Puppeteer

Author Topic: METRO OWNERS  (Read 48494 times)

M61hops

• View Profile
Re: METRO OWNERS
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »
I second that request for more info!  I have a little trouble imagineing the wiring diagram of using a 3 phase motor to boost output of an ST head.  Do you run loads off the other 2 leads of the motor?  What is the current draw from the ST head when there is no load on the outputs of the 3 phase motor?  And when the 3 phase is loaded?  I use a 10HP 3 phase motor as a converter in my home shop and I've always wanted to try driving the motor shaft with an engine to see what would happen.  My setup draws 17A single phase idle current and I'd hope that to drop to almost nothing if I was driving the converter with a motor.  Any info would be much apprecieated.  Thanks...Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

Biloxibad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
Easy as PI  .  The ST15 is a single phase generator synchronous .   I drive it at a steady 60 HZ  and maintain a load on it of about 5- 10 kw with the irrigation pumps, lighting, air conditioning, Hot water, cooking etc, .  when the wife wants to do some laundry, usually while I am welding  ( she's allergic to clothes lines)  we need a bit more power. 

I spin up the Baldor 20 Hp 3 ph with the Metro 6/1 to 3600 Rpm and then close the breaker to the panel,  The current flow is nill until I begin to over drive the Baldor, at about 3608 rpm the current flow reverses and the baldor becomes a generator and puts a load on the Lister,  I only have one leg (2 line out of the three)  attached to 2 legs of the single phase 110/220  (use 2- 20 amp breakers just like in a normal 220 v circuit)

I don't close the breaker until I am at the 3600 rpm speed or the baldor wants to act like a motor and draws current from my grid, once I push it above 3600 the current reverses and it becomes a generator albeit not quite as efficient as a single phase motor would be..   

The St15 acts like a voltage regulator and a HZ regulator putting the additional current into my "grid" . 

Caution,  I have to monitor constantly whilein this configuration, because if the Lister allows the speed of the Baldor to go lower than 3600, it begins to draw massive amounts of power from my grid and a three phase motor trying to run on one phase pulls plenty of power,  thus the 20 amp breakers..

The other 2 legs of the baldor have voltage available but are three phase configuration, and will draw down my 6/1 too much so I haven't tapped them.  I suppose with a larger Prime mover I could set up a full three phase panel..

I have a 10 HP single phase  baldor 1800rpm  sitting there that I am going to replace the 20 HP 3 phase when I get time to fidle with it I think it will be a bit safer and more efficient. .. It is planting season here and taking all this poor crippled boy's energy. 

PS.. I got the 3 phase motor for only $50.00. used 3 phase are dirt cheap, and I needed dirrt cheap. 

(Since then I got my tax return and got the high effiency 10 hp Single phase motor (about $300 and should be able to get more usable power from it than a ST10 gen head at lower cost.. it should generate about 39 amps at 230 v (8900 watts)  the only drawback is it will not be a stand alone application as it will need an "external grid" to supply the excitation and regulation. ( you also have to remove the starting circuit and a couple of other mods.   Utterpower has a book available that will tell you a lot more about this, I suggest that if you are interested inb this type of technology you get this book)  . Hope this helps..

Steve

Metro lister6/1
Jiang Ling zx1125
ST15
Baldor 20 3 ph 3450
Baldor 10 Hp single phase 1750

Biloxibad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »
Just a bit of clarification,  The rated speed of the 20HP 3ph baldor is 3450 ( meaning 3600 theoretical no slip speed) .   Below 3600 Rpm it acts like a motor and draws power from the grid, above 3600 it begins to act like a generator putting power into the grid, the faster you drive it, the more power it gens..

hope this helps..   
Metro lister6/1
Jiang Ling zx1125
ST15
Baldor 20 3 ph 3450
Baldor 10 Hp single phase 1750

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 04:18:17 PM »
Yes that helps me a lot, thanks Steve!  I have a 6HP Metro and a 10HP 3 phase motor I use as a converter to change my grid power to 3 phase to run a 2HP, a 3HP or a 7.5HP 3 phase motors.  I keep looking at the converter, the Metro, and my electric meter spinning... I sometimes wish for bigger Metro?  Thanks again...Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
You'll get a more efficient set up using a capacitor run motor....

