Puppeteer

Author Topic: propane and H2O + Lister type  (Read 7228 times)

albany dbd

• View Profile
Re: propane and H2O + Lister type
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 02:42:30 AM »
fuddyduddy   so how much propane are you running to keep from carboning up  do you run it all the time or just part time. i have a argon flow meter so i can regulate very well also i have a constant load on genny.   thanks.   derik
class 5 steam fitter - millwright - class 6 code pipe and pressure vessel welder - fabricator.  oh and good old country boy from the farm. 
( Beat it to fit paint to match ) oh and X-ray of course

fuddyduddy

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 03:10:31 AM »
Hello Derik,
At first I thought it would be a really  difficult thing to regulate the correct amount.

What you discover after the first 10 or 20 thousand miles (300-1000 hours?) is that it just takes a tiny bit of propane, and for a constant load, maybe once or twice a week you turn it on for a few hours.

The Chev 6.5 diesels have a high pressure regulator, and a needle valve, and an electrically operated solenoid,  so when the throttle is more than 1/4 or so down, a lever switch actuates the solenoid, which turns on the gas flow. At the far end is a "needle" on the inlet, drilled and tapped after the turbo, which provides for final regulation.  In other words, 25 thousandths only allows X flow at 25 PSI.  (only an example!)  A 5 gallon propane bottle usually lasts 500 miles or so when pulling the 5th wheel (21,000 pounds total with the P/U,  9-10 MPG or so without propane, 13-14 or so with.) properly adjusted, you don't even know it is on EXCEPT that it pulls hills about 1/2 gear higher, and instead of being in third gear up hills at 35, you go in fourth at 55 a lot of the time.

When pulling, I had the needle valve in the cab for adjustment for a year or so, but it is just not necessary. 

For a fixed load, slow-speed diesel, it is a lot simpler.

What fuel(s) are you using?

albany dbd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 03:38:29 PM »
hello   im burning used motor oil and tranny fluid   im not looking for more power just to help keep the motor cleaner and running smooth. im putting a very small amount in now all the time  maybe close to what a propane fridge uses in an rv i dont know it that is to little to do anything or not. my oil is free so it doesnt make sence to worry about getting better economy   just to keep the carbon down.   so does it do better to give a very small amount all the time or a larger amount for a couple hours a once or twice aweek   also im runnning 24-7 
class 5 steam fitter - millwright - class 6 code pipe and pressure vessel welder - fabricator.  oh and good old country boy from the farm. 
( Beat it to fit paint to match ) oh and X-ray of course