Puppeteer

Author Topic: 1978 Case 680CK Tractor Loader Backhoe  (Read 11744 times)

Rtqii

• View Profile
1978 Case 680CK Tractor Loader Backhoe
« on: September 09, 2006, 08:41:45 AM »

I probably have cursed myself... But the price is right... In fact the dealer was so anxious to throw this bucket of oil at me, he severely discounted the price. I am starting to get nervious after the fact.

Case is known for strong engines, and their diesels are pretty top of the line in construction and agriculture. They don't do well at tractor pulls because the engines and frames are so damned heavy... That is what I bought, the engine and frame.

It runs, everything works fine... But several large cylinders need to be repacked, it leaks like a sieve. I need to design some hydraulic drive systems for my engine room and awhile back Guy suggested I study how the hydraulics are set up on a digger... What better way I thought, than to own one.

Besides I have to move many cubic yards of soil and rock to put a new place up.

The engine is pretty strong, 4 cylinder diesel, I have not gone thru the manual yet to see what the rated HP is... It does not smoke excessively, the guy said it does not use oil but I figure he does not really know; he's a salesman.

At least he was upfront about the hydraulics leaking and I am going to have to dry things up before I can get serious work out of this machine. Does anybody have any primers on how to repack hydraulic cylinders?  I can get seal kits cheap, and with the leaks dried up this machine can be sold for a lot more than I paid for it when I am done working it... If I can bear to part with it.

But I have never repacked a cylinder before, and this is the first hydraulic system I will have hands on experience with.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:48:23 AM by Rtqii »

rocket

• View Profile
Re: 1978 Case 680CK Tractor Loader Backhoe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »
that is a great looking new toy. i hope it works well for you... you are doing something i have been dreaming about doing for sometime.. i hoipe i am as lucky to find as good a deal.

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 10:03:28 PM »
that is a great looking new toy. i hope it works well for you... you are doing something i have been dreaming about doing for sometime.. i hoipe i am as lucky to find as good a deal.

The guy who has owned it recently and has been... ummm... 'taking care' of it is quite the card... Windows on these things get broken and vandalized on a lot of construction sites, he replaced the broken glass with skylights.  The orginal seat is gone, he bolted in a swivel office chair with arm rests... At least it is mounted correctly and you can turn around and work both sets of controls. It is also comfortable.

I need to spend some hours in the cab with the manual on my lab learning the controls, then learning to drive this beast... The brakes do work, everything works... But I would really feel more comfortable if I engaged in this learning process after hauling this beast down to my property where I can't destroy anything.

Water on my place is a problem.... I have analysed the satellite maps and topos and walked around looking at the vegitation... It's been years since I have witched water but I already know two spots where I feel there is water at 40 ft or less, and 20 ft is actually more likely... The problem is these spots will probably only yeild significant amounts of water after the rainy season and the wells would go dry for 1/2 year or more... There are a couple of nearby wells (2 miles & 3 miles) and a spring (1/2 mile) down hill from my land, but they are all much lower and/or tap larger water sheds. My water shed is restricted to the 160 acres right around me. 

With this in mind I intend to put in a large cistern and cachement systems with above ground tanks. I will put up a small tower for water pressure. With the ability to store 10,000 gallons I can see fit dam a couple of shallow washes and see about using the backhoe to dig down behind the dam in an effort to hit the deeper ground water... Then install a pump. There are good rains periodically, when it comes you have to get the water up and into storage and then conserve for the dry months.

The problem really is that with a small water shed and shallow water the actual quality of the land is very important... Running a machine that leak hydraulic fluid all over this type work will ensure the water ends up with oil leaching into it.

As far as dreams... I suppose in some form or another I have dreamed about something like this project, but it was simply too far out to ever be realistic. What happened was the course of my life made it a necessity... I am not doing this so much because I want to or this is something I have always dreamed of... I am doing this because this is simply how it has to be done, and it's a hell of a lot of work, time, and money getting set up... I end up giving up a lot of things I enjoy (nice restaurants close by and city services for instance)... But I figured as remote and hostile as this area is, if I took the time, put in the work, spent the money, and do things right I can be very comfortable and have all the things I really _need_.

Once I am done my cost of living should be extraordinarily low... Food and maintenence only... No utilities, no commuting to work, if I end up going out once a month for food and to collect waste oil wearing greasy overalls and looking like a country moron...

