Puppeteer

Author Topic: Chinese V-twin  (Read 6057 times)

Jim_in_Omaha

• View Profile
Chinese V-twin
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:13:49 AM »
Not a slow speed but seems like someone somewhere said these were on the way to the US. A twin version of the copied Yanmar Chinese 406cc diesel. Looks kind of neat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/18-20-HP-V-TWIN-AIR-COOLED-DIESEL-ENGINE-W-ELECT-START_W0QQitemZ230030071611QQihZ013QQcategoryZ79670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DaveW

• View Profile
Re: Chinese V-twin
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
    That looks like fun. But a while back I sat myself down and had a solemn talk.  No more 3600 rpm engines. NO. No more.  I have enough screamers as it is.  Not even diesel.  But still, that looks like fun.

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 04:16:20 AM »
Cute little beast - looks like it'd make a nice motorcycle engine.  Not sure what else I'd do with it, unless that guy up the street blows the enigne in his wheel-horse and wants to get rid of it cheap...

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 05:49:45 AM »
Now that would be a perfect replacement for the 14 HP cast iron (Techumseth?) single in my Case 444 garden tractor.  I was thinking of maybe a Changfa instead of rebuilding the gasoline engine when it finally gives up, but the original engine spins faster than a Changfa.  This twin diesel would be sweet and the light weight is right on the money.  It would be a nice symmetrical fit also.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »
Yep that would be great to repower a mower but the price is way off.  Especially since gas prices are on their way back down.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
That would be a super engine to power a portable welding rig!  I am borrowing a nice Lincoln Commander 250 right now and it has a similar air cooled V-twin but gasoline engine and as far as fuel use goes, it sucks.  Diesel would be much more economical.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 05:54:52 PM »
Guys
Looks like it has possiblities to be a replacement prime mover for the POS, lp fueled, 12.5 Kw Generac lying dead in front of my house.  Now to figure out how to adapt the rotor and stator assembly to the "noisemaker".  Probably have to pull  the crank and turn a taper and fab a adapter plate to center the stator housing.

Of course with that effort sunk the Crap Generac electronics will give up  the ghost... HA!!!! I'm sure glad I'm not the fool who bought the Generac.

One more lithium for the road!!

I think it's nap time.

Mike

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 08:07:16 PM »
Guys
Looks like it has possiblities to be a replacement prime mover for the POS, lp fueled, 12.5 Kw Generac lying dead in front of my house.  Now to figure out how to adapt the rotor and stator assembly to the "noisemaker".  Probably have to pull  the crank and turn a taper and fab a adapter plate to center the stator housing.

Of course with that effort sunk the Crap Generac electronics will give up  the ghost... HA!!!! I'm sure glad I'm not the fool who bought the Generac.

One more lithium for the road!!

I think it's nap time.

Mike

I have heard from a generator dealer who knows how the rubber meets the road that Generac is crap.  I have a Generac 15kW PTO unit, it is called the `shotgun` because it has two side by side 7500 watt. 3600 RPM alternators coupled side by side to the common gearbox.  The coil in the rotating armature has actually escaped it`s slot from crappy design (not able to withstand 3600 RPM centrifugal force) and is rubbing on the stator.  If it had been run any longer it would have turned into a copper fuzzball in there.

I have a 28kW continuous, 40 kW peak rated, 540 PTO driven Generac that I don`t know what to do with.  If it was an 1800 RPM alternator I`d consider making a use for it but it has a 3600 RPM alternator on it which makes the 540 shaft nary impossible to turn without vice grips.  Lots of mechanical loss in this gearbox apparently.  Weighs a ton too.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1