Author Topic: Flywheels and balancing.....  (Read 19139 times)

listerdiesel

Re: Flywheels and balancing.....
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 06:59:12 AM »
Peter---

Am I seeing parralax or are those keyways NOT lined up exactly with the spoke?  If not, that explains the holes to lighten one end of the counterweight on the kit wheels.  That would, effectively, 'move' the keyway in relation to the counterweight.

Quinn--  I've measured and calucalated the mass of the counterweight on these kit wheels and I'm satisfied the bubble is telling the truth.  They weigh 46 and 47 ounces each.  Now, how much are they 'supposed' to weigh?

Probably parallax, I am pretty sure that these are set central to the spoke, but I can check tonight when we get back from work. I left the block and 'wheels out in case I had to go back for more pictures or information.

Peter

Pictures at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Flywheel3.jpg
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Flywheel4.jpg
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Flywheel5.jpg

There is definitely some angular displacement on the two 10/2 flywheels, but the 6/1 flywheel (Flywheel4.jpg) looks pretty central.

Interesting!

Peter

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
Has anyone worked out how to balance a Lister. I have a 3/1 which I have finished building. It still thumps and slowly moves around when there is no load on the lister.  It will possibly shake the building apart if I fix it down to the floor.
The fly wheels have not been swapped over.  Is there an easy way of trial and error to balance the forces such as wrapping lead around spokes etc and if so any idea what amount would make a difference. (As a temp Measure).
I have done a search but can only seem to find this tread.  Surly there must be more than this thread???

Thanks in advance. ;D

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »
Has anyone worked out how to balance a Lister. I have a 3/1 which I have finished building. It still thumps and slowly moves around when there is no load on the lister.  It will possibly shake the building apart if I fix it down to the floor.
The fly wheels have not been swapped over.  Is there an easy way of trial and error to balance the forces such as wrapping lead around spokes etc and if so any idea what amount would make a difference. (As a temp Measure).
I have done a search but can only seem to find this tread.  Surly there must be more than this thread???

Thanks in advance. ;D

Dynamic balancing is fairly easy, you just need to think about the forces involved and try and isolate them as much as possible to get to the force you wish to address.  With these engines, there is the vertical component of the piston and rod moving up and down, the accelerating torque applied to the crankshaft during the power stroke, the decelerating torque applied to the crankshaft during the compression stroke and the force applied to the out of balance crankshaft/flywheel/rod big end applied radially as the shaft rotates. There can also be some other forces and vectors applied based on different states of balance between flywheels, ect.  The more you can take out of the equation the easier it is. 

For my 6/1, I lifted my whole frame with engine and generator head up onto 3/4" rollers on my smooth garage floor.  The rollers were placed parallel to the crankshaft to allow the whole assembly to move easilly in the for-aft direction.  I removed the cylinder head and crankcase cover to remove any compression forces that might apply torque pulses to the crankshaft.  I then powered the crankshaft with an electric motor via a "V" belt and was able to spin it up to better than 400RPM(normally 600+ RPM).  The only forces remaining when the engine was spun up this way were the vertical of the piston and rod(very small compared to the overall weight) and the motion caused by the out of balance crank/rod/flywheel.  That out of balance can be seen as a for-aft movement of the frame on the rollers.  Now one trick that will get you mostly balanced fairly quickly is what I have heard refered to as the "Mr-X" method.  Using a piece of chalk held in close proximity to the flywheel either on the forward side or the aft side level with the crankshaft, the for-aft motion of the assembly will bring the spining wheel into contact with the chalk and leave a mark on the flywheel.  Without taking any other forces into account, This mark should be near the heaviest point on the flywheels, but due to the inertia involved with the frame accelerating and decellerating, the heavist point will have rotated past the chalk mark before the whole assembly moves far enough forward to touch the chalk.  If you do this with a running engine, the +/- torque effects of the power and compression strokes may alter your chalkmarks, even further confusing the position of the actual heavy spot.  Best to have an assistant to trip the compression release and fuel rack.  If you make the chalk marks while the engine is coasting down with decompression this will remove most of the torque effects.  This method will get you in the ballpark though and with a little trial and error and accounting for the delay in the chalk touching the wheel/marking, you can get the balance pretty close.  For fine tuneing, I set up a 1" dial indicator clamped to a heavy steel beam setting on the floor and measured the actual movement of the whole assembly.  It was well over 1/4" when I started.  As I added weight in the correct position, the for-aft movement got smaller and smaller untill I had it under .005".  I re-assembled the engine and with the engine running and generator attached, mine is now under .010" setting on pipe rollers powering a 1.5-2KW load.

