Puppeteer

Author Topic: Obtaining listeroid 6/1?  (Read 6713 times)

codesuidae

• View Profile
Obtaining listeroid 6/1?
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »
Howdy all,

I'm a bit of a newbie here, so apologies for the simple question and frustration.

I'm trying to find someone to sell me a 6/1 listeroid some in the next couple of months, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to sell them.  I emailed a couple of guys from the marketplace forum who advertised them and someone I was referred to by a reputable source, and no one replies to my requests for information (except the ones who aren't selling the engines anymore because of EPA regs).

Is listeroid ownership a of private club where I have to pretend to know what I'm doing before anybody will sell me one? Bad form to look like a newbie while trying to buy one? Magic words one has to invoke when requesting a quote?

Granted, I'm not standing here with cash in hand ready to buy, but I'm at least hoping someone who sells the engines (or 'spare parts wink wink nudge nudge') might at least give me a ballpark price and tell me if I need to make any special provisions for getting the thing off the truck and into the garage when it arrives. I like to prepare and know what I'm getting into before I drop a substantial amount of cash on something, so the silence is frustrating.

Is it common to have difficulty finding someone who sells these things? Have the EPA regs killed the domestic listeroid market already?

Thanks for any advice.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining listeroid 6/1?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:53:20 PM »
It appears Biobill has units to sell in NY.  I know Johnf has units for sale.

You might help yourself out by saying where you are, and someone close by might contact you.

[SECRET]
"The secret handshake involves using your left hand while the right hand makes fish tale motions above your head."
[/SECRET]

:D
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
Well there are many reasons why there are not many engines for sale. The first of which is that it is a pain to import them. Then there is the fact that they have become very expensive. Also, some people (myself included) who imported engines have some quality issues to work out. These things take time. I was all set to place a large order and I was shocked to find that the engine prices have tripled from my exporter. Not acceptable in my book. Especially when Yanmar, mitsubishi, Briggs and Stratton and other major manufacturers sell for similar prices per HP.

There is a guy on Ebay who sells engines all the time. Check there often.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:14:34 PM »
Where are you located?  Someone can likely make a recommendation if you give us that.  Shipping is pricey, so ideally you'll buy from someone nearby.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 12:00:34 AM »
Cujet is right about cost.

I had ideas of also brining in a conatiner load as well but the price of scrap Iron has gone threw the roof and so has pig iron and coking/metalergical coal. These machines have so much metal in them there is no way you can avoid the sticker shock.

We've also demanded better parts and machining on a low volume product. Its obvious that the engines are getting better so I guess we shouldn't be suprised that an engine that would cost ten times as much to build here to fully western specifications starts to get expensive when it improves.

Oil for the ship doesn't come cheap....

Doug

codesuidae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »
D'oh, sorry, I'm near Omaha, NE, 68022.

I've just started looking at the listeroids over the last month or so, and the prices I've been seeing for a 6/1 is about $1500, then up to about $250 for shipping.  Is this the old, cheap price, or the new higher price?

Doesn't seem unreasonable for something that'll last for many years and run on vegetable oil, which is what I plan to do with it.

Thanks!

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 08:16:30 AM »
When I decided to buy my 6/1 I also had a hard time.  My first choice dealer ran out of engines, then another one rubbed me the wrong way.  I can't honestly recommend a particular dealer to you.  Once they sell off a container of engines they sometimes get less responsive.  If you want to buy something for a lifetime, don't sweat a few weeks.

One thing to consider is GM-90 vs. Listeroid.  The GM-90 is direct injection and has an alloy piston and a different lube system.  Some folks like it and some don't.  The vanilla LIsteroid is indirect injection and uses splash lubrication or sometimes forced.  The GM-90 uses less fuel.  Some think it's worse for burning heavy oils, some think it's better.  Mike Montieth/Listeroidsusa out of NC is the only dealer I know who sells the GM-90.  There are fewer places to get parts here in the states for the GM-90.  I believe Mike is getting some engines in very soon.  I don't know of any failures of the GM-90, or sand, but this is out of a small sample.

GeorgeB out of WA utterpower.com is a well-known dealer.  He has apparently quit selling assembled engines, but a couple of folks on this forum have gotten kits on a sort of preview basis.  These may or may not be available for sale, you'd have to email George and ask him.

There's a fellow out of Maine, Sam Crosby, who usually has a Metro Listeroid for sale on Ebay.  His username is 'lobstamang' I believe.

There are a few other folks who sell engines from time to time on Ebay.  I think two are in Wisconsin; one sells a brand Field Marshall which I've heard anecdotally is good.

Good luck!

Spark_Chaser

• View Profile
    • Web Page
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »
1. Mike Montieth has EPA approval for his GM90's.  He is taking orders.  They cost about the same as the Utterpower kit engines.  No future EPA issues and Mike has an impeccable reputation

2. Go North to Canada.
There are a few Canadians importing these engines.
You might want to disassemble it before crossing back into the USA and represent it as a "An Old Used Farm Engine I bought of a Farmer".  A hand receipt to back up your purchase might help also.  I've made several Alaska to USA (Lower 48) trips and back pulling U-hauls and new trailers.  Never been searched but had nothing to hide either.

3. The kit is interesting however assembling and running it may run you astray of current EPA regs.  Of course the FEDs do have to catch you and they certianly wouldn't pressure the "Kit distributors" for a customer list.

Good luck. 
Looking forward to my listeroid due soon
Spark_Chaser
6/1 GM90 disassembled and in work

past
5KW ST sold
Northern Lights 7KW sold

progunone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 06:10:48 PM »

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 01:46:50 AM »
   The guy in TX neither answers emails , or returns phone calls

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 02:21:35 AM »
Give Eric at www.rockymountainpowersource.com a call. He has all sorts of engines in stock, but hasn't updated his website.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

RMPS

• ERIC LYONS
  • Biodiesel 14 HP Engine
    • View Profile
    • Rocky Mountain Power Source
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 07:52:24 PM »
Howdy all,

I'm a bit of a newbie here, so apologies for the simple question and frustration.

I'm trying to find someone to sell me a 6/1 listeroid some in the next couple of months, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to sell them. I emailed a couple of guys from the marketplace forum who advertised them and someone I was referred to by a reputable source, and no one replies to my requests for information (except the ones who aren't selling the engines anymore because of EPA regs).

Is listeroid ownership a of private club where I have to pretend to know what I'm doing before anybody will sell me one? Bad form to look like a newbie while trying to buy one? Magic words one has to invoke when requesting a quote?

Granted, I'm not standing here with cash in hand ready to buy, but I'm at least hoping someone who sells the engines (or 'spare parts wink wink nudge nudge') might at least give me a ballpark price and tell me if I need to make any special provisions for getting the thing off the truck and into the garage when it arrives. I like to prepare and know what I'm getting into before I drop a substantial amount of cash on something, so the silence is frustrating.

Is it common to have difficulty finding someone who sells these things? Have the EPA regs killed the domestic listeroid market already?

Thanks for any advice.

RMPS UPDATED TODAY: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2006www.rockymountainpowersource.com

LISTER MARKET PLACE AD

Call ERIC LYONS  (970) 379-6930 MST (Daytime M-F) or email, via link posted @ RMPS for most current up to date information + other stuff not YET posted on the site.
Engines Currently Available
Singles: 6, 10, 14 HP Crank Start & 10 HP Electric Start Units
Twins: 12hp Crank Start & 20hp Electric Start Units

(Currently putting a NEW order together)

Posted by: ROBYN[/font]
[/size]