Author Topic: concrete vs resilient mounting  (Read 57052 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: concrete vs resilient mounting
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2006, 05:38:20 AM »
pro:

one question from me

"what proof do you have that lister engineers even tried resilient mounts?  or even discussed the possibility of useing them?"

ok i guess that was two questions

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2006, 06:10:48 AM »
Procrustes

I will assume you are an intellectually honest person, as such I ask you the following question:

What proof do you require to acknowledge that it is possible to mount a Lister type engine to something other than a cubic yard of concrete? 

Best regards
Scott

Of course it's possible, never denied it.  I may do so myself.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2006, 06:11:48 AM »
pro:

one question from me

"what proof do you have that lister engineers even tried resilient mounts?  or even discussed the possibility of useing them?"

ok i guess that was two questions

bob g

That's silly to me, Bob.  They'd be incompetent if that were true.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2006, 06:28:29 AM »
pro:

slippery aren't we?

that was a double question, not a statement

1. what do you find silly about the question, perhaps i can clarify or simplify it?

2. how would they be incompetent? what kind of answer is that to a question

did you not understand the question?

let me try again

have you any documentation that you could direct me to that makes any mention at all of either
them trying to use resilient mounts, or
even discussed their use?

even one sentence? one faded picture?

hell i would take a statement from one of the engineers gardeners, having overheard some mention of, from the paperboy's girlfriends, uncle twice removed  :)

jeesh how much simpler can i make it,,,

somebody show me something that states they even considered the use of resilient mounts... anyone?

any mention at all, for or against their use? anything?

and you are asking me to conclude that they cannot be used! because there is no mention anywhere one way or the other.

please,,,, be serious

who is calling who an idiot?

you must think me a fool to accept in the absence of any mention, let alone proof that  the resilient mounts are a bad thing?

talk about jumping to conclusions!

bob g

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2006, 06:43:18 AM »
Pro:

"Bob, you've laid into folks on this very board for proposing modifications to the 6/1."

i am getting to be an old fart and my memory is as short as something else i have, perhaps you can remind me of my having laid into folks on proposed alterations to their engine, some examples please?

Forgive me for being lazy.  It might have been hydraulic lifters and turbos.  You spoke eloquently about how the proof of design was the success of the design.  I believe Kyradawg bore the brunt of it.  Probably I paraphrased you out of recognition.

"Speculating whether they're as good as the block is just that, speculation."

you are absolutely right at some level, but good as a block for what purpose?
i have not beat up the use of a block of concrete, and would use one in many instances myself.

With the caveat 'for what purpose?' we are probably in agreement.  I've said in this thread that for most of us pretty much any mount would be fine.  Listers were designed to be run for tens of thousands of hours, a requirement very few of us have.  I continue to believe though that for the long haul and safety, the smart money is on the block.

i damn sure can speculate that i can get the result i need with the use of resilient mounts as will many folks, any harm in speculation, or working toward that goal?

As I said, it's commendable.

how far would mankind have gotten if we don't challenge what was done before? how do you further your knowlege of anything if you don't question?  how do we know what we are told is the truth if we don't investigate and ask for some level of proof?

By all means do challenge and investigate.  I'll read your results with interest.  My sole point is that it's presumptuous for one to say that one knows better than RA Lister how to mount a Lister.

" It plainly says to use a block of at least a particular dimension."

oh it does, does it?

" Our standard foundation drawings give the dimensions of suitable concrete beds.  These dimensions are
the minimum for a good solid sub-soil and modifications will have to be made where the sub-soil is soft, waterlogged,
or otherwise of a special character."

"These dimensions are the minimum for a good solid sub-soil",
what is good, what is the margin of error? this is subjective and leaves room for interpretation

"modifications will have to be made where the sub-soil is soft, waterlogged,
or otherwise of a special character."

boy that is sure specific as mud, subjective as hell, and no specific details as to how to modify to fit certain conditions, some of which might very well be totally outside the parameters for their suggested specifications, then what?

That's a nit.  All that says is that the standard size block will be inadequate in some situations.  Presumably Lister would make site-specific recommendation.  I don't know.

You left out the specification for a normal block, which is complete.