The Baldor is a premium motor and has a big dig house with start and run capacitors inside.

The cetrifigal switch cuts out the start capacitors around 75% - 85 of full speed. Never tried this bit if you lighten the counter weights and or use different springs you may be able to get this to snap open at or just Syncronous speed to run a contactor to connect the induction generator to the load.

I wouldn't try and add anymore than 1/3 more power to a set up like this. The system might get a little unstable if you try and induction generate too much power.

You may need to add extra PF correction to the induction generator but not more than needed to get it up Unity but not over. Above this and your voltage may be a little unstable and tend to climb as you load decreases.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Dellis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 09:46:33 AM »
I bought a 6/1 Metro from Sam in 06. Just got it running in Jan 07 to find out it had a bent crank. Sam has sent me a new crank that I have now installed and am having trouble getting it timed. I hope to use the 6/1 to pump water from a well for cattle. I bought the gen head from Sam also. Does anyone know if a 4.0 will start a 1 hp 240 pump set 300 ft? I have been using a gas 5.5 to run my wells so far.   

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 01:26:55 PM »
Dellis,
  No problem, mine runs a 1.5hp mixing veg oil along with an oil burner and a smaller mixer. The rack is open less than half way. If you have the same head I do, check the large resister mounted to the air grate. Near, right, if you are looking at the display. The grate will fatigue and break in short order pulling the wires out of the resister. I mounted mine diagonally on rubber so it's not just one line of slots carrying the weight and it's been OK. Also, I'd move the doghouse if you are going to be putting some hours on it. It'll rattle apart fairly quickly.       Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

Dellis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 05:17:02 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the info. I will ck the resister before running much. At this point I am still working on timing as I did not mark cam and crank postions before taking out the crank. Bad move :( .

Dellis

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 03:25:06 AM »
I just received a 6/1 from Sam this week 5 -26-07 ;D.  No sand in the crankcase. I does shake a bit more when running than I expected but I don't know what is normal for a 6/1. I am quite happy with the engine.
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
Also recieved a 6/1 from Sam last year. Excellent motor, am pleased with both it and Sam's service

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 05:56:19 AM »
Steve -

I bought a 6/1 from Sam too I guess right before you did... what are your serial No. ??  Keep us informed on this black slobbering out the exhaust. Any guesses about the slobbering?
Someone explain is  it bad to have the "P" and "I" parts on the engine.
Rob

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 05:57:10 AM »
Just bought a metro 6/1 from Sam last week. It is my 1st listeroid and I'm quite happy with the engine.
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »
I too have a metro that i bought from SAM.  It started weeping a little water from the cylinder head gasket so i figured i would take it apart to replace the head gasket and take a look around.  The only thing i found upon close inspection was some scratches in the big end bearing.  I suspect this was from when it was originally test run. I only had about 80 hours on the motor before i took it apart.  When i drained the oil i also filtered it through a automotive paint strainer. The paint strainer is fine enough to catch any sand particles that may have been in the engine.  I did find a few small specs but that was it.  I also have a magnet in the crank and it had a slight coating of very fine metal particles on it. I suspect that what i found on the magnet was from the rings and the liner.

I noticed that someone had posted their serial number 69348 mine is 69597 i purchased mine in Jan 07. It would be interesting if all metro owners posted their serial numbers here or maybe in a new thread just to see how close they are to each other.

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 06:24:20 AM »
First post here. I sent sam a note to see if he had any 6/1's in stock. I might just be ready to go on this.

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 01:19:27 AM »
Well I went ahead and bought a metro 6/1 gen. combo from Sam Crosby today.  It will take a week or so to get here and I am real anxious to see it.

Is there any of the others in this thread or other wise that can send me some good pictures of what I have bought as I have not seen this combo setup with the water pump and radiator as he described it.

thanks,
Doug...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:48:35 AM by Doug Doty »