Puppeteer

Author Topic: Crankcase Splash Plate?  (Read 9646 times)

listerdiesel

Re: Crankcase Splash Plate?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 08:33:39 PM »
The crankcase splash tray was introduced at engine No 5864 which looks like a 1932/33 engine year.

Peter

OffGrid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 04:52:33 AM »
I have never seen or touched a real Lister, but did they not have an oil pump & feed lines for the plain
bearings on the crank? Our Roids have tapered roller bearings which need less lube so they (India) cost
reduced out the oil pump & feed lines. I would think that with an oil pump the tray may have been added to
reduce the turbulence in the sump, reducing the chance of the pump sucking air. Just my 2 cents worth (and
that is in Canadian funds, so it ain't worth much)  ;D
Cheers
Listeroid 6/1
2 - Kubota EA300
5kw Wind Turbine
1kw Wind Turbine
750 watt solar array

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 08:56:11 AM »
How wide is that slot compared to the dipper? It would have to have been used to control oil movement in the sump - without it at 600rpm, that dipper, while throwing oil everywhere, will also cause quite a few standing waves in the sump. It's possible that a trough (or a peak) in the oil level could form under the dipper and stay there at a certain RPM, causing the dippers effectiveness to be reduced.  Can anyone tell how close to the normal oil level it would be?

But having  said all that - maybe it shouldn't be there now if the bearings are splash lubricated.

listerdiesel

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 12:09:21 PM »
The slot is about 5/8" to 3/4" wide. I'll check exactly tonight.

Peter