George

clickclackboombang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 05:46:31 PM »
to answer dieselhead... Yes the engine was from Eric @ RMPS.   It is an Ashwamegh from vijay engineering corp.  I paid $1450 if i remember correctly.  for an extra 200 Eric will do an pre-run exam of the engine...  sump for sand and clearences  of valves etc .  HE is the guy you should email with questions about sales... very cool with the shipping time and answering questions from the new guy.  The engine seems to be built  soundly..turns over nice   I have not run her yet.   very soon... I am waiting on a puley, and I still need a cooling setup.  But I have looked her over fairly well and I m pleased with the engine  valves needed  ajusting and a good cleaning  on the inside!!!some paint removed from the outside, all is well  Time will tell    good luck  CCBB