I would smile  ;D

Anybody know how to repack hydraulic cylinders?

slowspeed1953

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 01:59:47 AM »
Hey brother where is your plot?

Peace&Love :D, Darren

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 02:16:34 AM »
Hey brother where is your plot?

Peace&Love :D, Darren

LOL... Good question  :D ;)

Heavyopp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 03:39:13 AM »
Right up my alley with this one. 

The hydraulic cylinders are a snap to repair.  BUT you must have the proper tool and you must get it apart within 2 tries.   See the 4 holes in the top piece of the cylinder...  You need the spanner wrench from case to fit into 2 of these holes.  About 90 bucks for the tool.

There is usually a set screw in the side .  Find it and remove it first!!!!!  It should be right in the threads close to the end.

Now heres the trick. You have to get that piece to break free with in 2 tries.  You only have 2 sets of holes to use the wrnch in. Once they are all buggered up thats it.  No more place for the wrench.   It will take 2 people.  First guy holds and lines up the wrench with heavy leather gloves.  The second guy turns the 3/4 drive wrench but you won't do it without an extension on it.   I dont care if your holding a pipe in the next county, sometimes it has to be that long, but hold it level. pull straight and don't bounce.   If it slips and buggers up  set of holes then get out the torch and heat up the cylinder only.  just the top inch where the top piece threads into.  Cherry it then try again.   I've never had to get help as they have always come apart. 

Once apart its cake.  Pull the rod out and on the end there's  a large nut.  Take that off and you should get it from there.

You will not use all the seals in the kit. One kit is for 1 cylinder but they are not all the same.   Just take the seals out and place them in order on the bench.  Replace in reverse.

Put the cylinder together carefully to not tear the new seals.

Once together get the cylinder to the right length and fill  it with fluid.  Case has a special hydraulic fluid get it from them. You must get as much air out of the piston as possible before connecting the hoses. 

Good luck.  Have fun.

Jer 

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 05:29:02 AM »
Thanks jer ;)

I knew there was a trick to them... I did see the set screw on the side of the cylinder near the top and figured it needed to come out... But for the life of me I could not see how to get the cylinder apart.

I will inquire about the Case tool to remove the end cap, I understand the process perfectly now. It would seem to me that cleaning the top thoroughly and some kroil around the top would help, kroil in the hole where the set screw is removed. But it's not like these parts aren't well lubricated  :D :o

I take it everything must be tightened back down just as firmly.

I question about the absolute necessity of using Case hydraulic fluid... I would tend to think this is just their way of increasing profits by rebranding some fluid and selling it at a higher markup...

The loader hydraulics seem pretty dry, but on the backhoe both pivot cylinders cry like babies and the tears are red oil... The main boom cylinder is also wet and dripping when raised but it's not making noise like the two pivot cylinders.

Once I get these jobs done it looks ready to go... Oil change and all the filters.

I have considered just dumping the entire tank of hydraulic fluid, draining all the cylinders and pump case and pouring it into the fuel bunker with all the rest once I get the backhoe hauled down to my work/home site... Then refilling with fresh fluid.

Having a place to store and a use for waste oils makes me smile... I am going to approach some hydraulic service companies about picking up waste fluid and setting up a regular route to get my bunkers filled. Everything on site is diesel engine driven, I will keep my gasoline car for awhile at least, but it will have to be shuttled in and out to the improved road. I have a feeling once I get the truck configured to run on bunker oil I won't drive the car much, and I see no reason why the Case loader won't run on bunker oil too...

Heavyopp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 05:13:34 AM »
The case fluid is your call.   Who knows what's in it anyway.  Most machines spec different fluids just that some call for certain additive that are only found in their fluids.  Me, for the meager difference in cost,  would use what they ask.  If you do it right its a 1 time event.  It's not like motor oil that gets changed regularly.  Most likely, with the use your gonna give it,you will never need to replace the hydraulic oil once the seals are done. 

I've got a few different brands of machines. The case and Kubota are the 2 I use their special fluids in. Especially in a hydrostatic drive Kubota.  The Cat gets generic and I have yet to need anything for the Komatsu. 

You don't have to kill yourself tightening things back up.  They are just stubborn getting apart. 

Jer

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 10:51:09 PM »
not sure of the year best guess 72- 78 case 580c extendahoe. been using 68wt antifoam antiwear for years. yes its seen better days lose a little from everywhere but have had no major probs using this oil. the power shuttle does call for atf and that is what it gets.