Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hello from Mid. Ga.  (Read 5319 times)

hoffman

• View Profile
Hello from Mid. Ga.
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:42:43 AM »
I've been reading the forum for about a week or so and decided I'd post a hello.  I'm your basic tinkerer with a small backyard machine/welding shop. (Mostly hobby stuff for my own enjoyment and making stuff work/run!)

I've had an interest in Listeroids for a few years now since discovering them on the internet. Fortunately, I'm in the process of moving from an urban area, (I'm in Warner Robins now) to a rural area (Schley County) and I hope to get a Listeroid genset for back-up power and just watching it run.  I sort of rediscovered the Listers after doing some research on off the shelf back up generators.  3000 hours just doesn't sound that great and I'd hat to have a 3500 rpm screamer running all night and day if I really needed it. I really think a Lister would be the way to go.  I'm also pretty interested in fooling with some WVO in the future.

I really enjoy looking at, and listening to, the videos of these motors on the internet!

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi.

Any pros/cons of single cylinder vs twin?  I'm thinking that a single has fewer parts so there's less to crap out.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Mid. Ga.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 02:59:32 AM »
I like my Listers like my women..... in twins LOL

I have a som single and look fwd to getting it up and running
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:02:05 AM »
hello from atlanta ga..good to see some one else in ga. has the diesel bug// I will have 2 running this week end at a show in n ga. email me and I will send you the location.sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

AuburnTiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:28:24 PM »
Good to know there are some deep south Listerites.  I would love to see one of these rascals run.  Any chance for a get together?  Are there other deep south instalations out there?  Hello?

Mark

hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »
Thanks for the invite Sid but I'm pretty busy for a while.  I've sold the house I'm living I'm doing a big renovation on the house I'm moving to.

One of the down-sides to having a lot of big toys is moving them!  I'm in the process of moving my whole shop into storage until I get a new one built at the "new" house.  (Sort of sad :-[)

I hope I haven't missed the Lister boat with all these EPA regs coming online. I've actually convinced the "war department" (wife) that something like a 15 kw back-up generator would be a good thing in the future. No off-grid stuff for me but it would be nice to have some juice when the grid goes down! There's also the plus of having another machine to tinker with.

Anyone heard of Ural motorcycles?  My weird machine...

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 03:33:37 PM »
mike in n.c has a shipment on the way // might get in touch with him//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 03:40:28 PM »

know them fairly well, has yours started  pissing lube oil out of the pushrod tubes / return drains yet?
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »

Any pros/cons of single cylinder vs twin?  I'm thinking that a single has fewer parts so there's less to crap out.

I would love to have a twin!......It is a weight issue with me! My loader will only lift and handle 1200# a twin setup goes past that. >:(
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 11:37:51 PM »

I can see a connection here between Ural/ BMW and Listeroid/Lister. :) Has yours got the reverse?
Wonder if Lister cylinders would fit on a Urinal? ;D
I had a R100RS which also leaked from the pushrod tubes (when I first got it, 6 yrs old)

I like my Listers like my women.....

Or do you mean overweight....or green....or hard to get started...(think I'll stop right there :)

Cheers,

Brian

hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 12:54:25 AM »
Yep, the Ural is a Russian BMW clone. Same QC problems as I've read about the Listeroids... The only problem with a URAL is that it can go about 70 MPH with a person on it!!

I think I'd be right at home with a Listeroid  :P

On a side note about a Lister on a Urinal, Anyone seen the guy with the Chinese diesel on his bike. He sells plans on Ebay.