Author Topic: seeking an answer...  (Read 38205 times)

oldnslow

• View Profile
Re: seeking an answer...
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2006, 10:46:56 PM »
Lots of very successful people, creative in their own right have said: If you don't know the answer, surround yourself with those who can figure it out for you.

When Edison was asked to show his mathematical formulas on the theory of the electric light he replied something to the fact that he wasn't a mathematician, but an inventor. Inefficient perhaps but ultimately effective.

Use your mind according to it's unique talents. If you are incapable of doing the math, like myself don't let it stop you. You will eventually find the answer.

Thanks for the equations on the block, Bob.

Guy is a whiz and I read along as best I can. He is trying to teach a person to "fish" rather than just spout the answer. Even if he gave the answer to us, and the equations, would I be able to follow them and understand how he got to the answer? Maybe. Anyway, downloaded those PDF's (THANKS!) but I have small kids and little extra time. GF has one on the way. If he is like anyone else, he will be in the same boat soon.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

Doug

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2006, 01:42:14 AM »
Bob where did you get the the formulas to calculate the block size?

I'd like to read that over in depth....

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2006, 05:15:48 AM »
Doug:

"where did i get the formula's?"

i am holding that one close to the vest for a while

at least until i see the spec's on the ton block of concrete, and i see some equations out of Guy.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »
Bob, I did not see a variable in the formula for the density of the concrete and it's probably an average figured in as a constant. Just curious, and you don't have to give any secret equations but if you changed the density of the block substance to something heavier, will the dimensions change? Could it make the block more compact?
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2006, 04:13:45 PM »
the density of the concrete block was not a consideration, for a couple of reasons

1. because of how the vector forces work within the block,  density has little interaction, and

2. the fact that the amount of water used, mix ratio's, working time, and setting conditions all have radical effect on the overall density and stregth of the end product.

you can reduce the size of the block a bit more, if you want to first reduce the height above the floor (Bd), but from  a practical standpoint the block dimensions shown for the 1936 5/1 are should be seen as the minimum from a strength standpoint of the concrete inself.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info