Author Topic: Changeover compression valve  (Read 63119 times)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Changeover compression valve
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 01:54:31 AM »
My engine has 2.25 main bearings at the ends and 2.125 center main bearing. I thought the original listers had 2" mains? So maybe a Listeroid is stronger in the crankshaft?
Or am I missing something?
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »
sixteenth of an inch of so is not going to make a lot of difference to a crankshaft, what I do know is every time I have ever seen a cracked crankshaft it has been caused by vibration, eg not the thing shaking on power strokes, but the thing shaking on bad mounts that do not adequately contain its movement excursions.

note that on genuine listers the CS valve was for starting AND light loads up to about 50% and high altitude, you only wound the valve out for extended duty at full load, and alternative fuels like a paraffin/kerosene oil mix etc.

note the CS valve is manual, so on the start-o-matic there is no automatic way to actuate it, so start-o-matic was only ever fitted with a 2.5 kw alternator, considerably below the engines maximum load rating, thus you just left the valve in.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

kyradawg

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:32:20 AM by kyradawg »

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »

the extra .125" on the listeroid crankshaft represents a 11.5% increase in tensile and shear strength.

assuming identical materials....
--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

kyradawg

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 04:52:20 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:31:04 AM by kyradawg »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2006, 05:17:21 AM »
I'm sure their metallurgist and painting engineer are from the same school.   >:(
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2006, 02:32:55 PM »
I'm sure their metallurgist and painting engineer are from the same school.   >:(

scrap iron is abundant and therefore cheap wherever you are, local conditions and economies prevail.

a litre of quality enamel paint is probably a weeks wages to the listeroid factory engine painter, who may well be 12 years old.
--

Doug

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 09:00:44 PM »
A look atthe map shows us that most of these engines are produced on India's west north of the ship braking yards. Fair bet that today's Listeroid is made from significant amounts of scrap steel and mixed indiginous Iron ore.

Note:
This isn't a bad thing if done right.

Doug

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »
 [size=14".....If done right....."pt][/size]

I had an old man with Parkinson's in the gun shop one time looking at a beat up old 1911 45 Automatic....when he held it out to aim it rattled like a trace chain.

He said,  "You might not belive this, but I can strike a kitchen match with one of these, if I hit it just right."
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2006, 12:57:58 AM »
I work with an old Scott like that....
He shakes, sweats and works in the sweltering heat unitl he's red and face.
Then he lights a smoke and tells you a story(usualy about how to work smarter not harder) and proves he still steady enough to do a young mans job.

Doug

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2006, 02:05:42 AM »
When I was just starting out as a non-degreed engineer (still in college) working for a flight simulator company (for the Air Force), one of my mentors on second shift was an older technician (Bob Greenland) who was one of the most  brilliant circuit designers I've ever known (including many with Masters and Phds in engineering). But when he held a hot soldering iron, the tip would be shaking so bad it was scarey. Somehow, at the last second, he could make it stop shaking, and do decent work, which always amazed me.  As he pulled off the hot joint it would immediately start whipping about madly.

If you had a design problem or a custom interface needed for a project, you could take Bob over to the NCO mess to talk it over and he'd have a preliminary circuit block diagram drawn up on a napkin for you an hour later, and completed circuit the next morning.  You'd have a working prototype a week or two later depending on how long it took to get parts.

There's a few creative thinkers and do'ers around here that I especially appreciate, too.

EVguru

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »
GuyFawkes made some comments about the compression valve and it's use on a S-o-M.

The manual is not clear on the use of the compression valve, mentioning it only in the case of an emergency hand start, where it says the valve should be screwed in. This implies that it should be on low compression for normal use. Since the starter system is capable of cranking the engine over several compressions, the high comp. setting should no be needed for starting.

He also said that since the alternator was only 2.5Kw, it did not constitute a high load for the engine.

2500 Watt, divided by 746 (Watt to hp) gives 3.35hp

Lets be reasonably generous for the alternator and give it an 80% efficiency

3.35hp divided by 0.8 gives 4.2hp

Twin V belt drive say 90%

4.2 divided by 0.9 gives 4.6hp

That's about right for a full generator loading on a nominal 6hp engine.

EVguru

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2006, 11:52:56 AM »
Looking further back up the thread;

The CS is indeed derived from a spark ignition engine, the Model 'L', which had a 1.75" crank.

