Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa how large, will they run 10,000hrs before going blam crunch oh $hit  (Read 5110 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
  From what I've seen a 20 peak HP 125mmx120 Changfa appears to be the largest on the market. I tried the www.changfa.com and the www.changfa.cc  sites and both my computers stalled, then couldn't find the sites?
   On the average. Are these engines any good and run thousands of hours on clean air, clean oil and clean fuel? Has there an odd dud here and there? Or are they all boat anchors in the making?  I seen another post on this site saying they are a 100hr machine. How many have thousands of hours in North America on a Changfa? 
  Importing into Canada so the epa hasn't gone silly in our markets, yet.

europachris

• View Profile
  From what I've seen a 20 peak HP 125mmx120 Changfa appears to be the largest on the market. I tried the www.changfa.com and the www.changfa.cc  sites and both my computers stalled, then couldn't find the sites?
   On the average. Are these engines any good and run thousands of hours on clean air, clean oil and clean fuel? Has there an odd dud here and there? Or are they all boat anchors in the making?  I seen another post on this site saying they are a 100hr machine. How many have thousands of hours in North America on a Changfa? 
  Importing into Canada so the epa hasn't gone silly in our markets, yet.

Well, I've not run my Changfa R185 even 100 hours yet, but my overall impressions are that it's a pretty high quality engine.  Mine starts easily, runs strong, doesn't smoke, doesn't leak and is absolutely spotless inside.  Hearing one run doesn't exactly give a person the impression that it's going to hold together, but evidently they do.  It wouldn't surprise me to see one go 10K hours.  I'd only be wary of the counterbalance shaft bearings going that long as they are pretty highly stressed.  The rest of the engine is about as simple as dirt.

I would be wary, however, of NON ChangFa brand engines that look siimilar.  I've read several stories of them being indeed 100 hr. engines.

Chris

oldnslow

• View Profile
I have a 1115GM Changfa from utterpower direct coupled to an ST10kw head. Run standby 50hours. When running at 1800rpm you get about 18HP or so out of it. It likes to run loaded to about 7.5KW (according to my clamp-on ammeter), no smoke, no hard laboring and it seems that's the long-term sweetspot for this setup. Its a serious machine, put it next to a store-brand of the same rated size or even 10-15KW and you see what I mean.
Ok, I understand my experience is just one engine and only 50hrs so for what its worth:
Ready to run out of the box, just add oil and water.
Starts easy. (I use electric start) but it has a decompression lever and crank too.
Western quality. well built. The brand does make a difference IMHO.
Does fine on a trailer, so it can be relocated quickly.
Noisy. It is a large single cylinder thumper. While well balanced and pretty smooth, it still makes a diesel tractor type noise. I think it's a normal sound for a diesel of that size, especially a single cylinder, but don't expect a lister type sound. I will build an enclosure (on the trailer)  when time permits, should take the noise down a notch. It also could use a radiator, low oil shutdown and governor adjustment; in other words some convenient refinements.
It runs my whole house, including 2ton central AC unit, no modifications to the engine or generator. I just used them right out of the crate (on purpose just to see how they did) the only thing that happened was a minor fuel leak and the generator bearings need to be repacked.
Solid, kick ass engine and generator for the money. So is the direct-couple from UP. My materials and two days labor built the unit. Another two days to modify a boat trailer and mount it on that. Great project.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

luismc

• View Profile
So far I have run my Chineses single for 236 hours without a problem .I have read about not Changfas engines not being very good ,but in my case it have run very good so far. I install a automatic compression release incase the oil pressure drops an a temperature alarm .Some times it  run from 6 to 8 hours a day

Luismc