There is an online balancing tool at the virtual machine shop that has you place equal weights at different position around the wheel and measure the movement results(the dial indicator is handy for that) and should be able to walk you into a balanced state in less than 10 cycles.  You need 10 equal weights of a sufficient size to perform the process correctly.

Modeling clay is good for a test weight.  If the flywheel is clean and dry, the clay will stick around the inside of the rim pretty well.  I have also heard of some using the magnetic or stick on lead wheel weights, but clay is cheaper.  You also want to avoide concentrating any weight once the final balance is determined.  You want the weight spread out along the rim to avoid overstressing a particular spot on the wheel.  My final lead weights(1/4" lead wire) are 17" long and layed along the inside of the rim and bonded to the wheel.  Whatever weight you use for test or otherwise, make sure it is affixed to the wheel securely as a flying test weight could ruin your day in short order.

Good Luck       
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »
Ronmar,
That’s the best explanation I have seen.  Thank you.
I have actually done the Mr x method. I mounted my Lister on 2 scaffold tubes to allow it to move about on its own (great minds think alike). It appears the counterweight is not heavy enough on the flywheels as the marks I get from forward or up and down movement is always opposite the flywheel counterweight.
I am sure I will work this out but how much weight did you add (of clay) to each flywheel at a time and did you apply them to each wheel equal. I also have about ¼ inch movement.
What I don’t fully understand is that my lister slowly turns anti clockwise. Is one of the wheels more out of balance to the other and if so is it also trial and error with the weights.

I actually spun my engine under its own power.

Again thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It saves tethering it with the power cable.

Stephen.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »
I am sure I will work this out but how much weight did you add (of clay) to each flywheel at a time and did you apply them to each wheel equal. I also have about ¼ inch movement.

How much weight to add?  I would start with less than 2-3 OZ at a time added equally to both flywheels.  I actually lucked out in the modeling clay I found was already divided into strips(16 strips per 12 OZ = 3/4oz per strip)  The key in my opinion is getting it up onto smooth rollers and using the dial gauge to show small changes in the ammount of movement after each change in weight.  If you add too much, you could jump right over the proper ammount so you need that fine measurement of the movement.

What I don’t fully understand is that my lister slowly turns anti clockwise. Is one of the wheels more out of balance to the other and if so is it also trial and error with the weights.

There are a lot of forces involved with the engine running.  Is the engine perfectly level on it's base frame?  Is the base frame perfectly level on the ground? Is the weight evenly distributed across the points where the frame contacts the ground.  This last one would be my most likley guess.  Any of these could be applying torque to the frame.  It could be that as the whole assembly is moving back and forth, it is alternating between opposite corners.  As it moves forward, the left side digs in turning it left.  As it moves back, the right side digs in, again turning it left.  I think you will find that once you reduce your overall movement, the rotation will dissappear. The two wheels could have different balance points but the whole spinning mass is what is moving the assembly back and forth.

I wouldn't think you are experiencing any upward movement that you can see.  In my 6/1 for example, the piston and small end of the rod(the purely vertical components) weigh probably less than 10#.  The all up weight of the frame, generator and engine is over 1000#.  That is less than 1% and I don't think it has enough stored energy at the speed that it travels up and down and the rate at which it decelerates at the top to lift the whole assembly.  There are vertical forces, and these things do thump, but it isn't enough to get them to hop.  That would take a severely out of balance assembly and perhaps an engine running without a frame just setting on the ground as seen in some of the demo videos(stupid and unsafe in my opinion), but even running like that it is still around 750 pounds for one of these CS singles.   

Good Luck
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 09:14:39 PM »
Thankyou for taking the time to explain in depth.
I will take each point and investigate. I will let you know after the weekend. ;D

Stephen

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »
Balance is very important. Just because the piston/rod combo "only" weigh around 10 lbs they create considerable momentum. As an example, I had one of the 6/1 counterweighted flywheels in my lathe, and although my lathe weighs over 10,000 lbs when I tried to get the rpm up to 350-400 rpm to do some boring on the center hub for the installation of a taper bushing any rpm over a couple of hundred had the lathe threatening to flip! It really was that bad!