Author Topic: Automotive Alternators as Generator Heads?  (Read 14647 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Automotive Alternators as Generator Heads?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »
yes i have hotrodded a good many truck alternators
i have also rewound a good many stators for higher output

so things to keep in mind

yes you can get 24, 48, .... 120 volts from an alternator by adding more current to the rotor, and turning it faster.

24 and 48 volts will probably be ok, going over that and you risk damageing the rectifier bridge if it does not have a PIV sufficiently high enough

running a 12v/100amp alternator at 24v/100 amp will require twice the input power, and at 48/100 amps 4 times the power of course
this input power will require a different drive usually to keep from sending the belts to the sky in smoke. also a purpose built regulator will have to be worked out
and attention to cooling will be of significant importance.

one of my experimental alternators is a leece neville 2500jb, which originallly was a 80-90amp alternator 12voilt
i rewound the stator to see what i could get it to output at 600 rpm, i got it to 120volts ac at 600rpm, with a wire limited 6amps ampacity
at 600 it produces 60 hz power.
at 1200 it produce 240 volts ac at 120 hz, and yes at 2400 it will produce 480volts which is scarey

while their is alot that can be done with an automotive alternator, their physical size is the main objection  for me.
the st head is much easier to rewind to get whatever voltage i might need, and they provide an interesting experimental core to work with.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Automotive Alternators as Generator Heads?
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 10:25:32 PM »
What a great site. 

Is there a Solar site like this one?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245