Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petter VS Petteroid  (Read 5307 times)

Doug

Petter VS Petteroid
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:52 AM »
More than the Listers I think India has taken the Petteroid to level well beyond what it was to begin with....

I just thought I would share a couple of pictures
Here's my head
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3599709
What kind of Petter is this too big for an AV and bigger than PH.

But the gaskets are the same as the PH
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Petters-PHW1-PHW2-Head-Gasket-Set_W0QQitemZ7620804946QQihZ017QQcategoryZ58177QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Sort of the head gasket is smaller in the PH and some of the holes are different.

More to come as find pictures and details to compare.

Doug

listerdiesel

Re: Petter VS Petteroid
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 07:52:41 AM »
That head looks awfully like the AVB LAB head:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Caterpillar/AVBLab2.htm

Has yours got the same hole in the front under the injector ??

Peter

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »
If that engines shakes like my real Petter PJ-1 air cooled 12 HP that control box will be shaken to destruction in short order.  The casting and machining on the head shown looks very good!  My Petter has 6 head studs, your model has only four I see.

I need a new head for my engine.  Does anyone know if an Indian manufacturer makes a PJ clone and if so are there 6 head bolts?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:39:02 PM »
My Petter has 6 head studs, your model has only four I see.

I think that all the water-cooled engines had the main holding bolts around the cylinder where they did the most good, but they were also pretty chunky as well.

The PJ has six bolts because the head is perched on top of the liner with nothing else to keep it there, while the water-cooled lumps have a huge machined flat face to sit the block and the head on. No competition really :-))

PJ's are quite popular in scrap yards in the UK as they were used in many small wheeled things like dumper trucks etc. Our local yard used to have a decent collection of air-cooled stuff, I can ask the question if you need one and cannot find one.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 03:39:05 PM »
Yes Petter my heads have the same coolant port under then injector as the AVB, but it looks a little smaller on the Indian product. Other differences are the location of the decompressor handle and and added and deleted 5/16 threaded holes for parts you have that I don't and such.

The starter bracket is giong to be of interest. It uses a Bosch starter ( clone ) and is probably one of the most intersting casting.

rcavictim:
There are at least 15 Indian Petter  varients using the 6 bolt air cooled head gasket pattern....
One of them must be close....

Doug