Puppeteer

Author Topic: Here is the only oil for your lister!! (Or any other Engine)  (Read 25103 times)

listermandan

Here is the only oil for your lister!! (Or any other Engine)
« on: January 01, 2006, 07:01:56 PM »
I have owned my 6/1 lister clone for over a year now and I think it is one of the things I enjoy most in life. A friend of mine that owns a trucking company came over and checked out my engine as he could not belive that I burn his used motor oil for fuel. The first thing he said was you need to be useing 5/30 Amsoil heavy duty diesel oil in the crank case!! Ed is a very smart man so I ordered some, drained out the 15/40 Rotella,cleaned out the sump and filled her up with the Amsoil, Boy was I shocked!!! I gained 39 RPM!! I went in to emergancy shutdown Too many RPMs for this engine! So I backed off the govenor. Later on I  put various loads on the jenny. The horsepower went up 40%!! I can now run my 5000watt clothes dryer and the microwave at the same time! Just thought I would let you guys know if you want to use less fuel have more horsepower and cut out the wear and tear try amsoil! Thanks Dan P.S. I have changed all of my vehicles over to Amsoil with excellent results. Here is a link.   http://www.lubedealer.com/Easterniowasynthetics/ ;)

>:(
MODERATOR:  I Hope this is not an attempt to highjack the form for sales.  The membership don't mind a blatant ad, but are a little more than miffed at someone trying to make sales through the use of "Nom de plumb" or other name to sell your product.  Your IP has been logged, and will be checked against future claims of Amsol success.
[/size]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 11:27:08 PM by t19 »

quinnf

Re: Here is the only oil for your lister!! (Or any other Engine)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »
Oh where to begin . . .

listermandan

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »
Do you use Amsoil?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 10:31:30 PM »
If in fact this post is 100% accurate, it could very well be that a discovery has been made. The very same one Nascar racers have known about for 2 decades. Thinner oil produces more HP. Of course the oil must protect well for this to work.

Take a look at the viscosity of Amsoil at the oil temps the Lister runs at. Compare with the other oil. You may find some striking differences.

Nevertheless, thank you for the heads up. Used oil analysis will be able to determine if this is safe to do in a Lister.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

listermandan

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »
Boy does'nt take much to make someone mad arround here! Anyway my next project is to couple two 6/1 listers together and run them in tandem. Has anyone here tried this before? Thanks again.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »
Hmmmm....let's see now,  the Lister has a mechanical governor so it can't increase RPM, only change the rack position.
 40% horsepower increase ??!!

That's why the warning.  Nobody is mad, only tired of wading around in internet BS and we've decided to sit under the tree of truth through experience and swat spammers.   ;D ;D

THAT being said--- I'm a firm believer in thin synthetics, whether it be Amsoil, which I've used for thirty five years, or another brand.  There IS less load on the engine and auto engines usually idle too high.  It DOES decrease the amount of gear drag in transmissions. I've driven over a million miles with it in several very high milage rigs without an oil related failure.  THAT'S all *I* know.   ;)

I'm going to try (a more readily availble) synthetic in my Lister once I have a date certain for bearing changes. I *think*, from past experiences with used trucks, there will be a drastic increase in oil consumption and probably a knock.  With other engines I've had good luck adding STP to kill the knock and just add oil and a filter once in a while and forget 'changing' the oil.
Amsoil is GREAT stuff in manual transmissions and differentials in cold weather.  There can be some amazing increases in winter-time gas milage with no other changes.
*your milage may vary.*

<my dad once cornered a fast talking 'gas saver' salesman at the county fair.  The guarantee was "10% gas savings, buy two and save 20%."  My dad ask why not buy eleven of them and make gas?   The sales guy finally had to back off when the heckling started.>
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »
Boy does'nt take much to make someone mad arround here! Anyway my next project is to couple two 6/1 listers together and run them in tandem. Has anyone here tried this before? Thanks again.

No one is mad, but we have had some people log on to the site with multiple personnalities and start praising each other.  You, with only three posts started to look like you would be following that path.