The CS series upgraded to a 2" crank, with the exception of early 3/1 engines which kept the old 1.75" cranks.

These engines were designed well before value engineering and finite element analysis and were intended for a very long life.

With the original quality iron and castings, you could probably have got away with the smaller crank on the CS. Lister eventually dropped the compression valve on the 8/1, opting for a ratio inbetween. This is despite an increase in operating speed, but may in part gave been due to a general improvement in fuel quality.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »
Thanks for the straight scoop, EVguru. Marvelous posts and much appreciated.
Bruce

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
GuyFawkes made some comments about the compression valve and it's use on a S-o-M.

The manual is not clear on the use of the compression valve, mentioning it only in the case of an emergency hand start, where it says the valve should be screwed in. This implies that it should be on low compression for normal use. Since the starter system is capable of cranking the engine over several compressions, the high comp. setting should no be needed for starting.

When I said CS valve in for starting and up to 50% loads that wasn't an opinion, that was factory recommendation, YMMV, but over the years I've found it to be sound advice.

He also said that since the alternator was only 2.5Kw, it did not constitute a high load for the engine.

2500 Watt, divided by 746 (Watt to hp) gives 3.35hp

Lets be reasonably generous for the alternator and give it an 80% efficiency

3.35hp divided by 0.8 gives 4.2hp

Twin V belt drive say 90%

4.2 divided by 0.9 gives 4.6hp

That's about right for a full generator loading on a nominal 6hp engine.

you miss the point, the Lister 6/1 was rated at CONTINUOUS duty, "high load" in a continuous duty engine means >95% rated output on a 100% duty cycle, therefore by definition 4 hp is not a high load.

your closing comment about a "normal 6hp engine" says it all, the Lister CS 6/1 is anything but a normal 6hp engine.

Fuel quality has indeed increased somewhat since the war years, but the real advances that absolutely dwarf any fuel quality increases have been in lubrication oils (and automotive tyres as it happens) and these advances have been of orders of magnitude... you can go into an auto supply shop now and buy off the shelf lube oil that was simply inconceivable at any price 60 years ago.

Note that compression pressures don't (in theory) alter much when your raise working RPM of a motor from say 650 to 800, but, compression temperatures so, the faster you compress the gas the warmer it gets, so you adjust fuel and compression ratio to suit.

As for dropping the CS valve itself, hearsay testimony from the lister factory was that this was done for purely economic reasons, as it cut the cost of the head in half, so between a sixth and an eighth off the manufacturing cost of an complete engine.

-------------------------------

going back many years when the Bowdens of Plaidy were chairman of the Vincent owners club ( we're talking 150,000 miles before de-coking the head in machines that were used for european touring) and the vincent was an incredibly desireable machine, I ran into a chap doing a tour on a Brough Superior, we had a long chat about the merits of various things (I was running around on a 1975 FXE at the time) but the astonishing thing about the brough was the  mpg he was getting out of it, by dint of actually using those "primitive" mixture and advance controls on the handlebars as they were meant to be used, as he rolled from one country to the next and each tankful of fuel was a different grade, as the day warmed or the atmosphere dried out, or as he gained or lost altitude, he would adjust the engine while going along....

"automatic" ignition advance and lazy drivers did away with all that, just like points and coils did away with magnetos, but the new replacements were not superior, just "easier" and "good enough" and most of all "cheaper to make".

I haven't been anywhere near drag racing for decades, but when I was electronic ignition was anything but new as a technology, and yet despite the extra weight and power consumption of magnetos nobody used electronic.

Nobody who has ever held on to a magneto (K2F on a BSA A10 doing 40/50 mph when the left plug cap came off..... you think matey on here with the starting handle was a classic dumb mistake.... just as well there were no digital cameras back then) is ever going to convinced that electronic ignition is in any way superior to a magneto.

Similarly nobody who has used a CS in anger for any period of time will be convinced that fixed compression is in any way superior.

Variable compression KEEPS coming back, as fixed compression ratios are one of the fundamental technical flaws on the internal combustion engine, and you only have to look at the heath robinson nightmares that people like SAAB etc came up with (in an abortive effort where the requirement to have a design that is unique enough to be patentable outweights many more sane considerations) in the SVC motor, the russians are doing it, the japanese are doing it, everyone is doing it, but all their designs are hideously complex and therefore expensive, so the old Lister CS / Brough Superior approach beats them hands down every time.

You just have to learn it.
--