Author Topic: Onan P2305  (Read 12091 times)

vacuum1313

• View Profile
Onan P2305
« on: August 28, 2006, 03:11:48 AM »
I have found an ONAN P2305 600 volt genset in a local scrapyard.  Due to the diesel motor the owner wants $600 (canadian).  I would be looking to use it as a project motor for WVO and woodgas.  The genset has the following ratings, Continuous output 12.5 kW, 15 kVA, 14.4 Amps, 3 phase, 60 cycle. I thus have the following questions;

1) is the motor appropriate for the intended use?
2) Is the price reasonable?
3) What would be necessary for grid intertie?
4) Does the Generator portion need to be replaced or can a transformer be added t reduce to household current?

Any advice is appreciated.

Procrustes

• View Profile
Re: Onan P2305
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 04:35:50 AM »
I can't advise you on how much you should pay, and I wonder if anyone can.  Reviving it might be a herculean task, or it may be refereshingly easy.

The consensus seems to be the indirect injection is better for WVO, however there is a multifuel military engine which is direct injection and can burn heavy oils like WVO.   There's a writeup of wear testing on engines running WVO, I think on journeytoforever.com -- Kubota diesels wore substantially faster on VO.  I believe it tended to draw away chromium or some other metal.

Grid tie requirements differ from state to state in the US, I don't know if there's a blanket policy for Canada or not.  Your utility should be able to help you.  At a minimum they will probably want you to have a device in place that will prevent you from sending power out into the grid.  Some inverters such as a line by Xantrex offer this.  Google for "grid tie" an Xantrex.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:55:12 PM »
Don't know what part of Canada you are in by for ontario look here

http://www.hydroonenetworks.com/en/electricity_updates/renewable_technologies/default.asp

WVO or VO is Biomass
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:54:48 PM »
Does anyone know if Hydro Que. has any such provisions for Net metering? Nothing mentioned on their web site. We must still be in the dark ages. binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:36:40 PM »
  Try here:
http://www.hydroquebec.com/autoproduction/en/index.html

ex: bill:
http://www.hydroquebec.com/autoproduction/en/mesurage_net.html

Others;  check your utility bills for you supplier company.  The people who have responsiblity for putting electricity into your meter should be the ones to determine if you can do back feeding of power and how it's billed. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:54:52 PM »
Many thanks , bitsnpieces...appreciate the quick service...binnie(pleasantly surprised).
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
binnie:  not too much of a deal, since I got cable internet instead of dialup, things go faster.  My disability keeps me from doing all that much, so I spend a lot of time on the www.  5 years to 8 years ago the www was about all that kept me going.  SO, I have a HUGE favorites folder [6,032 files].  Plus I love finding out about new stuff.

vacuum1313: 
1) Still trying to find the engine.
2) No idea, are you willing to spend it considering the shape it's in? 
3) See previous post in this thread.  Your electric supplier would be the one to tell you.
4) Depending on the wiring it might be able to be reconnected to give single phase at three times the amperage.  Basically 14.4 A {phase A} + 14.4 A {phase B} + 14.4 A {phase C}, 43.2 amps/single phase .  See if there are nine(or 12) leads coming out of the windings.  { hot/neutral/hot for each of three phases, plus a ground??}   A transformer could be used to drop the 600v.  Is that a non-USA voltage? 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

vacuum1313

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 04:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm in Ontario, Canada.  The unit was taken from a local mine where it was a backup unit and has low hours (<20).  The Owner used to be in construction and runs the yard on the side.  He was willing to get the motor running before I bought it.  The Onan Generator Model is 15RDJC-9R/2123A.  Don't know if that gives any additional info or not.  Can't seem to find either that or the motor on the web.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
  Yeah tell me.  I've tried to find older Onan stuff on the www also, usually with little luck. 
Aahh, a Mine, they tend to use specialty designs like aviation.  Could be a standard type model, just reconfigured for the mines use.  Just keep hunting!

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 05:31:01 PM »
http://www.cumminspower.com/www/common/templatehtml/technicaldocument/SpecSheets/Diesel/na/s-1137.pdf

Try this link.  Onan is now owned by Cummins.  This is for a 15kw Onan diesel set and it has a 300/600 volt option, unfortunately it looks like it wouldn't be re-connectable to get lower volts.  At least this might get you headed in the right direction.  Also, they have a habit of wanting you to go to a local dealer to get info.  They have a search for such on the site.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:01 AM »
Hi Considering the cost of rewinding these things, A step down transformer  might be the best way to go.
Besides the transformer you will need a three phase circut breaker box
 Then you can put single phase breakers in the box!

A big plus is you can find three phase motors easily used usualy at a good price.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Doug

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 01:48:04 AM »
600/347 is a standard industrial 3 phase source used in Canada and most mines around the owrld using 60 hz power.

The CEC doesn't allow a residential service to use 600 v power. However your local electrical authority might allow a varience if you gave him a reason such as power for a shop with tools and machines, but your insurance company will have a bird if you try and pipe 600 into your home. Hammond ( Marcus is another brand ) manfactures dry type transformer in the range you would need to drop this down to 208/120 3 phase but your still left with the problem of 3 phase power with a single phase home.

This is probably mopre trouble than its worth.

Doug

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 01:56:54 AM »
Hi There are still quite a few homes wired for three phase down here in the older sections of Orlando. I don't think it is much of a problem.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Doug

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 02:01:50 AM »
Realy? I never heard of 3 phase in a single dwelling...

Learn something new every day....

Doug

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 01:37:30 PM »
  I heard one tale (from someone that was around at the time) that says when air conditioners were first being installed in private homes only industrial 3 phase units were available so 3 phase was run. 

Doug:
600/347 is a standard industrial 3 phase source used in Canada and most mines around the owrld using 60 hz power.
  Thanks for the info.  That's handy to know.