Author Topic: Things aren't what they seem...  (Read 5004 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Things aren't what they seem...
« on: November 05, 2006, 02:40:03 PM »
I just ran across this again while this forum was open in another window, so it cross pollinated.

Some time ago I played with the idea of putting classic spoke wheels on my motorcycle to replace the mechanically superior cast wheels.

Yes, this was for the look of spoke wheels.

It was only when my mate rode past the window with his spoke wheels that I realised something, the mental picture I had of spoke wheels did not come from my eyes, it came from my eyes looking at pictures taken with a camera shutter, the 15th to 25th of a second shutter speed of the human eye makes things look a lot different to 1/500th on a camera.

Those lovely spoke wheels are a blur, just like the cast one, except when you are parked, and if you make your wheel selection purely on how the bike looks when parked then you'd better move to california and change your name to arlen ness and give up all hope of actually riding a bike, and stick to building art.

I mention it here because I have been riding all my life, but I still, automatically, took something that was utterly false and unrealistic as being the gospel truth about how things were, and never questioned it.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Things aren't what they seem...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:37:40 PM »
interesting

sort of goes along the lines of einsteins "everything being relative" or at least perception

seems like at least for me, in life nearly everything i have perceived to be one thing is often something else upon closer examination
beit a mechanical bit or a woman  :)

probably why it is so important to step back and take a breath, then come back with fresh eyes.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
A car ride with the boy tends to make you look with news eyes....

"Connor-isms" at 2 years + 6 months

" Thats where doughnuts come from " Tim Hortons....

" Dady not pretty " comment to the hair dresser cutting my mop...

" Scotch make dady fall down " trip to the Liquer store. He's a keen observer of cause and effect

"  Nice rock " Good place to sit, run hide ect ect

" Whats that smell ? " Could be anything son, as apposed to stinky we know wha that means

" I fix the hose " Yes he fixed my Petter oil line with a plastic wrench and managed to incorperate it into some sort of lego castle

What do these slightly meaningless have to do with comments have to do with observation. I look at things for what they are and how they are used. My son looks at things he doesn't understand or at least fully grasp and sees what he wants or could be. And the older we get the more closed minded we become.

A kubota ingnition switch makes a wonderful toy robot....

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 09:02:37 PM »
Well the thing is that people can only really admire your bike when you have stopped moving so get them spokes on it cos they are beautifull.Also i have noticed some customised cars have wheel hubs that do not spin when moving.Get some non spinning spoked wheel hubs for your bike :D :D

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 10:37:38 PM »
just dip the whole bike in flat black paint, forget the lights and ride it on moonless nights...

then the choice of wheels becomes mute

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:37:58 AM »
Be the king of bling : http://www.tiretagz.com/product.php

"Created using technology originally developed for Indy Car racing in the USA, TireTagz uses complex electronic circuitry and high frequency LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) to create patterns, images, words and even animations within the wheels of your car while you drive!"

A couple of those for the ol' lister and you'll be all set.  :D

Doug

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 03:58:58 AM »
I just had a vission of listeroids with spinners on the fly wheels.......

Doug

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:58:26 AM »
Here's what your Lister needs:  http://www.bumpernuts.com/

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »
With thanks to rleonard for the Lister pic and the good folks at bumpernuts.com (no affiliation):

Do you think they are too big?