"Portable Models
   Place portable models in as level a position as possible."

what about these portable units? obviously they must have made one or two, did they not warranty those? how did they get around the use of concrete on these? is it not possible that perhaps the portable units were of the upper 10% of the group in being well balanced?

You've got me there.  I know nothing at all about portables.

" Lister knew full well about resilient mounts, yet specified the concrete block.  What's the obvious conclusion?"

the obvious conclusion can be many

1. they didnt work with the resilient mounts period,

2. they did and found them not to work with average balanced engines

3. they like every other manufacture of engines left it to the end user to work out suitable resilient mounts if they wanted them.

4. etc. put your reason here

obviously there can be no "obvious" conclusion to be drawn.

proofs don't come from "obvious" anything, they come from "facts"

We will have to agree to disagree here.  I say RA Lister was incompetent if they neglected to consider resilients, or they secretly approved of resilients but didn't want to tell anyone, etc.  Maybe as you say the block is CYA for poor balance.  Or maybe you know better than they.

if you have followed this debate closely you will notice that there has been all sorts of assertions
that is what i have a problem with, assertions

I've deleted the assertions I did not personally make.

it has been asserted that the block of concrete was an intregal part of the original design, i have asked for some documentation to support this claim, to date none have appeared!

I don't have that.  I don't have documentation for a lot of things that I believe.  My argument is basically an appeal to authority: I respect the design, so I respect the designer's mounting recommendation.

it has been asserted that the ommission of any word from lister on the use of resilient mounts proves they cannot be used, again some mention anywhere that supports that they say no dont use them, or any documentation that they tried and failed, how about any mention of anything re. their use or non use?

I didn't say they can't be used.  Simply stated, my argument is that if you want to mount it the best possible way, your best bet is to follow the spec.  Perhaps we're arguing about nothing.

your side can make assersions,  and speculate on why lister spec'd concrete, fair enough

my side therefore can speculate and make assersions,  as to the viability of using resilient mounts.

my side of the arguement has not taken a rabid stand against concrete, although the same cannot be said for some members of your camp against the use of resilient mounts.

you dont like 'em fine, don't use them. you dont think they will work then provide some form of reasoning other than the original lister engineers didnt mention their use.

I don't disagree with any of this.  My only caveat is that I'd bet resilient mounts don't bid fair to work as well.  For an engine designed for tens of thousands of hours, this won't make a difference in most modern situations.

On second thought I disagree with your characterization of my argument.  It's not that the original engineers didn't mention their use, it's that they specifically, unequivocally say concrete.  You could make your same argument, they didn't mention marshmallow mounts, therefore they don't recommend against the use of marshmallows.  It doesn't hold water.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2006, 06:53:14 AM »
pro:

slippery aren't we?

that was a double question, not a statement

1. what do you find silly about the question, perhaps i can clarify or simplify it?

2. how would they be incompetent? what kind of answer is that to a question

did you not understand the question?

let me try again

have you any documentation that you could direct me to that makes any mention at all of either
them trying to use resilient mounts, or
even discussed their use?

even one sentence? one faded picture?

hell i would take a statement from one of the engineers gardeners, having overheard some mention of, from the paperboy's girlfriends, uncle twice removed  :)

jeesh how much simpler can i make it,,,

somebody show me something that states they even considered the use of resilient mounts... anyone?

any mention at all, for or against their use? anything?

and you are asking me to conclude that they cannot be used! because there is no mention anywhere one way or the other.

please,,,, be serious

No, Bob, I do not have documentation or a photo of Lister engineers experimenting with resilient mounts.  I don't feel the need for any.  I trust in the competence of their engineers.  They designed a wonderful engine.  I don't see how this buys you anything.

who is calling who an idiot?

