Author Topic: 12 HP Witte diesel  (Read 21192 times)

DaveW

• View Profile
12 HP Witte diesel
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »
  On the road visiting family before deep snow sets in.  In southern Illinois I came across a bone yard in the country for old pump jacks.  One still had an engine on it.  Long story short, 4 hours later I heard it run.  12 HP Witte diesel, single horizontal, twin flywheels, top mounted radiator.  Serious rust but clean inside, starts on second flip.  A hundred dollar bill and it was mine.  The rest of the story, I'm now in northern Ohio and still two stops to go til we get home.  I'm am counting on a brother-in-law to get it to his place til spring when I can return with a truck, and he had a hungry look in his eye.  But I know where he lives, so all should be ok.  I will post pictures when back to Texas.  The only problem I saw was the exhaust consisted of about 14 inches of 2 inch pipe, welded in, and it made a serious thump on each power stroke.  I purely hope the head can be salvaged, a replacement would be hard to find.  As it is, it is not even close to quiet.  I may just cut it back some, weld on a fitting, and add a muffler to it without ever trying to take the pipe off.

Procrustes

• View Profile
Re: 12 HP Witte diesel
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »
arrowengine.com carries Witte parts.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:17:10 AM »
hi old propane tanks make good mufflers,
Good luck and keep us posted.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »

This is the engine I spotted on my recent trip up north.  I keep telling myself not to take a trip without truck, chain hoist, come-alongs, and tie-downs, but gas is so expensive and red truck is a heavy drinker on a 2800 mile trip. Still have to go back and get it.  Needs some serious work but it does run.  Now I have to wait til spring to play with it.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:39:52 PM »
Hi Dave

Nice find.  I am looking for a pump jack.  Where did you find the pump jack boneyard? Im in Illinois.  Thanks
MLG Gib Key Pullers

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
  MLG-
     North of Olney about 6 1/2 miles off 130 about a quarter mile. Don't know the number of the gravel road, but later today I can call my brother-in-law and get a phone number for you to call.  He knows everyone around there, after 40 years the ones I knew are gone.  The jacks are mostly Nationals, some look complete, some are parts, and some are in shambles.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 05:32:11 AM »
Yeh I'm about an hour from Olney.  Might pan out.  Thanks.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Doug.Waggonner.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 09:08:11 PM »
Nice find.  ;D However....thats Not a Witte nor a Diesel.  That engine is a Fairbanks Morse model "ZC 208"  It is 12hp though.  The best place in your area to buy NEW parts for that engine is Big Al's Machine in Enfield, Ill. or Garrison Jones & Sons in Fairfield, Ill.   Once you get those FM engines back in shape and tuned right there is not a smoother running engine to be had!  For TONS of info on these and all oter Oilfield engines check out WWW.SmokStak.com  and go to the Oilfield Engine Forum.   Have fun!  :o

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 02:58:55 AM »
Hi Doug. Nice to see you over here. I thought that thing looked an awful lot like the 346 I got from you.

Chris
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 03:34:49 AM »
 Went back and checked and you are right. I posted the wrong picture. On our trip I had about 270 pictures, and was just glad that I finally managed to post a picture in with the text.  At that point I was just happy it wasn't a picture of a white squirrel.  Somewhere on this site there needs to be a step by step instruction set for picture insertion for dummies like me.  If I can follow through without messing up I will find and post the right one.  (Should have been obvious, the picture after this one shows an end view and a mag, good tip off it wasn't the diesel.)  In real life I live just north of Houston, this trip was visiting family.  But I thank you for the info on parts, and will pass it along to my brother-in-law, he is the one who wanted the FM.

listerdiesel

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:30:50 AM »
Yeh I'm about an hour from Olney.  Might pan out.  Thanks.

We are about 1/2hour from Olney, but this one is the 'original' one in Buckinghamshire, UK :-))

Peter

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »
  First, what is "fsockopen" and such when trying to reply to a message?

Second, no, sorry this one is north of Olney, or conversely south of Dundas just east of 130 about 1/4 mile.  I think the road number was 1700, and the sign said Bob's Well Service, or some such.  My brother-in-law is still on the road, or I would have a number to post to MLG. MLG, I have tried to reply to your PM, but can't seem to get through.  My address is dwitte at houston dot rr dot com if you want to post me a message.  Still trying to salvage images after my wife went to the international quilt festival and used the camera. I think we need more of those little memory card things.  And my sister just mutters about rusty junk sitting on the trailer when I ask her to go look at the sign.  It gets rough when you are 16 hours away to provide the information needed. 

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
Hi Dave

How's it going with the Witte?  Sure would like to hear an update. 

Best Regards
MLG Gib Key Pullers

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »
MLG -
  The past weeks have been chaotic.  My mother passed away after an extended illness, and many things were put on hold including a decision on engine(s).
  The Witte diesel has internal problems with worn parts and low compression.  A family friend who services and rebuilds for the oil patch in that area says that the Witte parts are so very dear that I should consider an old FM.  He has a 208 for trade and can provide all the parts needed for about 1/5 the cost of the Witte parts.  He can even set it up for LP gas which would be great.  Other than the nostalgia of the name I am not sure which would be a better engine, and I certainly don't want to sink a ton of money into what will be a backup generator here in Houston.  He may be wanting the Witte in the trade because it is so scarce up there, but I only want a reliable generator for hurricane season.  (I may never get my Lister running if I can't figure out a way to get it unstuck.  I've even thought of beating it apart and then replacing what breaks, but that seems a trifle crude)
  While driving back home I came across several stashes of old FM's and such, my log for future trips is filling quickly.  One in particular includes a couple of tiny FM engines that without the radiator would come only halfway to my knee.  They were so cute I am tempted to try to revive one just for fun.

The two small ones in the rear are labeled Fairbanks Morse with a Z in the middle of the label.

Did you ever get down to Dundas to see the pump jacks? There are several there in various states of complete.  My brother in Texas has one for an lawn decoration but it only stands about 3 feet high.  One of those little FM engines would make a great addition to his jack.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 06:37:34 AM »
Hi Dave

I am sorry to hear that your mother has passed on.  I lost my grandparents a few years ago after a long lingering attle with cancer.  To be honest, it was a relief that they didn't have to suffer any longer. 

I haven' made it to Dundas.  Too many projects going on here, but I could take on another one if you want to part with the Witte.  Is it still up here?  Do you have an original Lister?  And it is stuck?  Piston rusted to cylinders?  If thats the case I'd pour some hot water in the cylinder and get a pneumatic engraver.  The kind you put your name on tools with.  It emitts different frequencies breaking up the rust. I've had good luck with it.  The hot water goes where penetrating oil can't and it is suit to the rust since its what caused the rust to begin with.  Just dont leave it wet when you stop working on it.  Wipe it dry and use compressed air and a heat gun to dry it back out if you go away from the job for a while.  Might even want to hit it with some Kroil in between sessions.  Any way theres more then on way to skin a cat, I'm sure you'll hear all kinds of methods.  Let me know if you wanna sell the Witte, I'd sure like to have it.    Have a good one.
MLG Gib Key Pullers