Puppeteer

Author Topic: Grouting Question  (Read 11615 times)

Rtqii

• View Profile
Re: Grouting Question
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »
http://www.targetproducts.com/catalog/specsheets/machbasegr.pdf

Some decent info here from the Target link above ^^

http://www.chockfastgrout.com/industrial/index_indust.html

^^ Excellent pdf collection here on the Chockfast epoxy products. I noticed on the anchor bolt section that the recommendation for setting anchor bolts is to cover 12 times the diameter of the bolt... From the anchor hole up to the base of the torqued mounting nut with a 1/4 inch neoprene foam or tape to permit bolt stretching and flex.

Doug

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »
A closer look last night, I even found the product they used. Hilty "Fire Grout" same stuff they use on the doors. Looks like they only shim the pumps and motors and used flat bar under the bases not shims.

Doug

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 04:34:27 PM »
This stuff looks like it would be expensive.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 04:54:05 PM »
I used a grout called Crystex. It is designed for our type of application. 18$ for ½ a cubic foot. I set my hold down anchor bolts directly into the concrete and used the anchor bolt frame as a template to drill my engine frame. I stuck 4 little blocks of pine under the engine frame to hold it up while I poured the grout and left them there. I didn’t use anything in the concrete or grout to let the bolts stretch or move laterally but poured the grout deep enough to surround the bottom of the frame. IMO lateral movement will be of little concern but I don’t know about the stretch factor. I’ll see how long it lasts but will be suprised if it isn't many years.

Thanks, Geno

BTW, the areas I diverged from the suggested manufacturers procedures were do to not doing enough research. I still think I’ll be OK.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:09:15 PM by Geno »

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
Geno, I agree that mount looks fine. It should last for years. I bet you have no shake and vibration problems. If it should fail (and it won't for a long time I bet), you know how to improve it.

Besides, you have some features there that offer a lot of convienience: you have room for drain and drip pans for instance.

Yours is the best engine mount for a Lister type I have seen to date outside of old photos.