Puppeteer

Author Topic: Container shipping from Great Brittain  (Read 11417 times)

listeroidsusa

Container shipping from Great Brittain
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »
I am considering contracting a 20' container from GB to Charlotte, NC.  I could have the container delivered to my warehouse and we could unload the contents  into my warehouse until further shipping arrangements are made. Would anyone be interested in this? I know several other folks have engines and parts in GB that need delivery to the US. If anyone is interested I can give US shipping quotes. I have a deal with a large trucking company for discount pallet shipping. The rate is good for a 48 x 48 pallet weighing up to 2200 lbs and not over 52" tall. Some samples rates from NC are:

WA $262
NC $50
AZ 325
MD $90
OK $125
PA $85

If I ship 5 or more pallets at a time I can get an additional discount of $20-50 per pallet

Mike Montieth
Listeroids/USA

rjcroc

• View Profile
Re: Container shipping from Great Brittain
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »

Mike,

Where in GB are you shipping from? What is the timeframe, might try to find another real Lister.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

listeroidsusa

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »
I'm looking at shipping from Birmingham

Mike

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:05:21 AM »
I am interested.  Do you have a contact in the United Kingdom that is willing to arrange things on that end?  If so, do you have the details of the fees?  Thanks

listeroidsusa

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 03:25:10 AM »
I arranged pickup and delivery on my end. The total fees so far for residential pickup, delivery to the dock, stuffing container, ocean freight, and delivery to a Charlotte bonded warehouse for (2) 1100 lb crates is $785. Full container shipping would be about half that amount but its not too bad as it is.

Mike

listeroidsusa

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 05:04:30 AM »
A container would be the way to go. I just got a quote for $275 to crate my engines. With a container minimal crating would be needed which would save us a bunch of money. The problem with crating is that just anyone can't build a crate anymore. The crate can't have any natural wood, it must be manufactured such as oriented strand board or plywood due to pest regulations, it also has to be heat treated, fumigated, certified, and stamped for conformity for admission to the US. I ran into this on my last shipment. It seems some nasty breeds of termites were finding their way into the US.

Perhaps just bolting the engines to a piece of channel iron would be cheaper. In a dedicated container all you need is a way to prevent the engines from turning over.

Mike

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 11:50:59 AM »
I shpped my SOM without a container, just placed on a pallette.

Without that base you are going to need to have it crated to stop them tipping over.

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

listeroidsusa

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:03:50 PM »
My engines are ready for shipment so I'm going to go the LCL route due to lack of interest in the container idea. FCL would have been cheaper and easier if I had enough people to make it work but given the situation I'll just ship my own.

Mike

listerdiesel

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:02:22 PM »
A container would be the way to go. I just got a quote for $275 to crate my engines. With a container minimal crating would be needed which would save us a bunch of money. The problem with crating is that just anyone can't build a crate anymore. The crate can't have any natural wood, it must be manufactured such as oriented strand board or plywood due to pest regulations, it also has to be heat treated, fumigated, certified, and stamped for conformity for admission to the US. I ran into this on my last shipment. It seems some nasty breeds of termites were finding their way into the US.

Perhaps just bolting the engines to a piece of channel iron would be cheaper. In a dedicated container all you need is a way to prevent the engines from turning over.

Mike

Somewhat jetlagged after a 4.30am rise and now in SFO after a smooth flight, my watch says 11pm UK time but locally it's 2pm PDT if my timing is correct.

We bought some four-poster steel stillages for £7.00 from a farm and had them modified to suit various items.

The pallet restrictions are a pain but I can see why they were introduced by the USA.

Peter

1966Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:15:02 AM »
Just my luck. I just find this topic and the offer has been recended. Mike, I am in Raleigh and would love to check out your operation next time I visit my mamma in Charlotte.

I would love to have an origional CS 6/1 but have an eye on your new 4/1 as well. I especially like the price since it is what I can afford.

Jon

Earl Beverly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 04:03:36 PM »
Hi Mike,
I would also like to hook up with an original lister and a container from Great B. would be the way to go. Don't give up the idea. I would buy and ship 4 to 6 palet/engines. I don't think it would be too hard to fill a container. I would do this to the port of Houston if I knew how and had the contacts.
Earl

WyoCat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 09:42:48 PM »
I would really like to get on board with this.  The problem that I have is no contact to find an engine over there.  I am still a little confused with what the different numbers mean.  What is the difference between a SOM, Metro, Petter, 6/1, etc.  The engine that I want is a veticle slow RPM single cylinder diesel.  It looks very old school with two large(24") spoked flywheels and it has external push rods.  From what I have been able to learn is that it is not worth the money to get a knock off of the original.  Does anyone want to take the time to help a newbie learn some of this stuff?  The next time someone wants to start a container, let me know and I will join.  Hope to hear from someone soon.

Chad Enyeart
Laramie, WY.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 12:07:05 AM »
Chad you need to do a lot of research before you jump into this. Lister and Petter are the names of two distinct types of engines. The Lister is a larger slower speed engine the Petter is smaller and faster. They share no parts....

Brand names like Metro or JKson are clones of these engine types.

A 6/1 is a six hp 1 cylinder

A 25/2 is a 25 hp twin...

Good luck and read the thread " Brand Round up "

Doug

WyoCat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »
Doug,
  Thanks for the info and advice.  I definetly want a Lister CS.  Either a 6/1 or a 8/1.  I know that this is a tough questions, but what could someone expect to pay for an original, either here in the US or have one brought over?  Thanks again for your help.

Chad

Stan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 07:34:13 PM »
Hi Chad, welcome to the wonderful world of slow speed engines.  I don't know anything about finding a genuine lister in England and having it shipped over but there certainly are people on this site who are very knowlegeabe about that having done it themselves.  I do however know something about finding one over here, as I have done it.  Lister shipped many thousands of these engines all over the world, and not just to Australia or the middle East.  I'd be willing to bet you a beer that there is one sitting in someone's barn or back shed within 200 miles of you just waiting to be found.  I spent 2 years talking to everyone I met about them, I even had a picture in my wallet in case someone was interested enough to ask what they looked like.  About a month ago a guy I was talking to said "sure, I've got one out in the back"  When I asked him why he didn't tell me before he said you didn't ask. (I've known him for years).  I now own a 6/1 heavy with original radiator and gas tank.
Put a want ad in one of the nearby small farming town's newspaper for an old (don't say antique or the price skyrockets) twin flywheel diesel engine.  The only ones that fits that description and is anywhere near available are  Listers, Fairbanks model Y, and Wittes.  Any one of those would be a fine engine to have.
Good luck
Stan
ps...I just got a phone call from a guy about 2hrs up the road that says he has a Lister and what he thinks is a Petter AV2 for sale.  I'm going to look at them later this week.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:23:48 PM by Stan »