Puppeteer

Author Topic: Propane tank with stuck valve  (Read 37548 times)

Johnm49

• View Profile
Propane tank with stuck valve
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:07:24 PM »
While on my travels around the area I came upon a 20 lb propane tank that looked in good shape at the curb for garbage pick up.  I stopped and took a look and it was in good shape and has product in it. What a catch!!  When I got it home and took it out of the car I realized the valve was fully open!javascript:void(0);
Shocked I shook it again and yes indeed it has propane in it.  I shut the valve and opened the valve, nothing.  I shut the valve and opened the valve, still nothing. Dose any one have an idea how to recover the propane, other than bringing the tank to 60 below zero and pouring off the liquid?

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: Propane tank with stuck valve
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:17:28 AM »
Does it have the triangular shaped valve handle or a round one?  If it is triangular the tank is equipped with an OPD device Overflow Prevention Device - and I've heard that these can sometimes get stuck in the closed position.

I have an adapter thing that came with my mosquito magnet that supposedly resets this condition by screwing it into the connection and a stub depresses something in there that releases the OPD.

I've never had to use it as I've never seen one in this condition but this may be of use.  A call to a gas supplier might yeild the tool or better yet the advice on how to easily unstick it.

Blows with a sledgehammer probably aren't the best idea

Robert

Johnm49

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »
Actually when I got the tank the handle was broken to pieces when the individual tried to open the already open valve with a wrench.

I"ll give the propane distributer a call and see if they have the tool. Thanks for the tip.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »
It may be simpler than that.  On all the new tanks the propane won`t flow until the regulator, etc., is inserted into the tank output orfice and pushed in a bit by the screw on retaining collar.  This opens a safety valve that prevents flow if a valve gets opened accidentally with nothing connected to the tank, as in transport.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:08:51 PM »
It may be simpler than that.  On all the new tanks the propane won`t flow until the regulator, etc., is inserted into the tank output orfice and pushed in a bit by the screw on retaining collar.  This opens a safety valve that prevents flow if a valve gets opened accidentally with nothing connected to the tank, as in transport.
Been there....
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »
I had a tank just like it  I found at a campsite.

The product came out just fine when I shot it.   :o
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Johnm49

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:14:35 AM »
I was really looking forward to emptying it with a bullet to the head with candles around but now I feel compelled to be responsible and use it over a more extended period of time.

Thanks for the input everyone.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 04:45:17 AM »
Hey John did you get it to work?.....While we are on the subject of propane tanks...I have 2 old style valve 10 gallon tanks. What is the best way to de gas them so one can drill and weld fittings on it for other uses? I have inert gas if needed....can they be cleaned well enough? 
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 05:04:51 AM »
Hey John did you get it to work?.....While we are on the subject of propane tanks...I have 2 old style valve 10 gallon tanks. What is the best way to de gas them so one can drill and weld fittings on it for other uses? I have inert gas if needed....can they be cleaned well enough? 

You can work on them with complete safety if you fill them with water.  After welding on fittings and punching whatever holes you can wash the oil out that is left behind by the propane and stinky odorant with gasoline.  Don`t smoke while you are doing this.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Johnm49

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 09:30:27 PM »
Sorry for the delay I’ve been mad busy for the past few days.
I have found a safe way to prep any tank is to unscrew the brass valve with it closed, then draw it out and fill the tank with water. This displaces the gas. Think safety when you are filling it with water, no open flames & out side in the breeze etc.  When you empty the water the tank will fill with  air and be safe to work on.
Been there, & done it many times.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 11:38:20 PM »
Hi I used a little soap in mine and had no odors when I dumped the water.
No flash when I used the cutting torch either.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time