Author Topic: The closing of a perenial hardware store.  (Read 5746 times)

skeeter

• View Profile
The closing of a perenial hardware store.
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:22:28 PM »
Forgive me for going off topic, and I'm new on this forum, so forgive me. But I just have to vent. Like everywhere else in America, well almost, the big box stores are becoming almost the only choice (even in my somewhat rural community), unless you shop out of a catalog or the internet. The other day I heard that a local, family owned hardware store was closing. Why this matter to me was, that this store had been open for 140 years, run by the same family, a fixture, a virtual rock in our throw-away world. I remember the first time I step in there, I was amazed at the breath of products that were contained. I remembered thinking then, how does this place exist today, how does it keep such an inventory of so many diverse products, I mean some of the inventory is from generations gone by. What was amazing to me was I never had any problems finding anything in this large, somewhat cluttered store. Along with their diverse inventory, you also received immediate attention when you walked in the store. Not a peskey, salesy, know nothing type, but a subtle, quite, guide you along, by someone who knew the inventory and quickly grasped what was needed, and all along keeping a tally of your bill among others like you. No calculators here. Because this store is not in the most conveinent place, I found myself patronizing the store only when the big box stores didn't have what I needed, which did happen often, especially considering the wacky projects I sometimes get myself involved with. My lack of "loyalty" to this store was not purposeful, it wasn't even consciously known until now, until its almost gone. Today, I found myself there, there for some needed items for my listeroid project. Even though they were trying to clear the inventory at 30 to 50% off, the store clerks were just as attentive as always, going about their business as if almost nothing had change, still no calculator except at the checkout counter. My own thoughts were, in addition what I needed for my project, was "why didn't I shop here more often".
PS 12/2 & 7.5kw ST Head
195 deg. F T-Stats
Motorguard Bypass Filter
xyzer's Dippers
1100 hrs & counting

Doug

Re: The closing of a perenial hardware store.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 12:00:50 AM »
For me it was called Cronnan's a nice little dept store own by Jewish family in the small town of Espanola on the spanish river in Northern Ontario. Every kind of toy a young lad could ask for in the back, vavles and plumbing for Papa, clothing for Gran, fishing tackle pots pans ect....

Well it just goes to show the little guy can't brow beat a Chinese factory like Walmart for the best price. And we aren't going to shop at the little guy if there's a Walamart around.

Shame on us for letting localy owned dry up and blow away....

I work for Inco, for 104 years we were " the " nickle company that won wars for the west ( by being a monopoly for the first 50 years ). In a few short weeks we will go the way of Falconbridge ( now called Extrata nickel, from the people who invented food for oil scams and were pardoned by Clinton on his last day in office ).

Hello CVRD nice to work for the new Brazilian boss. Does he shop at Walmart?

Doug

Spark_Chaser

• View Profile
    • Web Page
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:09:19 AM »
Just got back from one of those stores. 
I was looking for a headlamp and while I was looking about I passed the camping water jug section and found a box with replacement spigot/lid assemblies for our colman camping water jugs.

Unfortunatelly Walmart, HomeDepot, and Lowes all arrived here in the last 2-3 years and are taking thier toll.

For anyone who has a special hardware need and happens to be in or passing through Fairbanks Alaska, Sampsons Hardware and Sentry Hardware are hanging on for now.

Perhaps when oil prices drive transportation/manufacturing costs way high, Quality and service will be in demand again, as will the magic art of repairing instead of throwing away. 

Spark_Chaser
6/1 GM90 disassembled and in work

past
5KW ST sold
Northern Lights 7KW sold

Doug

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:22:44 AM »
I admit I go to big box stores all the time, but I also spend at smaller outfits simply because they sit on a lot of stock that happens to be the sort of things I want....

