Author Topic: Identify This lister (Pics)  (Read 13340 times)

JakeThePimp

• View Profile
Identify This lister (Pics)
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:31:23 PM »
A local gentleman is selling a Lister genset. Here is all the info I have.
1. Air Cooled
2. 3.5kw
3. Diesel
4. Mgfr Date is sometime in the 70's
5. Runs
6. Any Idea how much it's worth?

BTW, First post, been lurking alot thanks for the great site.

-JTP

Doug

Re: Identify This lister (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »
I think its a Lister LD1. Value hard to place....

I am starting to see or maybe notice these now....

Usualy 1 a week now in the back of truck coming from up north or heading there for water pumping and lighting in mining camps.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 09:42:28 PM »
I think its a Lister LD1. Value hard to place....

I am starting to see or maybe notice these now....

Usualy 1 a week now in the back of truck coming from up north or heading there for water pumping and lighting in mining camps.

Doug

More likely an LR1, as the LD1 hasn't the output for the rating specified. They are almost identical to look at, which makes identifying them apart a real pain!  Easiest way in the absence of the engine plate is to get the pump or injector numbers and I'll cross-reference them to CAV/Bryce.

In fact, the SR1 might be an option also, if that 3.5kW output is true:

LD1  3bhp @ 1800rpm
LR1  4bhp @ 1800rpm
SR1  6bhp @ 1800rpm

Peter

Doug

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:46:09 AM »
Peter the next time I see an LR1 or SL1 being used for the aplication I was talking about I'll try and snap some photo's of it. Most of them are bolted to an FMC Royal Bean pump, these are a 3 cylinder hi presure pump. The output shaft on these engies has an odd attachment that looks like a gear reduction. I'm not an expert on these engines but I'm told this reduction unit is a Lister part, and the only part that can't be purchased for these anymore....

diesels deep in the woods
Heat them with a tiger torch to thin the oil, a little heat to ensure the cups aren't frozen in the bean and little effort to start them. This is probably why they stayed in service so long, try that with a Honda or Kubota.....

Doug 

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 02:13:09 AM »
I'll have a look in the books for what accessories were supplied. We have parts books for most Lister engines here at home, the place is full of them! :-))

Peter

Doug

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 02:20:30 AM »
I could put you in touch with the Heath and Sherwood company. The have managed to keep their existing Listers running for decades inspite of lack of parts....

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 02:28:49 AM »
I could put you in touch with the Heath and Sherwood company. The have managed to keep their existing Listers running for decades inspite of lack of parts....

Doug

Thanks, but I have no immediate need, just curious more than anything...

Peter

Doug

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »
Just the same. I'll see if I can get pictures....

Friday I met three men moving suplies to a job site, one was Heath and Sherwood, one JKS Boyles and one from Boart Longyear all in the same tractor all working together. This is odd since generaly these three companies try and slit each others throats for buisness now they are working to gether to try and met demand lol.

Doug 

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:28:41 AM »
Not the best view, but from the manifolds I would suggest it is most likely an ST1. Those sell for $4,000 reconditioned here in Alaska. Regardless of the model, we stock all parts for these vintage machines in North America.

Gary
diesel-electric.us
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Doug

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 02:48:11 AM »
Thats an obscene amount of money for something you can buy here in northern Onatrio cheap.

They're starting to apear in the "bargin hunter" as the drilling companies upgrade to Kubota.

Doug

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:03:04 AM »
I agree about the "obscene price" comment but the single cylinder machines are in short supply and very high demand. A 2 cylinder machine sells for half the price of a single. at any rate we usually pay high dollars for any singles we can find, regardless of condition. Oil field equipment is an excellent place to look for old Listers that can be rebuilt. This is the core of our business model - supplying overhaul kits for the old Listers as well as "recycling" any we can find out of junkpiles and scrapyards.

Gary
diesel-electric.us

Doug

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 11:28:32 PM »
These old Listers and Petters are the back bone of mining exploration. Even with the mining boom on there's still 4 decades worth of machinery from Scoops to Drills locos and engines and pumps of all types that will never be returned to service.

Don't believe me?

Google Earth
46deg 26" 51.59 North
80ge 59" 59.17 West

Thats dead center if you zoom in on 40 odd Wagner ST6 and ST8, for sales by the pound enough to run say 5 or 6 mines. And this is just a bone yard a few Kms from my home in the burbs. Can't see a Lister from Orbit but I think this illistrates my point. I know where and what I am looking for on these photos so its easy for me to this is what I say it is you can't prove nothing from orbit.

$4000 for a Lister in Alaska perhaps, but it must be a very small market? 

Perhaps you should take a trip to Northern Ontario and do some shopping fill a few rail cars maybe.....

As for anyone looking to buy these engines check out the  "Bargin Hunter" online. Nuts to $4000 hell I'll even help with the export to the US if you find engines you want.

Doug

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 12:12:28 PM »
Yep, thats Alaska pricing for you. Remember that the price mentioned was for a fully remanufactured machine including generator head. Ours is a relatively small market but still a good one for us, lots of off-grid homesteads. Air-cooled Listers are the mainstay. Freight on heavy iron these days is a tough nut but if I knew where to fill any rail cars with the old Lister iron I would be all over it. I have looked into some Canadian oil-field junk in the past but had to decline based on their terms and the nature of their equipment.

Gary,
diesel-electric.us

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »
Looks like an old whore but I`d bet she`d work hard for her pimp if he treater her nice.  ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 11:23:38 PM »
Well Gary. I don't know much about buisness in your end of the woods but out east for that kind of money you can buy rebuilt Kubbota engines for things like 410 loaders, used 912 duetz out of locos if you want to build a big set. If smaller is what you have in mind then there are also a lot of welders, with Man and Duetz in twins for less rebuilt. I haven't even begun to talk about surplus Listers and Duetz I know of sitting in the old CPR depot out in Capereal.

Deals are where you find them, they don't come looking for you.

Doug