Author Topic: Bicycle Tachometer on 6-1?  (Read 4657 times)

kenr7101

• View Profile
Bicycle Tachometer on 6-1?
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:18:10 PM »
Just came from the bike shop and they have a very clean looking electronic tach/speedometer.  It has two pick ups one for RPM the other for MPH.  Uses a small round magnet about the size of the balance holes in my flywheels, has someone already done this? would this small magnet effect balance much?  Would make a very clean set up.

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Bicycle Tachometer on 6-1?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:30:13 PM »
Just came from the bike shop and they have a very clean looking electronic tach/speedometer.  It has two pick ups one for RPM the other for MPH.  Uses a small round magnet about the size of the balance holes in my flywheels, has someone already done this? would this small magnet effect balance much?  Would make a very clean set up.
I don't think the weight would be noticed........Bike....or.... Bicycle? must be Bike with a tach.....
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:50:12 PM »
Actually, it's a bicycle cyclometer.  The wheel pickup reads in kph or mph and is diameter adjustable (usually infinitely so) to get a correct reading with any tire and wheel.  The second pickup reads directly in RPM and displays crank cadence.

Cateye is one popular brand.  The current hot ticket is a cyclometer that does these usual things and also has a torque sensor in the rear hub.  There's enough brains in the cyclometer to do the math against wheel RPM and get instantaneous power output in Watts.  There's also recording functions, of course.  Very convenient for training purposes.

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:13:29 AM »
Here is something made for the purpose, they work very well and have an hour meter and service meter on them as well

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/diesel.php

Probably not that much more expensive either

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »
That`s a pretty good idea.  I see excersise bycycles and other exercise machines every once in a while at the dump and have stolen a few of the digital displays which I recall sometimes had a pickup (probably magnetic Hall Effect sensor).  I will have to go see if I got any with a sensor.  Might be of some use.

For rev counting now I just apply math to what my AC frequency meter reads on my gensets since I know the drive ratio relationship (1 to 1 with 4-pole head)  60 Hz = 1800 RPM.  40 Hz = 1200 RPM, 30 Hz = 900 RPM, etc.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion