Puppeteer

Author Topic: Finding parts to restore a 3/1  (Read 5534 times)

Flyingpony

• View Profile
Finding parts to restore a 3/1
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:22:15 AM »
Got a 600rpm 3/1 which is in need of some new parts and thus far I haven't found any places which stock them.

This engine was last reconditioned in 1972 when its pump shed got flooded by a river.  Since '95 it's been driving an 80amp car alternator recharging a 12v battery bank.  It's been reliable as an old shoe and clocks around 2500-3500hrs per year.  Worst break downs have been a broken fuel pump governor spring and spilt pin.  Hours clocked pre-'95 are unknown.

Current problem is a serious lack of compression and when slowly cranking you can hear it wheeze in/out (with compression on) through the pitted and worn valves.  In winter it sometimes needs an air intake shot of Ezy-Start to get going.  It's also losing oil out both ends of the crank.

Given its clocked easily 30,000hrs, I doubt new valves and new crank shaft oil seals (assuming this design has them) will be sufficient.  Not sure how worn the gear train inside is due access difficulties.

Have already asked Mr Atul Patel but unfortunately he doesn't have any parts for the 3/1.
Have tried finding another working 3/1 or 3.5/1 in NZ but they're just not on the market place, only high speed units or those out of ships, Hmm.

So my questions are:

1: Who stocks parts for this reliable little work horse?
Please post sufficient contact details and what items they have because I'm located in New Zealand.

2: Given how common the 6/1 is, how many of its internal parts are compatible with the 3/1?

P.S. This engine is located about 20m from the house and you need to strain the ears to pick up its faint boom boom boom noise - lovely! (Runs a straight pipe, no muffler)  Much friendlier than the high speed 3hp lister it replaced which could be still heard over the TV at 80m!

Thank you very much.

Mr X

• View Profile
Re: Finding parts to restore a 3/1
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 02:02:48 AM »
I happen to know a fellow whom has a 3/1 for sale he also has a 6/1 they are pricey and live in northern Alberta. If it interest u let me know Ill give u his phone number.
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 03:20:10 AM »
atul has been very good to me and others about parts "spares" as they refer. if no avail measure calipers or whatever` to get size required and go from there. seals are man. by many different. price may get you.. you will pay hefty fee for a seal from there to here  the shipping may out weigh the cost of parts.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 04:33:22 AM »
You might try these guys ,http://www.diesel-electric.us/  I bought lots of SR2 parts from them.

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »

2: Given how common the 6/1 is, how many of its internal parts are compatible with the 3/1?

Thank you very much.

From the block to crankcase joint down, it is identical to the 5/1 and 6/1 engines. There are felt oil seals on the main bearing housings and a collar on the crankshaft.

None of the block, head, rockers,valves etc etc are the same as the larger engines.

I think we have a pair of new Lister valves for the 3/1 and we also have new injector nozzles.

Peter

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 02:45:44 AM »
Got a 600rpm 3/1 which is in need of some new parts and thus far I haven't found any places which stock them.

This engine was last reconditioned in 1972 when its pump shed got flooded by a river.  Since '95 it's been driving an 80amp car alternator recharging a 12v battery bank.  It's been reliable as an old shoe and clocks around 2500-3500hrs per year.  Worst break downs have been a broken fuel pump governor spring and spilt pin.  Hours clocked pre-'95 are unknown.

Current problem is a serious lack of compression and when slowly cranking you can hear it wheeze in/out (with compression on) through the pitted and worn valves.  In winter it sometimes needs an air intake shot of Ezy-Start to get going.  It's also losing oil out both ends of the crank.

Given its clocked easily 30,000hrs, I doubt new valves and new crank shaft oil seals (assuming this design has them) will be sufficient.  Not sure how worn the gear train inside is due access difficulties.

Have already asked Mr Atul Patel but unfortunately he doesn't have any parts for the 3/1.
Have tried finding another working 3/1 or 3.5/1 in NZ but they're just not on the market place, only high speed units or those out of ships, Hmm.

So my questions are:

1: Who stocks parts for this reliable little work horse?
Please post sufficient contact details and what items they have because I'm located in New Zealand.

P.S. This engine is located about 20m from the house and you need to strain the ears to pick up its faint boom boom boom noise - lovely! (Runs a straight pipe, no muffler)  Much friendlier than the high speed 3hp lister it replaced which could be still heard over the TV at 80m!

Thank you very much.
Hi.I'm on Great Barrier Island, where 6-1s and 3-1s are very much the engines of choice.
The 3-1 is the same as a 6-6 from the crankcase down. The oil seals in a 3-1 are the same as a 6-1. The 3-1 valves are different, although the valve guides are the same according to my nineteen thirty-something manual. I recently bought a new set of valves and guides for our 1935 6-1 which has a worn exhaust valve guide. Complete with a new head gasket, it all came to <$200. (The price of a new valve in the manual is 3 shillings!) Our local Lister repair man's phone number is 09 4290885 - Andy is his name...
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 02:52:03 AM »
P.S. Take it easy with the Easy-Start.... it's brutal stuff!! If you must use something, try WD40.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 09:55:24 PM »
I have just purchased 4 valves from e-bay.2 for a 3/1 and 2 for a 5/1.The 3/1 valves are of no use to me so i was going to put them back on e-bay.So if you want let me know.