Certainly not me.  I said your argument is silly.  I apologize if that hurts your feelings.  I don't think you're an idiot.

you must think me a fool to accept in the absence of any mention, let alone proof that  the resilient mounts are a bad thing?

talk about jumping to conclusions!

bob g

But I never said they're a bad thing.  Read my last post.  I don't think you're a fool, but I don't get what you're after here.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2006, 07:15:50 AM »
pro:

perhaps we are coming to an understanding of each other here.

i dont recall taking a stand against the use of hyd lifters or turbo's
although i think it might be very difficult to impliment and there may be longevity issues as well

still wondering what part of my arguement you find to be silly?

your comment about them not mentioning marshmellows as mounts not precluding their use is not apples to apples at all
no one to my knowlege ever, either contemplated or used marshmellow for anything other than eating or possibly decoration.

whereas resilient mounts were in widespread use at the time and every since.

it could be argued that with resilient mounts being commonplace during the time of design of the engine, they might have mentioned not using them if they were against there use. Certainly they might have considered the possibility that someone might want to use them, and warn against their use in some way if they were detrimental to the engine.  wouldnt you think?

they had to consider that perhaps someone might try to use them, therefore warn against their use if it might damage their engine, seems logical to me.

what seems most logical to me is, they knew they could be used but they did not want to get into specific applications and having to engineer for hundreds of applications, so they just didnt mention them.

i wonder if it is possible there is a lister engineer that worked with these engines and their applications that is still alive, now that would be a real coup to locate him.

they ceased production in 81? hmmmm 25 years ago,, maybe there was a 65 yo dude working in the engineering capacity for 40 years still alive,,, he would be 90 years old now... pushin it huh?

lets go find him! all we need is one!

i think i will place a call to lister monday and see if any of the old guys there know of such a guy in an old folks home somewhere in england.

bob g

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2006, 07:36:14 AM »
pro:

perhaps we are coming to an understanding of each other here.

i dont recall taking a stand against the use of hyd lifters or turbo's
although i think it might be very difficult to impliment and there may be longevity issues as well

Must have been some other modification.  I can't remember either, but I do remember your posts there very well.  I wish I could think what to search on.

still wondering what part of my arguement you find to be silly?

I don't attach any importance to the manual not mentioning resilients. The manual is the spec for what you need to do to maintain your warranty.  The way not to mount it according to the manual is, anything that's not a concrete block.

Further, you yourself said the resilients were common back then.  How could they have neglected to consider them?  This is a world class piece of engineering we are talking about.  Quite an oversite.

your comment about them not mentioning marshmellows as mounts not precluding their use is not apples to apples at all
no one to my knowlege ever, either contemplated or used marshmellow for anything other than eating or possibly decoration.

whereas resilient mounts were in widespread use at the time and every since.

it could be argued that with resilient mounts being commonplace during the time of design of the engine, they might have mentioned not using them if they were against there use. Certainly they might have considered the possibility that someone might want to use them, and warn against their use in some way if they were detrimental to the engine.  wouldnt you think?

Not really.  If you deviate from the spec, you void your warranty and you are no longer a concern to them.

they had to consider that perhaps someone might try to use them, therefore warn against their use if it might damage their engine, seems logical to me.

what seems most logical to me is, they knew they could be used but they did not want to get into specific applications and having to engineer for hundreds of applications, so they just didnt mention them.

I won't say it's impossible.

i wonder if it is possible there is a lister engineer that worked with these engines and their applications that is still alive, now that would be a real coup to locate him.

they ceased production in 81? hmmmm 25 years ago,, maybe there was a 65 yo dude working in the engineering capacity for 40 years still alive,,, he would be 90 years old now... pushin it huh?

lets go find him! all we need is one!

i think i will place a call to lister monday and see if any of the old guys there know of such a guy in an old folks home somewhere in england.

Let me know if you find him.  I get paid hourly and this debate is going to put me in the poor house.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »
Good Grief everyone.

Let me condense 4 pages of argument to two glib sentences:

- We've got people on one side defending the status quo, with no real evidence other than it's the status quo.
- The opposing camp says that just because it's the status quo, doesn't mean that it's the be-all and end-all, and alternatives should be explored.

Whether the performance, cost and complexity of resilient mounts will make them a viable alternative to a concrete mount is - at present - a very subjective thing. I hate subjectivity - it leads to arguments , such as this thread. I want numbers, dammit!

In an engineering scale, this is hardly the Apollo Project here. Much bigger and badder problems have been solved and I have no doubt that a general design of a resilient mount will be sorted out that will combine relative longevity and portability with low levels of vibration transmitted to the surroundings. Of course we will never know for sure until we have many thousands of hours on those mounts, with (for the most part) simple indian clones that have their own quality issues to help muddy the picture.

So lets all just take a little step back and stop going around in circles.

