Author Topic: Transfer switch rant  (Read 52171 times)

Doug

Re: Transfer switch rant
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 12:10:23 AM »
Those Square D trnafer switches muct be avaiable at a better price than $1000 in Canada...

I'll call around and see if I know of any deals from bigger Schnieder electric distributors...

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »
anyone using 3 phase reversing contactor sets to do the job of the one arm bandits?
they are 3 pole, and both electrically and mechanically interlocked, so both cannot be engaged at the same time
they go pretty cheap used on ebay.

i am going that route, but i don't have to fit code, not sure if they would qualify under code requirments

might be an option for some folks tho

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 02:36:48 AM »
Procrustes: Looking forward to your update on inspection/arrival/use.

The switch arrived.  As I said before, I'm hardly the one to judge it but I'll tell you what I've noticed so far.  The switch activates a horizontal sliding mechanism.  It's very simple and sturdy.

The switch is a bit smaller than I anticipated.  Here it is with a zucchini for comparison:

Actually no, the transfer switch, like the zucchini, is giant.  It's 20x38":

What else can I tell you about it?

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 07:00:24 AM »
Ok, I'm a little perplexed by the zucchini comparison. 

"Hmm, I've this box here... what can I compare it against... hmmm.. aha! A zucchini! ... no, wait... a GIANT zucchini!"

Is this part of the standard layman's set of measurements, like Volkswagens, football fields and libraries of congress?

:D

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 07:47:11 AM »
Guy,

I agree, that was a bit strange.  I'm at a loss for words.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
The zucchini can also be used as a horizontal sliding mechanism.  ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 04:04:40 PM »
and if things go wrong the cooked succhini can be eaten :p
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 03:50:47 AM »
  Auto transfer switches are an option. Some have smart enough controls to allow your generator to grid tie and run your meter backwards. Should the grid go down the transfer switch will still keep your lights on without back feeding into some poor smuck of a linesman.

slowspeed1953

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »
Wow :o, Nice zucchini!

Peace&Love :D, Darren

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 10:58:42 PM »
http://www.saskpower.com/pubs/pdf/safety/portablegenerators.pdf

As good an explanation as any if it's the site I think it is. My computer just opens up a few sites into a blank white screen after I "improved" the computer with protection software. 

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 01:33:45 PM »
Buick:

It is a PDF and it is quite good. If you back up the path to /safety/ you may be able to see the files and just download it.

They show a 3-pole set-up where the neutral is switched (or so it seems to me in the diagrams).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:58:11 AM by Rainbow-Farm »
Do not trust the "grid" folks!

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 03:28:20 AM »
Well, I started calling local electricians who surely know local code and the practical aspects of a transfer switch.

I have only reached one of the local electricians, and he wants to put in the type of switch that requires pre-selecting circuits. I do not want to do that. I want to transfer the entry, in full. He thinks $300 is expensive for the box with xx circuits... I told him the box I was looking at was $1,200, so that he would know that I understood that... yep, moving 200 amps is moving 200 amps... big stuff.

He did not say I was an asshole lunatic, but he wanted to. The only reason he did not is this a small town and I was referred by a mutual friend. I had looked around hydroquebec.com and did find the pages about don't stand in a bucket of water with your finger in a socket. This is about as advanced as it gets here. I did refer Mr. Electrician to the Saskatchewan document which contains a clear schematic for a safe whole-system transfer. His reply: we are in Quebec!

You got that right. The backwaters of Quebec.

He said that Hydro Quebec (after people did all kinds of stupid stuff with generators in 1998, The Ice Storm) wants people to submit plans for their generator hook-up, for their approval. He says the electricians do not do that. They just do a safe installation, but he has never heard of a whole-box transfer and is not interested in learning and is not interested in having a peon non-electrician know anything he does not know.

Leaving Quebec, via Internet or motor vehicle, you learn a lot about "other places". Quebec is infamously xenophobic, and I hate experiences like talking to this electrician... so I bought a stove plug and some heavy cable. Frig them all!!!

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 03:44:34 AM »
If you are going to backfeed your system using your stove receptical with the main off...please find some means to lock the main off...
Usually there is a small tab on most panels a small lock will fit ....
I wonder if it would be easily possable to put a lock on the engine for it too run...and have both keys on only one keyring..
Thanks
Tug
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:52:44 AM by Tugger »

Rainbow-Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 04:10:17 AM »
Tugger, for the switch, I will find a way to disconnect from the utility, and there are no children here. There are no stupid people here. There is no one here who wants to go anywhere near a big thing that looks electrical.

The utility/grid will be disconnected. I just want it all to be safe. Legal is secondary.

I have been poring over that SaskPower diagram... now I need to go look up my notes from Coleman about floating neutral and neutral bonded to generator frame.

They say that is what determines 2-pole or 3-pole transfer switch, and it seems that each province has their own set-up vis-a-vis the neutral during a power failure. If I can find a 200-amp 3-pole transfer switch, then I figure all bases are covered: all connections are broken and sent to generator.

Does anyone know whether the ST head is "bound to frame" or "floating neutral"?

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 04:18:49 AM »
As an electrician i put the $2.50 lock on the main to stop the smart people too...
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 04:21:12 AM by Tugger »