Now, you are going to link two 6/1?  THat should be interresting, will they fire 180 degrees off of each other?  How will you link them?  Make sure you have a video camera avail to film it, that would be interresting to see.  Question, why not buy a 12/2?
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
  • Computer geek gone low tech!
    • View Profile
    • My alternitive engine projects
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 04:57:17 AM »
After reading this thread, it seems like ListermanDan's enthusiasm for Amsoil may have raised our collective red flags in our "BS-O-Meters", but I am sure a video of tandum 6/1's would be proof that "snake oil" is not his business. 

I am writing this though, because I actually need some advice from the forum.  All my parts are pretty much in for my VegOil generator, but I have stilll not even started up  my 12/2 and the crankcase is still dry because I don't know what I should do about engine oil.

I read that there is pretty much unanimous consent that synthetic oil is a good move for the Listeroid, and that it is in fact best to start from the begining on synthetic oil rather than switch over after using a standard oil. Does anyone have any reccomendation for which synthetic I should go with.  Where can I get Amsoil locally?  Is there another brand that people have experience with that my local Pepboys or AutoZone would stock?  I see that there is standard moter oil that says it is formulated especially for diesel engines, but I have not seen any synthetic motor oil that markets itself for diesel use.  Also, since I intend to run diesel and waste vegetable oil, is there any additional consideration regarding my motor oil choice?

I sure am anxious to fire up the 'Roid, any advice would be apprecated.
Converting everything I own to run on WVO

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »
I would do more research into using synthetic oil for start up…there is a line of reasoning that it may be too good of a lubricant and that it will affect the ability of the rings to seat etc.  After that, there seems to be a lot of opinion on oils/viscosity/temperature/filtering etc….I believe the area most discussed on Listeroids is lubrication….

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

kpgv

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »
Ditto to Joe.
Synthetic is a poor (too good) choice for break-in.
I do, and have used synthetic oils for over twenty years.
"Dyno" break-in oil for an engine with new cylinders, and/or rings was always V****** 30 wt. Racing (Non-Detergent) oil.
IMPO, to justify the expense of synthetics, you need to have a HIGH Temp and/or HIGH LOAD situation, (and HIGH DOLLAR).
My main use of this was in a 7000rpm air cooled engine that routinely produced 300+ deg.F oil temp, that had to GO with little or no warm-up.
My experience was that the cam lobes wore faster, but otherwise, it is superior.
Oil temps that Listeroid runners have quoted are too low to justify the expense of synthetics.
Bearing loading and speed is also VERY low in these.
See Hotaters (in crankcase) filter screen post. IMPO, changing "fossil" oil two or three times more often is better than paying two or three times as much for synthetics.

Kevin

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 01:56:31 AM »
It seems like most folks don't want to bother reading this, but this weblink has an incredible explaination about all the different types of oil and the differences between.  http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
  • Computer geek gone low tech!
    • View Profile
    • My alternitive engine projects
Dino oil for break in?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 03:17:19 AM »
So are you folks suggesting that I first break in the listeroid with regular diesel engine oil, and move to synthetic only after I have run the engine past the break in period?
Converting everything I own to run on WVO

kpgv

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 05:44:50 AM »
IMPO...Break in on regular oil... Nothing fancy...Synthetics can keep the rings from "breaking in". They lube too well.
Others may disagree...

Kevin

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 05:41:27 AM »
Guys I am new to Listeroids and the first thing I thought of was running synthetic in them.  I would rather use the 10W30-30 Diesel oil just off the top of my head.  It has a 12 TBN which is a high additive package for use in heavy truck/off road applications.  I would guess the new 4 stroke oil above would not have the high additive package but haven't checked either.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 06:30:56 AM »
there has been concern and observation made to the effect of not using any oil with a detergent package on these engines
as it keeps the particulate matter in suspension,
without a full flow filter system this particulate matter makes for a good lapping compound, and wear out your engine

non detergent oils allow for the particulate to settle out as sludge in the bottom of the crankcase.

do they make a non detergent synthetic oil?

also it has been discussed the use of multigrade oil, in that it may not have the sufficient load brg capability, and lead to rod brg flaking

just passin along the info, use as you see fit.

myself i will probably go with 30 weight non detergent winter and 40 weight summer, until i can get a better feel and understanding of the engines actual needs

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info