Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petteroid problems?  (Read 6051 times)

Spacehog

• View Profile
Petteroid problems?
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »
Hi, i'm thinking of buying a petteroid but wanted to know if there are any common problems?
I know the listeroids have cam idler gear problems, do the petteroids have anything similar?

Thanks
               Spacehog

Doug

Re: Petteroid problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:22:08 PM »
Depending on who machined the cam the there some rough edges on mine. There is so much meat on the cam it will probably shed some iron and run on but its something to be aware of on low end gears. These won't crumble like the listers, just too much Iron or steel ( ask for steel geqars its an option ) to come apart.
Oil journals are ugly on low end cranks, my concern here is garbage recking the bearings ( ask for top of the line OE  parts for KOEL. I was told this tip by Mamad... )
Gear oil pumps, only an idiot would pass on this....

Doug

Spacehog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:00:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice

Doug

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:02:47 AM »
The potential with these is huge. Knowing what i know now and seeing what other options are available.

I'd order a KOEL engine or specify it be built using KOEL internal parts. I'd ask for a full flow lube filter system with the external spin on filter option.

There is also a giant Petteroid based on a 120 bore with a 120 stroke that looks like it would be bitchin at about 1200 rpm. There is also the larger 114 mm bore standard 12 hp ( bigger than mine ) if you just want more cubes. Then there are the twins, no one here has opened one up or done any serious testing but I know a guy who has a 102 by 110 20 hp twin preban in the US that he may want to part with if you would like to talk to him PM me and I'll get you intouch.

Doug

No financial interest....

Spacehog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »
Thanks Doug but i'm in UK, i'm just interested in a 'baby' one on genset at the moment.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 10:04:39 PM »
Oh your in the UK.....

Bugger there was an AV1 a series 1 judging form the injector angle on a little trolley with an alternator head selling on ebay some time ago. I don't know what it went for or where exactly it was (I think in England ). But that would have been a nice little item...

Aren't these fairly common in your country, rather like Onans here in Canada?

Doug

Spacehog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »
yes they are very common, i have some original manuals of the av and b series which i might scan if anyone is interested?

Doug

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 05:28:23 PM »
Please scan and email me the manuals!!!

Doug

Spacehog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 07:00:01 PM »
Yes will do, but it might take me a while