Puppeteer

Author Topic: METRO OWNERS  (Read 48495 times)

wrightkiller

• View Profile
METRO OWNERS
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:19:06 AM »
Iam just trying to find out how many people bought metro 6/1 ...and metro 6/1 gensets from Sam Crosby in maine  or any other metro engines ..  I found out which manufacturer made my metro 6/1  It is PURUSHARTH INDUSTRIES     their stamp is on most all of the parts that I have cleaned    the mark is a  P  with  an I      through it  pictures in coppermine photo gallery    
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:50:25 PM by wrightkiller »

Johnm49

• View Profile
Re: METRO OWNERS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »
 have a 12/2 Metro from Crosby. I purchased it almost a year ago. I am one of the ones that got stuck with the engines with two heads that are the same rather than a right hand & a left hand head. The engine runs OK, but the coolant piping is slapped together and in my view much too small to work on a siphon set up. At this time I have a 120 volt circulating  pump in line to move the coolant into a 100 lb open propane tank filled with water.  Has any one else got this head problem on there engine? I understand it was not Crosby’s doing, It was a cost cutting move by the assembler Grrrrrrrr. :(
(If I could figure out how to post a picture I'd add some photos.)

chrisinnh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:53:23 PM »
I just bought a Metro 6/1 from Sam Crosby on Saturday.

Heckuva nice guy.

My 6/1 has a water pump, fan and radiator.  I haven't looked at it much beyond that, but will be looking for the PI markings next time I'm in the shop...

/chris

theloadarranger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »
Metro 6/1 from Sam, haven't seen any P1 markings and have had it apart a couple of times.

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »

6/1 Metro genset. The head is stamped in two corners P in one and I in the other.
You can see it by removing the valve (head) cover.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:40:49 PM »
Wrightkiller and I have already corresponded on this - my 6/1 is just a few serial numbers from his.  It also has the Purusharth Industries marking on the back of the crate data plate (identifies it as an Aclass engine), and has the PI logo on the exh. valve and assorted other places.

Wrightkiller - Where are you finding the logo on the piston and rod?  I've found some miscellaneous marks, but nothing like the stamped PI logo.

Incidentally, the camshaft retaining ring and cam shaft are stamped 5/1 on the blank end for your identification convenience.
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

kenr7101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 11:36:28 PM »
I have a 6-1 Metro from Sam Crosby.  Hell of a great guy, very helpful, very quick reply to questions.  Has parts on hand and very prompt shipping. :)

droptop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
I got one this spring with a 3K generator.  Have been super busy this summer with other things but got the engine running. The only problem so far was the "gunk" in the fuel filter and paint on the lifters that slowed the valve action.  Scraped the paint away from the seal on the bottom of the rod near the compression relase and it ran great.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 08:23:24 AM »
   Five total from Sam. One DI 3KW and four of his latest serpentine drive 4KW's of which two are still in crates. (and available). For those of you with the latest head, check the resistor mounted on the rr cooling grate. One of the wires feeding it broke and while repairing it I noticed that the grate (too strong a word for this POS) was broken at several points around the resistor.  I remounted it with rubber cushions and at an angle so the vibrations don't occure all in a row. (Does that make sense?) Anyhow, it seems to be doing fine.             Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

al riley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:44:01 AM »
I have a 6-1 4k kit from sam crosby i picked it up myself it has aprox 175 hours on it and it is ok no problems it is a very good kit for the money.

Kurt802

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »
I just received my METRO 6/1 CS  and its has alot of PI castings. Everything internal is great.  The valve strikers and push rods are a bit rough.  Valve caps are loose.
Overall I am very pleased and suprised at how good it is after reading the Utterpower CD-R
Kurt

aerobat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »
I have a 12-2 that I pruchased from Sam last Spring.  Not to much run time yet. 
Doug
Kennebunk, Maine
Metro 12/2 with 10kw ST head,  Petter AC-1

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 10:39:43 PM »
I just got my 6/1 with the 4kva indian head.  Did any of you guys get a 4kva head and not a 4kw head?  So far the cranck case looks good and I did notice that POS grate that the resistors are mounted to.  I will remount the diods  right after i get it all setup.  I plan to build a steel frame out of 3/16 x 2.5" box steel mounted to 2 full 8"x8" lumber 42" long.  I plan to bolt these pieces of lumber to my concrete floor I may try some type of resilent product under the lumber to help with vibrations.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:35:56 PM by carlb23 »

Biloxibad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
sent him the money for a 6/1 on Thursday 05/01...
Metro lister6/1
Jiang Ling zx1125
ST15
Baldor 20 3 ph 3450
Baldor 10 Hp single phase 1750

Biloxibad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
I received my 6/1 from Sam Crosby on the 15th of march,  Couldn't contain my self so went into it from the bottom end.. It was very clean, no sand, I poked with the needle probes in all the corners, and mirrow up into the piston.. no sand..

I removed the rod bearing to inspect the crank journals, and found them very clean and polished,  the oil borings matched the insert bearing holes.  I didn't plastiguage the clearance as it "felt very good" .   

The mains I inspected very carefully as much as I could without pulling the crank,  they were clean and smooth.  My Steth positioned close to both ends of the crank, revealed a tone, like a continuous bow drawn over a violin string where the main seals were dragging on the crank ends.. , Rather than pull the crank, I tipped the engine on eacc side for 4 hours with some 5 wt oil to seep into the seals to Quieten them down. It worked..

The timing idler gear is a cast gear with more than what I consider acceptable back lash, and is the loudest noise in the engine when turned over with compression release.   The lifters rotated immediately with hand cranking before even starting..

SInce the bore was so clean inside when viewed from below I did not pull the head, but did look carefully for sand in the castings from the outside and found none. Align ment of the rockers to valves was good though I thought that the oiling, (very small manually oiled holes, one on each side of each rocker) was a bit too primitive and bears watching.

I set it up on 2 timbers 6 x 8 and lag bolted it to them for a no-load start..

After bleeding the injection lines to all the way to the injector, once everything was tightened.. I cranked it over 4 times to get up momentum in the flywheels, and poped the compression release.   It started first time.. 

VEry quiet when idling, the loudest noise again is the timing gear lash.. so I am a candidate for an adjustable timning gear bolt assembly.

The pepper can muffler is ok when idling, but under any load it has a very stark CRAK CRAK and will need some major additional muffling.

I ran it for 5 hours  under modest load, (electric space heater off of my ST15 and it slobbered from the muffler continuously.   

Lower end inspection showed no wear on the insert bearings or journals, the cam set up was very oily when examined so seems to be oiling very well from the dipper.   Oil color had turned from a golden honey to a slightly darker honey..  My magnet had no particles on it, and no sand in the sump.  So I put the oil back in the crankcase and have run it for another 20 hours or so.  No oil usage as determined on the dip stick, and the oil is getting darker but is nowhere appearing nearly as black as I had anticipated, considering that it is still slobbering out the muffler.

I have a 20 HP baldor 3 phase motor using one leg synced into my individual power grid using it as a back up when peak loads are too much for "Bertha"  . Bertha is my 28 HP "Changfa clone" powering the ST15 for 18 hours a day to keep the boss happy.

Since I didn't pull the head, I do have a question for other Metro owners:  Is it ID in IDI ?

Thanks
Steve
Metro lister6/1
Jiang Ling zx1125
ST15
Baldor 20 3 ph 3450
Baldor 10 Hp single phase 1750