Puppeteer

Author Topic: METRO OWNERS  (Read 48649 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: METRO OWNERS
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 02:52:29 AM »
Bottom left seems to be the waterpump the standard Indian. This one says "JAY" on it as the manufacturer, shaft runs on a pair of 6203 bearings. It doesn't come apart to inspect the seal, well it probalyu can be taken apart but the impeller is pressed on the shaft.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4071037

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

trickn7474

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 03:36:50 AM »
Could someone give me Sam's web address, I'd like to look at what he has. You guys are talking over my head about the electrical stuff, where can I go to learn about the electrical end of generation. I'm retired so I have time. Thanks guys!

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 03:47:13 AM »
trickn7474 if you have time stop by the local library and look for anything written for the Navy with regards to electric motor/generator repair. The older versions from the 60's are the best ones. Army training manuals for electricans are also very good

Book stores should be able to help you find some college and trade school text books new.
Community college book stores might have some used, look for things like introduction to electrical theory and electric circuts. Some algebra snd trigonomitry skills might be in needed if you want to get in deapth on thoery.

Electronics books are of little use or interest to you if you want to understand machines.....

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »
My Metro arrived Friday but I was out so I just found it on the dock this morning.

The control box on the Gen is a little crushed but I can fix that and it does have a lot of paint on it.  Will try to get it home and do some inspections later this week.  I still have mixed emotions about starting it even if it seems spotless clean inside. I can see the paint is knocked off the inspection cover plate so someone has looked inside since it was painted ??? I can tell by looking it over that I will want to remove the radiator / pump setup in favor of good old thermosiphin for ease of maintnance if no other reason.

The cooling system and belt runs internal of the right flywheel and the pump mounts solidly off of the head up high. It does look better than I had thought it would.

Doug...

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »
So get some pictures of it and post them for us to see  ;D ;D    I have not seen one with a pump and radiator set up .... so take lots of pic's    ok..   ::  wrightkiller  ::

Panxerox

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 03:43:23 AM »
Just got a 6/1 from Sam with 4k genset. working on getting it running,  couple of questions (appreciate your taking the time to answer these).  We are getting a tremendous amount of smoke out of the unit, we have a couple of conflicting sources of information about the amount of oil to put in the base,  we have heard 1 say that you should have only 1/2 inch of that that protrusion on the bottom going knife edge thru the oil (which would make the amount of oil about 1 quart) and another source saying it needs 5 1/2 quarts (which would put the oil level way above the level of the bottom of the crank)

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 05:14:37 AM »
WK  I will before weeks end.......  Doctoring most of the day tomorrow.

PAN  I have not even read the manual yet but assume that was not in there, I am in the same boat and anxious to here for my startup as well.

Doty...

Panxerox

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 02:42:33 AM »
Ah, Sam replied 3 liters (quarts very close)  I was using 5.5 quarts  (way too much)

Panxerox

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 01:24:08 AM »
1st hours run time under load, governor holds it steady,  still getting some smoke out of it but not allot I understand that it will smoke for the first 10 hours or so, going to flush it out and refill and do 1 hour run flush cycles about 3 times I think.  have an un pumped radiator on it with top of rad above the top water inlet.  No real grindings on the magnet in the base.    Anybody here have any idea how long before its "broke in" as mentioned earlier I heard 10 hours but I'm not sure? slobbers a little

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 03:59:42 AM »
My metro is alive,  I got it running on the pallot in the grass outside the dock at work this eve. Took quite a while to get the fuel pump moving fuel even after it was flowing out of the top fitting via. gravity. but when it got to pumping we filled the hard line to the top and then it hit right away. Pretty shaky on the pallot but run for a few minutes, re-started 3 or 4 times all is good. The frame it is all mounted on is real crap but when I questioned Sam about how it was made in detail prior to buying it he represented it exactly as it is, so no real complaints there. I can not imagine not building my own interpretation of a good frame arrangment. I forgot to get the pictures but I got it home this eve. so another day or so and I will post them below this first fire-up report.

P.S.  PAN:  My engine was prefilled with oil and was just barly touching the bottom rod bolt as the crank pin rotated through the bottom of it's stroke and I would guess it is more than 3 liters, I would still like to hear someone else chime in on this as what is a proven standard oil level. This seemed like a lot but a little extra if so would probably not be too bad of a thing on an initial startup.

Doug Doty...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:11:14 AM by Doug Doty »

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 04:18:13 AM »
Well you went from posting questions on the 10th to ownership on the 26th.

Thats warp speed lol. Took me I guess 8 months of deliberation before I jumped into the fray and I still haven't started it lol....

Could you take some detailed pictures of the Indian generator head. We just don't know much about them yet..

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 04:32:26 AM »
I had bought a pallot load of china made 6000 watt diesel generators in sound enclosures at an auction and they have all started up and ran fine so far. The original goal was standby power for the home and shop but as I looked inside those generators I thought to myself   " There has to be a 100 things in there that I might not be able to fix if it quits, and that is if I knew what was wrong " most would revolve around parts availability and diagnosis.  Then I started reading hear again, have been off and on for a long time. Then I realized that availability and prices were getting wierd so I just done it.  I crave " simplicity "  and I think there is a picture of a lister in the dictionary if you look it up. No wires to make it run, no starter, pleasent to listen to, gotta love it. What it is capable of and wanting to utilize it in an entertaining and meaningfull way helped form the rest of my ideas about working toward taking the race shop off grid in the future. 

I will get the pictures tomorrow as it is pouring rain between here and the shop tonight.

P.S. anybody need a china built 6000 diesel generator or 4 by chance.

Doug...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:36:36 AM by Doug Doty »

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 04:36:58 AM »
I understand your thinking.

I'm also a but on the nervous side so I ordered every par I ever amagined I would need, now I am ordering more.

I do like the simplicity, its also forced me to do some thinking about how I aproach problems and solutions

I'm glad your happy Doug.

Doug

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 04:48:08 AM »
The SOB's are heavy,  .  Fork lift onto my trailer at work but a cherry picker here at home and a good bit of grunt also. I had thought about taking it down before running it but decided from other lister replys to run for a while first. I have too many projects already going on to want to do this based on the odds. I will do it this winter and see if it was a mistake or not. A good friend runs an engine shop and does my race stuff and also a lot of odd types of engines so he has a real aggressive costic tank to strip all the paint and let me build it back up clean and paint it a little nicer.

Doug...

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 03:45:52 AM »
I am finishing my heavy duty frame that it will be re-mounted to today and tomorrow and will get it set into place and get the pictures I promised and have not gotten yet.

Doug...