Puppeteer

Author Topic: WVO / Methanol  (Read 119 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
WVO / Methanol
« on: October 04, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »

Anyone ever blend WVO with Methanol instead of gasoline?
Say... 75% WVO and 25% Methanol.

How did it work ?
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: WVO / Methanol
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »
I guess it will blend somewhat, since methanol is used in the glycerin wash process.  But why not gasoline, which is a lot cheaper then methanol  (in my area)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
I guess it will blend somewhat, since methanol is used in the glycerin wash process.  But why not gasoline, which is a lot cheaper then methanol  (in my area)

I have access to some FREE methanol
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »

Meth and Veg are insoluble. At least without a catalyst like KOH or Naoh.... such as used in Biodiesel production..... which is what you could do.

It's not rocket science and you don't as most in the bio game will carry on about, have to make perfect Bio. If you are running it in an engine that can take straight oil, then it can take low conversion Bio.
Mind you, this won't give you the volume of oil plus meth, for the most part the meth is lost unless you go to recovery processes that aren't worth it.

If you want to use the meth as fuel itself then you would be better mixing it with Petrol.  I'd mix it lightly though as the stoichiometric mixtures for petrol and meth are very different and unless you adjust the fuel system on a petrol engine you will be running lean.

I would also not put it near any engine that wasn't going to be run dry and sit for even days.  Either use it all up or empty it out and flush the fuel system with petrol... prefrably with a bit of 2 stroke added for good measure to offset potential corrosion issues.

You can always mix a cup of WVO and meth to see the results for yourself. Even if you mix them up they will separate very quickly.