Doug

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:48:19 PM »
   Doug if you are ever down this way try visiting the Holyrood "shopping mall". It's just an old general store in the middle of no where in the country surrounded by Mennonites. Everything from cast iron horse drawn implement seats, hunting licenses, post office, tools, parts and the most massive icecream cones you ever tried to hold let alone eat.
  Next Sept I may take the 400 ext past Sudbury and see what you are up to.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:36:52 PM »
Your more than welcom to stop in for a vissit, best give me a heads up first so I can arrange some time. I'm still on shift for the .... iron ore company ( thats a snub you Brazilians. ).

Doug

livecheap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 02:14:01 AM »
i went to home cheapo the other day i asked the guy for flints for my torches he said we do not carry flints so i laughed and asked again and yelled at meWE DO NOT CARRY FLINTS and he walked away so i went to the torch area and got a package of the flints that they DO NOT CARRY also i got a small piece of chain for the lid on my driveway sealing tank and a metal watering can and a can of rustolium paint i then went to cheak out it was
ten at nite no regs were open only self cheackout and that was broke. a guy came over and said you have to go back to the chain dept and get a SKU # i said listen son there is a guy hiding behind a stack of lumber on a cell phone talking to his girl and theres a girl doing nothing drinking a coffe and 2 other guys talking about who knows what and then theres you. i said im not going to get you shit theres 5 people standing here and im the only guy in the store are you going to help me or what !!! he said im not going back there to get it and i said shove this sheeeeet up your arsss i through it on the floor in front of him and have not been back since i should have talked to a manager but i was at my limit and left-- why go to jail when ya got a house right??  thanks for letting me vent guys i feel better now  LOL  sam c

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 04:14:21 AM »
Sam,
   Thats the problem with home despot.  They don't pay worth crap and therefore the caliber of people you get in there reflects that.  If you go in there you have to know where everything is because the majority of the orange apron types are lucky to find their way to work each day.  The electrical department is a joke, they have no idea what goes with what, it's just a good thing I'm handy or I'd have to pay someone to fix stuff because they can't help.

You probably should have asked to talk to the MOD aka Manager on Duty.  Failing that they usually have the store managers name and photography and more importantly telephone number on the wall at the front.  Jot that number down and call during normal store hours and tell him exactly how you were treated.  He may well not do much about it or care but at least you tried.

We used to have a lovely little hardware store in town, you could get anything you wanted there and the folks in there actually knew how to do stuff.  when the HD moved in to town I knew that store wouldn't last long and it didn't and we are all a lot worse off because of it.

Robert

Stan

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 04:54:59 AM »
Home despot service is a direct result of the efficiency of the management.  There's a store in the Vancouver area where every employee spends most of their time looking for customers to help.  They will always take you to where the item you want is located and then ask you if there's anything else you want.  If they can't find it they phone the office and ask.  There's another store where the employees are as hard to find as purple spotted tree frogs, and if you do find one you had better be able to run faster than they can or they will elude you.  Management style is the only answer.
Stan

livecheap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 05:31:10 PM »
ya know guys, usually there ok at the depot, i guess i just got there when it was all young kids working and we know how they get LAZY but for the most part i know the store so well im in at out quick and directly across the street from HOME CHEAPO IS SLOW LOWES and that place is so big theres a lot of walking involved and i need a knee replacement . but anyways we got a ace hardeware store petersons in south windsor ct and the guy has everything under the sun even STIKE ANYWARE MATCHES not strike on box this store has everything and its not expensive either.I guess we are just creatures of habit and we should remember

When we get mad at home depot and lowes we go back to old faithful JOES HARDWARE
It should be the other way around first go to JOES  when all else fails go to lowes

sam

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »
after my last visit to lowes where we got in a serious discussion of why they need my phone # for a cash sale/at least they lost and i scored one,,,,, but there is always another experience... checking out today a customer need  help and as usual no one was available,,, the cashier politely smiled and said,,, since you are in here all the time--- could you help this customer// that just about says it all for a box store when they ask a customer to help another customer//at least we still have an ole ace hardware in town// if you need it they have it but do not try to find it.. they will find you and help you locate it/// they have more hanging from the rafters then most store stock////sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc