Slow Speed Diesel Engines > Other Slow Speed Diesels

Lister versus Detroit 2-71

(1/3) > >>

Procrustes:
I'm looking for an engine to power a genset.  My requirements are water cooled, slow speed, reliable, and not too smelly or loud.  I plan to build a shed, or  if I can get something under 1,000 pounds or so I could use my existing 8x16 toolshed, which is on piers but it's settled pretty well and anyway I can use shims as it settles more.  Cost is always a factor.

Anyone have thoughts about the Detroit 2-71 units such as at http://affordablepower.com?  They are 1250rpm, indirect injection, rock solid reliability, two cycle.  They're bigger than the Listers at around 38hp.  They come with 12.5kW or 20kW brushless heads, though I'm told the 12.5kW peaks closer to 16kW.

Are these noisy and smelly compared to the Listeroids?  Any other considerations?

Doug:
71s are no worse than most for smoke and smelliness.....
They do scream, and there is blower noise.
Parts are easy to come by.

The fuel bill might suprise you, this is after all a big genset. Kind of like crushing ants with a sledge hammer.

Doug

SHIPCHIEF:
I have some experience with them.
They are an excellent standby generator. They can stand long periods of neglect, then start right up and go to full power. They are very loud They are very reliable. They haven't made any in 20 years+. They dont leak oil, they sweat oil ;). But they are also easy to work on, and parts are easy to get.
And they use more fuel than a 4 stroke.
They are sometimes found with a 12 wire alternator (by arranging the connections you can have a single phase 240 V or 3 phase 208 V or 230V) so if you need 3 phase ?? If one falls in your lap, be sure to take it.
After I got my Listeroid running I got two Onans for free in a matter of months. It's probably generator Karma.
I fell for Listeroids and I'm having a Hoot, even though I had several problems. If you go with a reputable local importer that has been around for about 10 years, you can get a good Listeroid. Get a small one and plan to schedule your load, you know; don't use the clothes drier, the stove and the hot water heater at the same time. Go for the 650 RPM unit, they are so sweet.

Procrustes:
Thanks Doug and Shipchief.  Maybe I'll have to pass on the Detroit.  I don't need the racket and poor economy.  Too bad, I was looking forward to restoring it.

Believe me, I'd love to justify a 6/1.  However unlike the Detroit it's just not big enough to start my two 240V pumps.

I've been reading that my utility, Puget Sound Energy, is required by the state of Washington to buy renewable energy from the customer at $0.15 (veggie isn't mentioned in the statute so this may not fly).  Also I'd have to buy two inverters to make 240V AC and a battery bank.  If it works this would be a nice setup though.  After all a 6/1 produces plenty of power for me on a daily basis, it's just these dang induction motors that trip me up.  A nice side effect is that I think I'd effectively have UPS, which is nice in an age where every electronics manufacturer is sure you lack a clock in your home.

swedgemon:
For reference, when I started working in the on & off-road diesel industry about 35 years ago, a Detroit Diesel was referred to as a device for turning diesel fuel into noise...a Mack was (is) a device for turning diesel fuel into soot.  Another characteristic of a Detroit is that it slobbers sooted-up engine oil all over the place.
Swedgemon
Somewhere in Kentucky

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version