Author Topic: Need spill timing help  (Read 4062 times)

George A

• View Profile
Need spill timing help
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:44:02 PM »
I'm the proud new (read: inexperienced) owner of a Vidhata 6/1 that has not been run yet. Unfortunately, the injector pump turned out to be faulty so another was ordered and installed. Problem: I'm not that knowedgeable about diesels (yet) and am more than a little confused on how to spill time the engine. No problem establishing TDC and 20 degrees BTC, but exactly WHAT is the objective when setting the pump? In other words, are you trying to get the pump to just BEGIN pushing fuel at the 20 degree mark (makes sense), or watch for a cut off point in the pumping at that point. None of the instructions seem to describe what needs to be accomplished. If I can just get this nugget of info, I'm on my way! Thanks all!
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Need spill timing help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 03:41:17 PM »
George A....I have the instruction manual on a PDF file....e-mail it to you...OK?..............I sent it...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:49:30 PM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:50:32 PM »
George (and others)

The object is to have the fuel START to flow at 20 deg BTDC.  If you take the fuel line off the top of the pump, then pull the spring cap (don't drop the spring out) and then pull the valve straight up with a pair of needle nose.  (If it's sticky, very carefull clean it with NON abrasives until it operates freely.) 
  I take out the valve and the spring and then put the cap back on the pump and rotate the engine a couple of times to get fuel right up to the top.   As you slowly move the flywheel to 20 deg before top dead center you easily see the fuel start to flow at a precise point.

'Advanced' timing is hard on the big end bearings.   'Retarded' timing causes loss of power and smoke.

It's really helpful to set up your engine so there is a fuel shut-off valve within reach, too.  THats' one of the things you learn as you go along.   :o :o
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 04:56:22 AM »
Thanks guys! Sorry I took so long to reply.....we had a cut fiber cable out here in California....shut down my dsl and most of the north state. I got help from a couple of folks on my old engine site also, but got my question answered here. The object is to have the pump START pushing at about 20 degrees BTC. That's the basic info that seemed to elude me amongst all the timing instructions. I'll grab that email now! ;D
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.