Let people build some mounts (using valid resilient mount design principles), run their engines and report back. If half of them end up with shredded engines after a thousand hours, then I'll be asking some serious questions about their design of their mounts. Not resilient mounts in general, just their particular design. If they're all wildly different designs and they suffer catastrophic failures and I can't pick a common design issue throughout the lot of them apart from just the resilient mount, then - and only then - will I begin to question the validity of a resilient mount in general.

Anyway, on with the debate?

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »
This is real easy, except people don't want it to be.

Lister said concrete block, nothing else, during the entire production run of the CS from 29 to 81.

Lister made lots of other engines and did lots of other engineering, the CS was only a small part of their output.

Many if not most of the other engines they made were shipped with flexible mounts specified, ergo Listers, surprise surprise, knew all about resilient mounts, but still never said they were permitted or recommended on a CS

The CS was notable for many things, not just a long production run, but unlike much of the rest of their production, the CS series  was designed to basically run forever and never wear out.

If you take an low and reasonable average hours of a CS at 50k and production of 250k units then by the time Lister were printing the installation instructions in the 80's they had about 12.5 million installed hours experience at a very conservative estimate.

It is a STATIONARY engine, if you wanted a portable, semi portable, marine, traction or other engine they would steer you towards a different model in the range.

==================================

As I have stated elsewhere, I was working for someone who needed to see if a lister could be driving a hydraulic pump on 24/7 duty on flexible mounts on a barge, solid mounts would have made her thrum like a rail, so we can experiements with proper strain gauges and proper data capture under a wide range of loads and conditions (with the caveat they were all run on a good engine with no malfunctions) (don't forget the sump design, a barge was ok because it was flat and negligible wave motion) and as I said I can't recall the numbers exactly but as expected there was an amplitude of over a ton on the mounting bolts, which is why Lister used 3/4 bolts eh.

As I have stated else where, been doing engineering all my life, and when you are talking about complex systems, and technically speaking a DIY steel frame and randomly selected mounts that deteriorate with age and varying load conditions etc etc is a very complex system, and complex systems cannot be modelled economically until the capital investment is measured in the tens of millions of dollars, and finite element modelling is not only expensive, it is anything but fast, quicker to built a test bed (which many of you will do) and add strain gauges and capture data (which none of you will do)

RSJ and other extruded steel forms were about when lister was making steel bases for CS series, but they never used them, they welded up honeycomb base structures with very large amounts of deposited weld and very long welds, with a very high proportion of welds (in the honeycomb base) wrapping around an edge of plate, which just about triples the weld strength.

Listers were a short days journey by horse from where cast iron as an engineering material was basically invented, they knew all about its properties and how it differed from steel.

If Listers did not do something, they had a reason, and the reason is usually easy enough to percieve, unless you have an agenda.

========================

None of this says it is an engineering impossiblity to mount a CS on flexible mounts and not detract in any way from the performance of the engine when mounted on a concrete block.

Unless you have a "Standard" (with a capital S) steel frame then every last one is bespoke, and needs to be treated afresh, ditto specification of mounts and mount points etc

This is not a trivial engineering task, doing it is easy, doing it WELL will be vastly time consuming and expensive, and the same end results can be achieved more rapidly in other means. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I'm a time served engineer, I grew up around CS and probably have 100k hours of being "around" them on a daily basis, I grok computers, data aquisition hardware and software, FEMS, and I live in a place where just about anything engineering I want is at worst a phone call away, and I would shy away from a DIY skid frame and resilient mounts, they are a direct analogy to the railway sleeper and cast iron trolley I bought mine on, ok for a few hours here and there in a field not under full load.

Not because I couldn't do a good job of work of it, but because life is too short to spend 400 hours achieving something that can be achieved in 8 by other methods.

========================

The vast majority of you don't even have listers, you have one of a variety of knock off cheapo copies, and by definition you do not know what corners were cut or what effects they have, long or short term.

The best way I can characterise the approch that I see here is many of you appear to think you are starring in your very own episode of mythbusters, can I rubber mount my listeroid so I can stand next to it and feel no vibes?

Yeah you can, provided you are honest, and speak aloud the subject, it only has to work long enough to film the episode and bust the "myth" because by definition you are moving the goalposts and most certainly do not want to play the 100k hours of reliable running scenario.

