Puppeteer

Author Topic: Original CS converted to TRB's  (Read 11633 times)

Doug

Re: Original CS converted to TRB's
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 03:32:19 AM »
Yes they are Petter bearings....

Not Listeroid and i should have mentioned that too. Most if not all the sinlge Petteroids imported are the plunger pump TRB version.

http://kirloskarapps.kirloskar.com/kirloskar/web/13$5002.html
This is the top of the line in Petteroids, the KOEL DM10. No TRB mentioned here

Look here at Satyajeet. Art first glance its not obvious but the motor on the right is bushed, its gear pump oiled and it has the heavy fly wheel. The TRB engine is the general purpose pump motor. The heavier castings, bigger fly wheel and better oiling tell the story about the engine intended for generators, but you need to know what to look for in the pictures.
http://www.satyajeet.com/de3.htm

Gangadha, its not hard to tell from the weight of castings and technical info the BB engines are the premium ones not the trb.
http://www.gangadhar.net/diesel_engines2.html

I have PEC's version of the DM10. My best guess is this is as close to what ever the original Petters were before KOEL began to tinker and pump up the design ( I think its a P series with a little AV and AVB mixed in where common parts could be used. I need to talk more about this with Peter but I become more convinced the more I read about the PH on Peter's webpages ).

Now back to the Listeroids. If the Indians build a premium Petteroids with BB and not TRB then why would we assume the premium Listeroid is a TRB unit when so far as I have been able to tell no one has ever even imported one?

Doug

Doug

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 03:42:58 AM »
Thats just makes me laugh....

109 pounds for a head? thats nearly 10 times what you would be for it from PEC. These are BTW PEC Powerline parts. The stickers are a dead give away, the bottom left hand unreadable text on the Sticker says Powerline.

And before anyone goes and spends 15 pounds on a oil bath filter pay the postage and I'll give you one ( too cheap to bother asking for money ).

Doug

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 04:03:15 AM »
Cool Ill take one... ;D  Brother can ya spare some bush bearings?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 04:40:34 AM »
MLG:
     Just bought some mains from Mr Patel for the princely sum of US $ 6.50 each. You could probably manage that :Dl
    I'd lay big money on the fact that the TRB housings would bolt straight onto a Dursley motor... but why would you want to?
Doug:
      Listeroids are available with bushes on request.My twin has bushes, but it would be a waste of time to fit TRB's as you would still need the pump for the centre main.   

Cheers,

Brian

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 06:44:40 AM »
Doug,

You said:  "Personaly for what it cost I can't understand why you order and engine with TRBs.
No Actualy I know why, no one asks for engines that were good enough to to move down the line to the premium bushed engine production area."

Don't you think you're painting with a rather broad brush there?  Here's a shot from the Smokstak.com forum http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32356

Check out the following pic of a TRB main bearing on an AJAX oil field engine.  20 HP/400 rpm.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax27.jpg

Everything's a compromise to some extent.  TRBs have their place.  I'll agree with much of what Guy says and all of what Smokey says about crankshaft support, especially since, whilst reading David Edgington's (may his name be praised) most excellent book, it appears there was a continuous trend of beefing up the crankshaft and crank pin diameters during the early stages of the development of the 5/1 from its petrol predecessor.  As for plain journal bearings, you can buy a new crankshaft and bearing housings and journal bearings for a 'roid and retrofit, and the parts might even fit OK,  but would you really want to trust the life of your engine to the funky little piston pump that the Indians make?  Or to a belt-driven external pump?  I'd prefer an internally-driven gear pump; something with a little MOJO.  For the time being, though, splash lubrication and TRBs are made for each other.

Still waiting to hear of a failure of TRBs in an Indian 6/1.

Quinn

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 06:57:24 AM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
MLG:
     Just bought some mains from Mr Patel for the princely sum of US $ 6.50 each. You could probably manage that :Dl
    I'd lay big money on the fact that the TRB housings would bolt straight onto a Dursley motor... but why would you want to?

Cheers,

Brian

How do I get in touch with Mr. Patel?  I suspect he is from India?  I didn't think they liked doing just one small order like this.  Could a US bearing supplier have the size bearings we use?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Doug

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the tune up Quin....

The Ajax is the first engine outside of India I have heard of using TRBs...
I still don't like the idea because there are so many better ways to go. I wonder what would make Ajax choose a TRB when you could easily get a real good ball or truss of needed. To me its just a shortcut to center, set end play and have a bearing at the same time.

IMO try and do three things at once and your likely to do non of them as well as dedicated  idividual parts.

Doug

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 11:34:21 PM »

Atul Patel's details:

info@poweranand.com

http://www.poweranand.com/diesel_engine.htm

I've just completed my first transaction with him.Geat to deal with, very prompt (and keen!). Usual disclaimer.

My original B/e shells have the vandervell mark (I think) with "4016" and the No's  "008-0419"
The centre main has "miba 673" and 10-2 E13 on the top shell and 10-2 E14 on the bottom.Can anyone cross reference these to a current catalogue?

The outer mains only have the Lister part No on them.

Cheers,

Brian