Puppeteer

Author Topic: Witte Diesel Electric Genset  (Read 4057 times)

Ironworks

• View Profile
Witte Diesel Electric Genset
« on: September 17, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »
I came across this engine while I was searching for an original Lister.   Its  12 hp Witte single, 720 rpms, 8 KW head.  Has a pony starter.  Real nice unit.  I am the new owner  ;D  and very happy indeed.  I will continue to look for an original Lister though. 

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

europachris

• View Profile
Re: Witte Diesel Electric Genset
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 07:34:36 PM »
Mmmmm, that's nice!  Very nice find.  Wish I could dig up something like that, but then again, I wouldn't have any place to put it!

Is there any way you can get some video of that puppy starting up and running when you get a chance?  We'd love to see it!

Chris

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:18:18 PM »
Very cool.  I could find a place to put it. :)

Just a hint on links to coppermine.  If the word "lastup" is in the link it will likely not link to the pic you intend after more pics are uploaded.
You need to go into the gallery to get the link.
This one should work better.
http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=105&pos=0

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:36:31 PM »
I am glad you bought that engine, I looked at it before going with a Listeroid. It's nice, really nice, and it needs a good home. The voltage on the generator was a little low for my intended application, I did not dig around in the genhead doghouse but I suspected it was wound for 3 phase and I really needed single phase at this point... I may move up if the research warrants it.

But I found nothing wrong with the engine at all, and you got a good deal if you have an application.

The other reason I shyed away from the Witte (and I love em) is that for a primary power supply off-grid I will need to stock a full complement of parts... And spares of things like injectors and pumps were simply not to be found.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:39:24 PM by Rtqii »

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
I was curious if you started this engine when you looked at it?  If so what were your observations?  The generator is 3 phase, which is great because I will be able to run some of my 3 phase equiptment with it.  It also has an exciter for AC.  I'm going to have to study up on the electrical part of this unit.  I'm more inclined to turning wrenches.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:10:43 PM »
I am confused.  Your coppermine link shows a boat.  Does this mean that the engine needs a really large volume of water to cool properly?  ;D

Oh, I see someone saw the error and posted a correct link.  Nice score!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 12:15:14 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion