Puppeteer

Author Topic: India Photos ~ RMPS  (Read 16771 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: India Photos ~ RMPS
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 03:35:03 PM »
Tom Robbins once wrote:  " As optimistic as a new-born fly in a Mexican resturant."    He obviously never saw an Indian tea shop!

I have a Prakash oil sample if anyone would like to send it off to see if it was 'new' oil or not.     ;D

Great pictures...it's a lot like meeting new in-laws for the first time....and finding they live in a cave with oil drum funiture.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 06:17:18 PM »
the idea of no mufflers is so they never hear them knocking

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 09:02:25 PM »
We have our ways of cutting fractions of a penny from the cost of a unit (chiefly through use of more cheap energy), and they have theirs (apparently through use of more cheap labor).
  The dyno is a brake horesepower unit.  Just homemade with what they had.  Do the calculations and you can get the same numbers.
  To some extent I can see the situation there with the fast food shop and tea shop.  How clean and well maintained do you think McDonalds would be if they could only charge 26cents for a whopper, but, it was the only way to stay alive. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 03:43:44 AM »
You have obviously never paid much attention to what it looks like back there where they cook the hamburgers at McDonalds  :D
MLG Gib Key Pullers

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 09:08:19 PM »
  Granted about the McDonalds.  But I have eaten at a few one man greasy spoons where you can get a $10.00 meal for $4.50 as long as you willing to accept that the little crevices haven't been scrubbed clean in 20-30 years.  The work surfaces are very clean, however, "High Class" diners at a fancy restaurant would tend to run away from the place rapidly as being eicky!  You know the ones that sue you because they spilled hot coffee on themselves. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:13:35 PM by bitsnpieces1 »
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 02:59:23 AM »
Here is a little tour of the Dursley Lister works in the 1930's. The first few picts of the factory are very reminiscent of the India Picts from Eric. Give them some time & they'll get it together.
http://www.dursleyglos.plus.com/dursleyglos/html/dursley/industry/listers/works_tour/works_tour.htm 
binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 05:14:00 AM »
That was really neat Binnie. I wonder how many miles of overhead belts they had?     Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
The first few pictures of the Dursley works was the foundry,  not the assembly room!

The Dursley works shows a clean, organized and well thought out manufacturing facility using space, light and energy to best advantage.

It looks like some of the Indian works haven't made it to 1930 levels yet, but I agree with Binnie.  They WILL catch up.
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 11:17:37 PM »
Thanks Eric for those pictures! Those are great. And thanks to binnie too for that link.

I worry that by the time that india catches up to the rest of the world in terms of manufacturing, they will catch up in the products they make too, ie changfa-type high-speed engines. That will be sad.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

RMPS

• ERIC LYONS
  • Biodiesel 14 HP Engine
    • View Profile
    • Rocky Mountain Power Source
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »
Thanks for posting those!

I'd love to see photos of an Indian foundry. Guys in sandals pouring molten iron :o

Here are a few...

FOUNDRY POURING MOLTON METAL
Here they are pouring the Petter Type cylinders.

FRESHLY POURED
Freshly poured Petter cylinder - this thing was still smoking.

FOUNDRY METAL CRUSHER PLANT
This is where they break the scrap iron down to small enough pieces to fit in the copula furnace.

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 07:40:08 PM »
Wow, I guess with labor like this there's no way the US is ever going to get any decent manufacturing jobs back.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:38 PM »
 And we think we have sand problems !!!

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 03:58:14 AM »
I see I'm not the only one who likes to wear sandals while working.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 04:09:09 AM »
I think it would be fun to print up a big bunch of those pictures with the caption
LET'S KEEP PERSPECTIVE"  and put them on every windshield in the OSHA parking lot.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 04:31:36 AM »
boy now we know why there are voids in some of the castings
actually under the conditions that they work under it is amazing that the quality is
as good as it is.

thanks for the pics

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info