Author Topic: Back up power for the power co.  (Read 3028 times)

dkwflight

• View Profile
Back up power for the power co.
« on: August 12, 2006, 01:03:21 AM »
Hi I thought you might like to look at some gen sets.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/dkwflight/?action=view&current=100_0159-1.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

I don't know much beyond there is twenty reconditioned locomotive engines in this set. I have seen them run with no visible smoke from the exhaust. not much sound either.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Doug

Re: Back up power for the power co.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:40:45 PM »
Basicly you have 3 kinds of power plant. Base loads large coal or nuclear plants that run full power at all times. Next are variable load plants like hydro electric that can increase and decrease their power ouput hourly as needed. Finalnly you have your peak loads plants like this. They can fire up quickly on e a a time or in groups and in a matter of seconds they can provide power to keep the grid stable.

Still a cool picture.....

Doug

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 12:39:55 AM »
Hi I'm working on getting inside to take some pictures. I've been told they can bring an engine on line in 45 seconds. I heard they are using pump diesel for clean running and quick starts.
A few years ago I had an oportunity to tour a hydro storage facility in upstate New York. They would run the hydro generaters as motors to pump water up hill during low demand and let it down and generate electricity during high demand. sorry no pictures
I like big machinery!
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Doug

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:48:41 AM »
Some places also use gas turbines. The local utility here in the Nickel City has two diesel NG gas co-gen plants that provide heat and hydro for the city core. But the Utility is run by idiots apointed by local mental midget politicians. So far this plants have failed to brake even.....

This is why you only use these for peak power.
Doug