Puppeteer

Author Topic: Original CS Lister What's it worth?  (Read 7097 times)

Shadow

• View Profile
Original CS Lister What's it worth?
« on: September 26, 2006, 03:35:31 AM »
 I found a Lister engine stamped CS35943 650rpm 5/1/35 complete and original I'm presuming its a 6 hp and is the 35 the year?Ihavent went to see it yet but supposedly runs good.Last ran 15 years ago.But hasnt been used since the 60's. Was in a blacksmith shop before that.I'm hoping to go see it at the end of the week, what should I look for besides general completeness etc?And the big question whats it worth? He's asking $2500 Canadian.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: Original CS Lister What's it worth?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 04:16:20 AM »
Is it worth $2500?  No
I bought a SOM complete and shipped it to Canada from the UK and have not spent that.

In that condition offer him $1300
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:22:51 AM »
It is a 1939 engine, worth having but would only sell for £150 to £200 at most in the UK.

Dating guide for the older numbering system and petrol engines is at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/dating.htm

Peter

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 09:01:41 PM »
Hello people
This is my first post of many no dought.
I have just purchased a lister for £100 off the net(not e-bay).Needs shed loads of work.
On the plate it has got this
CS3044  spec 5/1/17
HP 5  RPM 600
When i start stripping it ill soon know if its a bargain or not.At the moment it turns over some of the way and then jams.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »
sounds like you have your not engaged the exhaust hold open device
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 02:59:26 AM »
Does the 5/1 mean 5hp 1 cylinder? If so,  where does the 6/1 come from you always hear about? I've always thought they were CS 6/1 Listers...

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 03:54:38 AM »
Same basic unit.  Notice the plate says 5 hp at 600 RPM?  A CS 6/1 says 650 RPM  I'm sure there are some other differences.  Seems they also had an 8/1 in the later years

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 07:45:48 AM »
Same basic unit.  Notice the plate says 5 hp at 600 RPM?  A CS 6/1 says 650 RPM  I'm sure there are some other differences.  Seems they also had an 8/1 in the later years

The 6/1 is indeed a 5/1 running at 650rpm, but there was some confusion over the stamping of plates, so you may find both, and you can uprate a 5/1 just by changing the running speed, same applies to the 10/2 and 12/2 twins.

The 8/1 and 16/2 are different animals, they have no compression change-over, higher compression ratio and higher speed. The injection parameters are listed by CAV as being the same as the earlier engines. The cylinder block was changed in  later engines to eliminate material waste, the head was the same as the earlier engines with a large blanking plug where the compression change-over control used to be.

Peter

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 10:46:10 PM »
Well after removing various stuck and rusty bits the engine now turns over.The exhaust valve was preventing the piston reaching tdc.Now in the process of dismantling the pump and getting that unstuck

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 11:43:28 PM »
It is a 1939 engine, worth having but would only sell for £150 to £200 at most in the UK.

Peter

I looked at the dating pages for the CS series and the serial numbers only goe up to 85082.  Where are the higher numbers?  I have seen CS engines with 6 digits.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

listerdiesel

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 06:28:52 AM »

Peter

I looked at the dating pages for the CS series and the serial numbers only goe up to 85082.  Where are the higher numbers?  I have seen CS engines with 6 digits.

Go to the bottom of that first page, you'll see a link to the Post 1951 Dating page.....

On that numbering system, watch out for the 51 or 61 in the number which is 5/1 and 6/1, don't confuse these digits with the serial numbering.

Peter