Puppeteer

Author Topic: what makes a stationary engine "stationary"?  (Read 9409 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
what makes a stationary engine "stationary"?
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:52:02 AM »
with all the bruha over mounting issues of our beloved lister/oid i would like to pose the following questions

1. what makes a stationary engine "stationary" other than it sits in one place?

2. what characteristics does a stationary engine have that a non stationary engine does not have?
    (given similar size, power, and cylinder count)

3. what considerations in design are to be made when designing an engine to be stationary rather than non
    stationary?

4. do all stationary engines have to be rigidly mounted? if so why?

5. what are the primary reasons to rigidly mount a stationary engine?

6. are there examples of stationary engines that are resilient mounted?

7. what make lister engines different than other stationary engines of similar size, hp, and cyl count?
    (as it relates to mounting)

i would be very interested in folks answers to these questions, most especially #7

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: what makes a stationary engine "stationary"?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »
Hi Given the year of design

1. Nothing
2. Weight is inconsequential in a "Stationary" engine
3. See 2.
4. Weight and viberation.
5. The mount has to stand the weight, viberation, tourque, and be reliable
6. Look at marine engines of the day.
7. nothing

There has definately been an improvement in the understanding of engines and material strength and engineering since these engines were designed.
When weight was a consideration engines could and were designed light weight = aviation. Ofcourse the costs went sky high too!
Remember Lister and others were designing to cost limits as well.
If they didn't make a profit they went out of business!
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 03:34:01 PM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:52:36 PM »
  Just from my observations here---

1)  The cooling fans run backwards.
2)  I've always *thought* a stationary engine was designed for one RPM/torque range, only.
3)  Weight doesn't matter and you don't have to worry about bugs in the radiator.
4)  I would think an internally balanced, modern engine could be mounted anyway you liked.
5)  Any motion not directed towards the benificial work being done is wasted.
6)  I've got two Onan 30Kw diesels sitting on timber ricks and steel subframes with resilient mounts.
7)  The mounting footprint is extremely small and removed from the energetic mass.

" Portability" is very valuable in today's society.  Look at the lengths people here go to to make a 'stationary' engine moveable.  I did it too.   ;)

But I learned better.

Today's engines are made to mount on a trailer or be set on a floor or bolted to a skid.  The CS wasn't, in my OPINION.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:12:30 PM »
Hi you may not think this applies to  this discussion, but look at the base. It actually bears a striking likeness to the lister base. No resiliant mounts but is definately mobile.
Dennis

http://carferries.com/skinner/

here is a Gardner engine
http://www.gardner-enthusiast.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,33/?g2_itemId=572
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 04:23:18 PM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »

1.  Engine shipped without base to save transport expenses and base costs, base to be added to system by customer.

2. No base, engine is not rigid enough as shipped to work at rated load. See no. 1 above.

3. Can be made much cheaper, see 1 and 2 above.

4. Yes. The fewer the cylinders, the more so.  Cast shrugs off compression loads, but hates flex.  Flex results in cracks,
      and then pieces flying off.

5. As manufactured, a stationary engine in general is incomplete. Only after mounting to a base is it ready to work.

6. Yes.  Of the ones that I am well aquainted with, (the Witte engine series) look at the log sawyer.  Same engine
      with a slanted hopper to be run on the supplied rails. 

7. Many of the early engines of the one and two cylinder versions followed the steam practice of horizontal cylinders,
     the Lister was a vertical. This tended to turn the thumper from a walker, to a hopper.  Balance became even more important.
     The footprint of a vertical is smaller, making the problem more so. A wider and longer footprint is  more forgiving, and the lower
     center of rotating mass is easier to work with.  Still balance was and is the starting point. So long as the parts are aligned
     properly and well balanced, the old engine designs were made to run for decades. 

Once balanced and mounted to a rigid base, you can follow up with any sub base you please. I have seen a base that rested on four layers of old truck tire bolted together with a 1 1/8" bolt imbedded in the middle, surrounded by 1/2 of a coil spring from an old car.  This was then protected from overtravel with a cee shaped piece of 1 1/2" steel lined with more thick rubber, two in each corner, facing in.  The whole thing thumped once at startup and sometimes twice at shutdown, otherwise it ran without any vibration you could feel being passed to the floor.  The mounting bolts were torqued down to provide the correct balance between spring and rubber tension.  This system worked that I know of for 18 years, under a 25 hp Witte single running a 12 k generator head. How this relates to a vertical I don't know, but I'll bet the same could be done after a rigid base is added.   

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 08:56:32 PM »
This is a very rough and ready answer, it misses a lot of the finer but important points, but it does answer the question.

with all the bruha over mounting issues of our beloved lister/oid i would like to pose the following questions

Enviornment more than anything else, eg always level, no change in altitude or change in climate more rapid than seasonal, not subject to any kind of acceleration, designed differently so maintenance is different, light weight not a design criteria, and of course medium or slow speed (lister at 650 is a medium speed engine)

2. what characteristics does a stationary engine have that a non stationary engine does not have?

What characteristics does a weight lifter have that a marathon runner does not? they both have 2 arms and legs etc.

Big one is stationary engines are always about generating torque.

Different lube, fuelling and thermal rejection systems, no constraint on flywheel diameter because gyroscopic precession is never an issue, etc etc etc.

3. what considerations in design are to be made when designing an engine to be stationary rather than non
    stationary?

Everything is different to a degree, everything rotating or reciprocating needs to be light, because of precessive torque when the non stationary engine moves, you need different sump designs, different cooling strategies, literally everything is different.

Like the difference between a marine engine and a marinised engine, huge. Devil is in the details.

To draw the centre of mass below the crank radius, and ideally below the crank case.
It's all about fatigue.

Stationary engine are invariably far more expensive by themselves than all other forms, and invariably form part of systems that are vastly expensive and usually critical uptime or serviceability or standby status, that shit has to work on the button for as long as required.

No chain or belt drives for camshafts or injection pumps for example, always pinion driven for maximum durability.

Reliability and longevity.

There may be (with resilient defined the way it is in this forum, eg like a car or truck engine) but I have never seen or heard of one that was profesionally done, ever.

7. what make lister engines different than other stationary engines of similar size, hp, and cyl count?

Nothing, how many other stationary engines of similar size hp and cylinder can you name?

Kubota, bzzzt, not stationary.

Off the top of my head I can think of Gardner 2lw, cos I used to work on them too, some deutz, some cats, those swedish ones I can never remember the name of and a few obscure small production run english makes.

They really aren't that common in the 300lb per bhp diesel less than 20 bhp and less than 3 cylinder flavours.

Lister made other diesel engines at the same time as the CS series that were not stationary, the clue is there.

i would be very interested in folks answers to these questions, most especially #7

bob g

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Doug

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:01:40 AM »
Its stationary if you can't find a practical way to move it lol.

Simpler a machine that is not intended to be most while performing its function and mounted on a foundation.
That could be any engine properly constructed and mounted.

Doug

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:49:18 AM »
Never thought I'd dare post on this subject but...

Where do tractors fit into this? Many of the oldies, singles and twins, had big flywheels and were in effect mobile versions of stationary engines. I'm pretty sure Lanz had a stationary version of their motor, Mcdonald (Macdonald?) in Oz did, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stationary "Johnny Popper" (just a guess, why miss out on a market?). I'm amazed no-one ever put a Lister in a Garden Tractor. I'm sure there's a CS in a small roller (Tennis court?)somewhere on the web.
All up I think the distinction between "Stationary" and "Portable" is a bit blurry.

Cheers,

Brian

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 05:11:07 AM »
Has anyone ever seen the lister made bolwing greens & cricket rollers to smooth out the playing field...they are quite the design..and some bowling greens in England still use them. From what I understand they only went forward...and only the rare exception was designed to go in reverse...but they did use the CS 6/1 for a power plant and were on rollers rather than wheels...but certainly not stationary . binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »
There was a cricket pitch roller on ebay last year with a 5-1 set crossways in it.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »
Can anyone identify this further?

From the state library of Victoria , date of image 1956.:

Caption: "Includes Lister portable outdoor generator and company trucks outside building."

It looks like a radiator-cooled lister single/twin on a trailer.

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 07:05:48 AM »
I will start of with a little bit about my experience on the subject, the engines that I help build put out 700-3000 hp and come in 8-20 cylinders.  They are installed in LARGE vehicles such as mining trucks, dozers, loaders, ships, factories, oil shale fracturing rigs, and better than 2/3rds are stationary used in electric power generation, natural gas compression, and other factory type installations.

99 percent of the time they run for extended time periods, more constant loads, and constant speed.

Ours share the same basic engine but oil pans are different because of space on a vehicle, flywheel and housings are standard size on   a stationary engine and matched to the application on other classes of engines.  The tubochargers are sized for constant power instead of peak power.  The stationary engines are mounted by their oil pans instead of mounts to the block/flywheel housing. 

Oil sump and how its mounted is about it.

Yes and No, traditionally they have been mounted to a solid base(normally concrete) but our company has made units that can be place on solid level ground.  They do however need to be solidly mounted to what it is driving and there cant be and misalignment due to the mass.  So if they are not bedded down they are mounted on a very stiff box section frame that has resiliant pucks underneath. 

I think most are off base here.  Most stationary engines are big and heavy and drive attachments that are big and heavy. A 14 foot block that weighs 7 ton will sag 1/2 and inch in not supported evenly across its lenghth.  Even when bolted solidly to a generator, the gen set needs a set of rails sufficient stiff enough to resist the mass of the package from sagging or moving out of alignment and belive me it will.  Almost all stationary set ups and most large marine set ups use very heavy c channel rails or L rails for the marine setups.  These have very heavy cross braces bolted up to strengthen them yet they still have to be put on a solid no moving base and realigned.  Only a very heavy box section frames welded together are stiff enough to be placed on resilient pads.

Yes, see above

The vast majority of stationary engines are coupled directly to the driven load(such as a gen bolted to the flywheel bell housing)  where the lister is coupled with a belt.

bob g