There are two camps here, and the ones like Mr Belk who isn't playing and needs that shit to work else it is back to stone age survival techniques with tallow candles for light and so on are quite happy to take lister word on the product they made and know better than anyone else. And then there is the other camp, and quite honestly given what many of them appear to want to do if I was an engine salesman I would NOT have steered them anywhere near a lister.

You can, technically, rubber mount a CS PROPERLY, but by definition if you have the ability you would know enough not to try, just like you can, technically, wire a house with live cable, but a coded sparky wouldn't do it (lightly, though he will have a take to tell)

Bob is playing devils advocate and looking for answers that way, they won't come at zero cost and over the internet, catch a flight over here and I can introduce him to people and let the dog see the rabbit.

To give an analogy.

Birmingham (the one here in the UK) was at one time the world centre for small arms production, amongst other things they made 2 shilling muskets for trade, pop a match in the flash hole, stand upright, fill with water and leave overnight, if it didn't weep they were sold.

This got them such a bad name the better gunsmiths of brimingham went to parliament and got a law passed and built their own barrel proofing house (it is still in use today as a matter of fact) which got them their good name back and differentiated them from the trade musket makers.

Mr Belk I am sure will either know this story, or know his subject well enough to accept it and give half a dozen other examples.

Doo wah diddy with his copy of the anarchists cookbok and instructions on how to make a zip gun will say it is all bollocks, just as the naysayers do here, and come up with pressure calculations and flame speeds etc etc to prove they are right, it can be done their way.

Well, it can, by the likes of Mr Belk, but not by them.

end
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2006, 03:10:06 PM »
Hi I know lister made marine engines very similar to the cs engine! most had a single flywheel.
Don't tell me they poured a big lump of concrete in the boat.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2006, 04:02:47 PM »
GF--  Good analogy on the guns.   English gunmakers are divided into two very distinct 'tiers'.  B'ham makers are 'less' that London's because of a bad reputation two hundred years old!!

Eibar Spain is a modern example of "Indian QC" in the firearms trade.   :P

Speaking of Eibar...who has tried to assemble a CVA muzzle loader kit?   For many years they sold the out of spec and non-fitting parts as "kits".   No telling how many prospective gunmakers were ruined by frustration by them.   :P

Dkw--   I asked the same questions of the nautical guys months ago.  My understanding is that a ships engine mounts  are rigid but insulated from the hull.  I think the first reference I heard of 'the mount being a part of the rigidity of the crankcase..' was in reference to the diesels used in diesel-electric submarines.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

phaedrus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
It seems to me that as Lister describes their primary recommended mounting, the concrete block IS resilient in the sense that it floats in soil isolated from other structures – free to tremble along. The main function seems to be to isolate the engine, and secondarily to locate the engine – both quite vital. True, concrete is not itself particularly resilient, but the soil is. That was my point in saying (above) that the modern elastic pad mount approach and the classical Lister concrete approach are quite similar in effect. Perhaps I did not make that view clear enough. Perhaps the ideal method would be to cast a nice fat concrete block and nest that in a steel frame supported by elastic “resilient” pads, and mount the engine to that. Seems like beating a dead horse, though….which is mostly what one might suspect is going on, ‘course that couldn’t be…

if ya don't ask permission they can't deny it...

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2006, 02:17:34 AM »
This is my question phaedrus -

If a concrete mount and a resilient mount are basically the two extremes of the same thing - which they are, generally speaking -
Then why can't I build a reasonably stiff, resiliently mounted frame to mount those 4 engine points to? That is, trade less overall mass for more motion of engine and frame, which is then isolated from the surroundings by more resiliency?

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2006, 03:16:04 AM »
Guy-Incog.,

[edit: this refers to reply #40 - things are moving fast here]

You said, "A deflection of about 0.05mm up and down, resonant points at 1300/650RPM(Hmm. Better add more concrete!) and at 650RPM," etc.

So if the vertical deflection is 0.05 mm at resonance, what is it when the resonant frequency is moved some odd fraction or multiple of 650 rpm?  I bet it is less than 0.05 mm.

What says your spreadsheet?

Quinn
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:19:31 AM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew